Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:14 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Partystar
I know how you feel, I'm a bit of a chef & have had a rough time trying to find quite a few ingredients here. I also like the best food I can get, it takes me hours to shop as I read all the packets, compare brands etc, it gets on my husbands nerves, but I like to know what I'm eating

totally relate to this. I've found I've had to become even more of a chef here cause there's no Lloyd Grossman sauces for when I can't be a**sed to make from scratch!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:18 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
You must keep posting! We'll want to read about your new adventures and the first-hand reports of life at home.
aww cheers. I feel it's my civic duty as I need it so much myself now, but it will be hard to want to come on and post when I am all settled back I can imagine- as hopefully I will have more real friends than I do here and will be busy watching ITV dramas and popping to the shops.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have been looking at properties in the Wilmslow/Bowdon/Hale district of South Manchester. What a surprise I got...they are comparable with similar properties in this area...and they are built of brick. Property tax/council tax whatever it's called now in the UK is a fraction of what we pay here.
Thats pretty good news for me if I can move from London to New Jersey and buy a house for the same price as one in Manchester!

I know you didn't quite intend it that way!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
Things are sooooo cheap in Britain...we just got back from a vacation in the north....a US gallon of petrol, 3.8 litres, was ONLY $6.64 US... .92p x 3.8 litres x 1.9 exchange rate ??
Thats one thing I find strange, that the price of petrol is the same across the UK. Salaries in the North ae less than in the SOuth and fuel costs can make a considerable difference.

It was in the news a few months ago, when I was driving up North, that people would fill up and then say the've got no dosh. A politer way of stealing petrol.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well - I was astonished when I was in England last month. Tesco's has an outstanding range of clothing these days in their 'Florence + Fred' range and it's so inexpensive. The clothes are frequently featured in the UK edition of Marie Claire magazine, amongst the 500 quid dresses.

Tesco's even sell jeans for 3 pounds...

(Getting v. homesick today; been listening to Steve Wright on Radio 2 - all domestic flights from Heathrow grounded today due to heavy fog... and widespread ground frost predicted. I wish I could go and pick up some nice food for Christmas from M&S, Waitrose or Tescos.....even Iceland would do.... )
Could I just point out though, that you should buy your cherry tomatoes from Sainsburys rather than Tescos. Tesco ones are a bit naff. Sainburys are nicer.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:43 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Majj
Thats pretty good news for me if I can move from London to New Jersey and buy a house for the same price as one in Manchester!

Not cheap areas of Manchester - Hale / Wilmslow are very expensive home to quite a few Man U footballers.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
Not cheap areas of Manchester - Hale / Wilmslow are very expensive home to quite a few Man U footballers.
Yep and that's where I'm looking...TV celebs too.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Majj

Location, location, location.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yep and that's where I'm looking...TV celebs too.

You had better be looking for a place in Abersoch, N. Wales as well.....it's where all the (posh/loaded) Cheshire wives spend their Summers.....
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You had better be looking for a place in Abersoch, N. Wales as well.....it's where all the (posh/loaded) Cheshire wives spend their Summers.....

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 22nd 2006 at 6:56 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by RoB1833
What about Man City players? Can they afford it as well
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:36 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
OK, so I ripped off the title from the Daily Telegraph, but "What would make you move back to the UK?"
Better wages....... The fact that people are earning 70 to 80 grand (in pounds) and are just scraping by is scary. :scared:
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Considering the astronomical cost of housing, uncertainty of ever being fully settled again after a time away and some of the horror stories you hear involving starting all over again,.........

Does anyone else feel that regular trips back whilst maintaining a life here is a better alternative to the gamble of going back for good?

Beginning to see it as the only viable option............
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gardnma
Considering the astronomical cost of housing, uncertainty of ever being fully settled again after a time away and some of the horror stories you hear involving starting all over again,.........

Does anyone else feel that regular trips back whilst maintaining a life here is a better alternative to the gamble of going back for good?

Beginning to see it as the only viable option............

Ask me this time next year.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Ask me this time next year.

Oh balls, another year in the colonies...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.