Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well I was shocked at how expensive everything was I mean everything, I had a terrible habit of converting what ever I saw into Dollars.

The TV was Shit lol except for the Soapies, I found it hard that I only had 4 Channels to choose from.

Eating out was a joke you need a 2nd Mortgage.

There appears to be alot more Crimes then when I was there 3-4 years ago.
It's the latest craze is to blow up Public phones box's and set fire to the neighbours cars by the local kids in certain areas of the UK.

It just did not seem like home anymore I could not wait to get back here to be honest.

Poppy.
Mmmmmmm, thanks.

Brace yourself for the barrage....
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Mmmmmmm, thanks.

Brace yourself for the barrage....
Oh Hell I have opened a can of worms
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you my opinion in 3 weeks.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have a Fantastic time Jersey.
I guess I wanted it to be just the way I left it stupidly, and of course it wasn't.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please do.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:35 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was shocked at how expensive everything was I mean everything, I had a terrible habit of converting what ever I saw into Dollars.

The TV was Shit lol except for the Soapies, I found it hard that I only had 4 Channels to choose from.

It's the latest craze is to blow up Public phones box's and set fire to the neighbours cars by the local kids in certain areas of the UK.

It just did not seem like home anymore I could not wait to get back here to be honest.

Poppy.
Are you sure you're not confused with the trailer you saw for the new Michael Caine/Clive Owen movie;

http://www.childrenofmen.net/
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:50 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Are you sure you're not confused with the trailer you saw for the new Michael Caine/Clive Owen movie;

http://www.childrenofmen.net/
Only this afternoon I had to dodge an exploding phone box, it's a right bastard.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Only this afternoon I had to dodge an exploding phone box, it's a right bastard.
.....cor Blimey....an exploding phone box......the wife will never believe this-un.

PS: you must have sussed some way to fake in the champions' cups....no-one has that much free time Gruff.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:55 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

You could always reverse the charges
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:00 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
.....cor Blimey....an exploding phone box......the wife will never believe this-un.

PS: you must have sussed some way to fake in the champions' cups....no-one has that much free time Gruff.
It didn't take long, it won't last, the competitive types will be along soon.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

It didn't take long, it won't last, the competitive types will be along soon.

Ah, must have re-set the scores then....
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy.

Oops thought I had logged into the Aussie forum by mistake then.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 1:04 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We are planning a trip over for a few weeks end of summer and it's going to cost a bomb - everything will be expensive because of the exchange rate. If you think in GBP some things will seem about right in price, but when you convert to dollars it will be darned expensive.

We are planning to get a self contained place on a weekly basis in one place and another and most of them are 200GBP + a week, which in sterling is not bad, but in dollars that's about $400 a week which to us is expensive. Some places are 300GBP, so we'll pass them up - not in our price range. $600!!

Anyway, it is kind of a fact finding trip as well to see what we think having been away over 30 years.

Looking forward to having some foods that are good and English e.g. bacon,cheese, good tomatoes and a list of things I have made!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:54 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy.
Exchange rate does suck, but then again its only about 10% worse than it was this time last year.

TV is far superior, even with just the 4 channels.

Eating out is ridiculously cheap in the US and expensive in the UK - solution - don't eat out as much.

Crime ?? Did you witness any of this yourself at first hand. Personally I have witnessed no crime since I have been back. Setting fire to cars would happen in only the worst areas, a bit like drivebys in the US - prob not much of a problem if you stay clear of Compton or South-side Chicago.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Exchange rate does suck, but then again its only about 10% worse than it was this time last year.

TV is far superior, even with just the 4 channels.

Eating out is ridiculously cheap in the US and expensive in the UK - solution - don't eat out as much.

Crime ?? Did you witness any of this yourself at first hand. Personally I have witnessed no crime since I have been back. Setting fire to cars would happen in only the worst areas, a bit like drivebys in the US - prob not much of a problem if you stay clear of Compton or South-side Chicago.
Ah ha, you're back then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.