Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:54 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Hayley
Not quite that much.. let me think..
I spend maybe $500 in Costco a month, $200 in WalMart and around $200 to $300 in safeway/ huckleberries (a natural food store) for organic stuff. Holy moley that's scary!!! But I love to cook so perhaps that explains it?

I have to say I hate the grocery stores here- the way they have an aisle for dinner and lunch and breakfast? really confuses me. I can still remember walking into my first grocery store and being really confused. Was looking for tesco's finest ready meals, organic stuff, non- orange cheese. Had to throw out half my meal ideas due to lack of ingredients.

I know, know, I need to try to embrace a new culture of squeezy cheese.
I know how you feel, I'm a bit of a chef & have had a rough time trying to find quite a few ingredients here. I also like the best food I can get, it takes me hours to shop as I read all the packets, compare brands etc, it gets on my husbands nerves, but I like to know what I'm eating.

In England I went to one shop to get my groceries, here I have to go to 3! I get my meat at Sprouts (best tasting, closest to the quality we get back home), my regular shopping at Fry's (it's the closest) & then I have to occasionally pop to Safeway to get a few other things that you can't get in Fry's or Sprouts (one being a very nice pate, very very similar to the ones back home). I'm just glad they're all within a few miles of my house.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:58 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
'Krogers' is called 'Frys' in our part of the US.
what the blinking eck is frys?
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite that much.. let me think..
I spend maybe $500 in Costco a month, $200 in WalMart and around $200 to $300 in safeway/ huckleberries (a natural food store) for organic stuff. Holy moley that's scary!!! But I love to cook so perhaps that explains it?

I have to say I hate the grocery stores here- the way they have an aisle for dinner and lunch and breakfast? really confuses me. I can still remember walking into my first grocery store and being really confused. Was looking for tesco's finest ready meals, organic stuff, non- orange cheese. Had to throw out half my meal ideas due to lack of ingredients.

I know, know, I need to try to embrace a new culture of squeezy cheese.
I had panic attacks the first few times I went shopping here--it's very confusing. I am a big fan of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, although WF is quite pricey. We try to eat organic as much as possible, and definitely no squeezy cheese :scared:
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel, I'm a bit of a chef & have had a rough time trying to find quite a few ingredients here. I also like the best food I can get, it takes me hours to shop as I read all the packets, compare brands etc, it gets on my husbands nerves, but I like to know what I'm eating.

In England I went to one shop to get my groceries, here I have to go to 3! I get my meat at Sprouts (best tasting, closest to the quality we get back home), my regular shopping at Fry's (it's the closest) & then I have to occasionally pop to Safeway to get a few other things that you can't get in Fry's or Sprouts (one being a very nice pate, very very similar to the ones back home). I'm just glad they're all within a few miles of my house.

I haven't been in any supermarkets here that come close to M & S, Tesco and Sainsbury's. The aisles are so narrow and it really p*sses my off how they stick displays in the already narrow aisles.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:59 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

what the blinking eck is frys?
It's another name for the supermarket, Kroger! I'm sure there are a few other names for it too!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

It's another name for the supermarket, Kroger! I'm sure there are a few other names for it too!

we have Kroger here and Fry's but the Fry's is a big electrical/tv etc store similar to Best Buy
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and the roof certainly is.
that's why i said shed coz the whole concept is that of a shed
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:05 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
I moved from Rural North Florida to Rural Yorkshire.

Our grocery bill in FLA was around $300 per week.

Our grocery bill here is around £70 per week.

Both not counting luxuries.

As an example...FLA is the self proclaimed citrus capital of the world yet to buy lemons at the supermarket cost in the region of 30c each, yet I can walk into Morrisons here and buy Turkish lemons for 12p each. ALL food is MUCH cheaper here. Full stop. Even eating out...7 quid per head for a full sunday lunch at the Toby Carvery.

My property tax in FLA on a 3 bed house was around 4500 per year...my council tax on a 3 bed detached house here is 1200 per year.

My car insurance in FLA was 5000 per year for 2 people on 2 cars...here it's 600 quid.

My monthly electric bill in FLA was 250 or more...here its 40 quid.

...shall I go on?

I just got 2 pairs of Jeans, a smart T-shirt and a pair of dress trousers from Burtons...40 quid the lot.

Last sunday we had a 4lb fresh beef rib roast bought that morning from the local farmers market...8 quid. Cooked with fresh local organic veggies also bought from the farmers market for a couple quid. All washed down with local Wolds Beer (70p a bottle) from the local micro brewery.

I'm currently typing this on my 8mb broadband that costs me £15 per month. My full Sky Package costs £40...internet (4mb) and cable TV was $120 per month in FLA.

Rip off Britain? You decide.
Everytime you post I get a little more jealous of you! I have noticed this grocery store rip off in the states I bought jello for a trifle last night $1.19! and it was crappy powder not the cubed stuff that you can steal chunks off of.
Where is the good bread? $2 and $3 for a loaf? and it doesn't even taste as good as Tesco value bread does. I had a 30 quid weekly shopping budget the Uk- granted it was just me and my OH at the time but we didn't live off baked beans it was good quality stuff. I miss the Tesco finest goats cheese and red pepper quiche wonder if they still have it?
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
I had panic attacks the first few times I went shopping here--it's very confusing. I am a big fan of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, although WF is quite pricey. We try to eat organic as much as possible, and definitely no squeezy cheese :scared:
I've seen a whole foods in Seattle- nothing as sophisticated as that in Spoklahoma I'm afraid
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:08 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I haven't been in any supermarkets here that come close to M & S, Tesco and Sainsbury's. The aisles are so narrow and it really p*sses my off how they stick displays in the already narrow aisles.
Oh yeah, I have yet to find one of any comparison. I get you about the narrow aisles, most of them are just barely wide enough for 2 trolleys, then if you add the displays in too, it's like going through a chicane! We shopped in Tesco & Sainsburys back home & when I went home for a visit, I nearly cried when I was in there, how f**kin' sad!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
I have me darling, but I dont mind saying it over and over will get me through this last Christmas over here, about September time and the Bedfordshire area.
you'll be near to me then! hope it all goes well for you I'll have prob vanished by then!
No I'll post here just like old William hopefully to restore some balance
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:10 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we have Kroger here and Fry's but the Fry's is a big electrical/tv etc store similar to Best Buy
We have Fry's Electronics too, I think it's the same company. That's where we bought our Dyson, lots of descent prices in there!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
I moved from Rural North Florida to Rural Yorkshire.

Our grocery bill in FLA was around $300 per week.

Our grocery bill here is around £70 per week.

Both not counting luxuries.

As an example...FLA is the self proclaimed citrus capital of the world yet to buy lemons at the supermarket cost in the region of 30c each, yet I can walk into Morrisons here and buy Turkish lemons for 12p each. ALL food is MUCH cheaper here. Full stop. Even eating out...7 quid per head for a full sunday lunch at the Toby Carvery.

My property tax in FLA on a 3 bed house was around 4500 per year...my council tax on a 3 bed detached house here is 1200 per year.

My car insurance in FLA was 5000 per year for 2 people on 2 cars...here it's 600 quid.

My monthly electric bill in FLA was 250 or more...here its 40 quid.

...shall I go on?

I just got 2 pairs of Jeans, a smart T-shirt and a pair of dress trousers from Burtons...40 quid the lot.

Last sunday we had a 4lb fresh beef rib roast bought that morning from the local farmers market...8 quid. Cooked with fresh local organic veggies also bought from the farmers market for a couple quid. All washed down with local Wolds Beer (70p a bottle) from the local micro brewery.

I'm currently typing this on my 8mb broadband that costs me £15 per month. My full Sky Package costs £40...internet (4mb) and cable TV was $120 per month in FLA.

Rip off Britain? You decide.
Thanks for the further details. Had no idea Fla was so pricey and hadn't realised Yorkshire was so affordable.

Enjoy that 70p beer!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

you'll be near to me then! hope it all goes well for you I'll have prob vanished by then!
I'll have to dust it down each time I go to use the computer and best of luck to you me darling.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

You must keep posting! We'll want to read about your new adventures and the first-hand reports of life at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.