Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 24th 2006, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker
The US stock market is not real at the moment, it is being held up high, and will be dropped on its head soon.
Oh, wacko.......
Old Dec 24th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
A large part of that must be down to their particular financial situation and spending habits. I'm sure there must be some who are struggling on that kind of money, but there are equally many more people earning less than that in the UK, but who are still doing OK. It depends on what their priorities are and what the must haves are of their lives.
I'm still pretty certain that £70 -80k would be a handsome amount to take home for us.
If I got offered £70-80 to work in Central London, I would be travelling on the underground like a shot and similing whilst crushed in the carriage like a sardine. It would be enough to politely decline the six figure salary in NY.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We have thought of that but I'm not sure how they would cope with travelling up North by train (does any one cope) and I haven't looked at the price of flying up to Liverpool. That may be a good option particularly if we drive them to Baltimore or DC to start.

Liverpool??????

Flyglobespan is operating between New York JFK and Liverpool from May 25th. Not too sure when travel dates are.

Jim.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 2:17 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Liverpool??????

Flyglobespan is operating between New York JFK and Liverpool from May 25th. Not too sure when travel dates are.

Jim.
Thankyou. Will check that out. We moved to the US from The Wirral.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

God Bless Tranmere Rovers.

PNE Fan...
Old Dec 25th 2006, 2:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fellow Yorkie Lass...I used to live Nr Chester.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

As for myself, born and raised in Fairfield, Liverpool. Moved to Chester in the Mid-80s and then back to New Brighton in 1987. Moved to Iowa in 1996.

Spent a great deal of my Childhood around Heswall and Thurstaston.

Jim.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 4:34 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I used to live Nr Chester.
"We used to dream of living in Chester "

Sorry ...I just couldn't resist ...

I miss Wigan...Manchester ...Liverpool ..the people ...the pubs ..the curry houses but not enough to make give up the quality of life I have now ....

I have no idea what its like in the rest of the USA but in this backwood surrounded by cornfields it's a near perfect simple way of life ...

The next step is a stab at self sufficiency fruit and veg wise ....then hopefully brewing beer ...

The one regret is not being able to convince the locals that rugby league really is the game of the gods
Old Dec 25th 2006, 4:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
"We used to dream of living in Chester "

Sorry ...I just couldn't resist ...

I miss Wigan...Manchester ...Liverpool ..the people ...the pubs ..the curry houses but not enough to make give up the quality of life I have now ....

I have no idea what its like in the rest of the USA but in this backwood surrounded by cornfields it's a near perfect simple way of life ...

The next step is a stab at self sufficiency fruit and veg wise ....then hopefully brewing beer ...

The one regret is not being able to convince the locals that rugby league really is the game of the gods
So if life is so wonderful in Illinois...why are you posting on here in the early hours of Christmas Day....instead of making merry?
Old Dec 25th 2006, 4:57 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So if life is so wonderful in Illinois...why are you posting on here in the early hours of Christmas Day....instead of making merry?
Because in a few hours I will have 3 children running around happy as could be ...I could have gone out on the piss ..... hell done what I used to do ...banged a few heads as well ... spent the early hours in the local hospital getting stitched up for the next round ...
Instead I'm drinking beer ....watching The Answer and The Frames recorded live in Amsterdam on the net ...glancing over at my gorgeous wife who is baking cookies and... feeling at complete and utter ease with the world ...

Last edited by Circus-of-Power; Dec 25th 2006 at 5:06 am.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 5:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Because in a few hours I will have 3 children running around happy as could be ...I could have gone out on the piss ..... hell done what I used to do ...banged a few heads as well ... spent the early hours in the local hospital getting stitched up for the next round ...
Instead I'm drinking beer watching The Answer and The Frames recorded live in Amsterdam ...watching my gorgeous wife bake cookies and at complete and utter ease with the world

Sorry if your life in the USA is less than ideal ...life is what you make it
Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 25th 2006, 5:08 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Sorry ...I felt crappy for the last line and edited as you quoted me ...

I wish you a Merry Christmas ... and a prosperous New Year ....
Old Dec 25th 2006, 5:39 am
Just Joined

ultranet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hot chicks, Good jobs, living in style, cars, beaches

etc etc

cheers
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:38 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Sorry, that sound like total bollocks to me. We were a family on half that figure, and OK, we were last living there 5 years ago, but we did alright on that money. Anyone who can't manage on that kind of money needs to seriously revise what they spend their money on each month.
Totally agree.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 10:43 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

The prices seem to be going up by the day and we now have the complication of not being able to travel as part of the GC process. At the moment our immigration lawyer knows it will be sometime next year but not exactly when, so we can't the tickets until we know.
I had this problem last year, BA were doing a really good deal, but as I hadn't got my interview date, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to leave. My appointment came through soon after the deal was over, so I missed out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.