Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What would make you move back to the UK?

What would make you move back to the UK?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:24 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would make you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Just listing my budget like Old William did...or so I thought? Guess that's unaceptable for some unknown reason? Did Old William move from two comparable cities then, and therefore his budget is gospel and mine is rubbish?

William was saying that 'rip off Britain is a myth, and I was merely saying that it's not...and I was curious as to how his grocery bill went from 1200 to 280 quid?
I moved from Rural North Florida to Rural Yorkshire.

Our grocery bill in FLA was around $300 per week.

Our grocery bill here is around £70 per week.

Both not counting luxuries.

As an example...FLA is the self proclaimed citrus capital of the world yet to buy lemons at the supermarket cost in the region of 30c each, yet I can walk into Morrisons here and buy Turkish lemons for 12p each. ALL food is MUCH cheaper here. Full stop. Even eating out...7 quid per head for a full sunday lunch at the Toby Carvery.

My property tax in FLA on a 3 bed house was around 4500 per year...my council tax on a 3 bed detached house here is 1200 per year.

My car insurance in FLA was 5000 per year for 2 people on 2 cars...here it's 600 quid.

My monthly electric bill in FLA was 250 or more...here its 40 quid.

...shall I go on?

I just got 2 pairs of Jeans, a smart T-shirt and a pair of dress trousers from Burtons...40 quid the lot.

Last sunday we had a 4lb fresh beef rib roast bought that morning from the local farmers market...8 quid. Cooked with fresh local organic veggies also bought from the farmers market for a couple quid. All washed down with local Wolds Beer (70p a bottle) from the local micro brewery.

I'm currently typing this on my 8mb broadband that costs me £15 per month. My full Sky Package costs £40...internet (4mb) and cable TV was $120 per month in FLA.

Rip off Britain? You decide.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Sorry about your MIL 60 is no age really My Hub's comes from Ohio, well he calls it bum f**ked Ohio
Thanks--it's terribly sad. She has COPD (obstructive pulminary disease) and had a stroke a few years back. She's the best example of why not to start smoking! We're glad to have time with her, and take some pressure of the rest of the family (sharing the visits, etc).

Still, I am nervous at the idea of moving back, if we do, as I was born and raised in the south and no very little of actual living expenses in the rest of the UK. It was so pricey! It's hard to remember that that is London focused (or so I've learnt from comments/info here).
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, just our local midwest supermarket. Probably like Albertson's in your part of the world? Only listed stores as that is what Old William did--if we didn't buy nappies and such at Sam's our grocery bill would probably be higher. I'm still shocked at his comparison though--$1200 a month on groceries?

You have a little one (and congrats on the one on the way)...do you have to shell out that much?
Florida & Ohio no comparison, Florida is like L.A way off the map with prices on every thing.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
I moved from Rural North Florida to Rural Yorkshire.

Our grocery bill in FLA was around $300 per week.

Our grocery bill here is around £70 per week.

Both not counting luxuries.

As an example...FLA is the self proclaimed citrus capital of the world yet to buy lemons at the supermarket cost in the region of 30c each, yet I can walk into Morrisons here and buy Turkish lemons for 12p each. ALL food is MUCH cheaper here. Full stop. Even eating out...7 quid per head for a full sunday lunch at the Toby Carvery.

My property tax in FLA on a 3 bed house was around 4500 per year...my council tax on a 3 bed detached house here is 1200 per year.

My car insurance in FLA was 5000 per year for 2 people on 2 cars...here it's 600 quid.

My monthly electric bill in FLA was 250 or more...here its 40 quid.

...shall I go on?

I just got 2 pairs of Jeans, a smart T-shirt and a pair of dress trousers from Burtons...40 quid the lot.

Last sunday we had a 4lb fresh beef rib roast bought that morning from the local farmers market...8 quid. Cooked with fresh local organic veggies also bought from the farmers market for a couple quid. All washed down with local Wolds Beer (70p a bottle) from the local micro brewery.

I'm currently typing this on my 8mb broadband that costs me £15 per month. My full Sky Package costs £40...internet (4mb) and cable TV was $120 per month in FLA.

Rip off Britain? You decide.
Great stuff, cant wait to get back
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Great stuff, cant wait to get back

How exciting! When do you go back and where will you live?

(Sorry-you've probably answered that a million times)
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How exciting! When do you go back and where will you live?

(Sorry-you've probably answered that a million times)
I have me darling, but I dont mind saying it over and over will get me through this last Christmas over here, about September time and the Bedfordshire area.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have about the same (material) standard of living we had in the UK. Cost of property in this area is around the same price as the area we are looking at in the UK.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned....college fees...kiss goodbye to 10's of thousands per year...and over a longer period of time than in the UK.

With reference to the comparable cost of property in the US and UK....we are of course talking about wood and plastic in the US vs brick and mortar in the UK.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

With reference to the comparable cost of property in the US and UK....we are of course talking about wood and plastic in the US vs brick and mortar in the UK.
haha bleedin' shed style houses
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have me darling, but I dont mind saying it over and over will get me through this last Christmas over here, about September time and the Bedfordshire area.
Good for you! We'll make sure to ask you every once in awhile so that you can have a smile
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:42 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, just our local midwest supermarket. Probably like Albertson's in your part of the world? Only listed stores as that is what Old William did--if we didn't buy nappies and such at Sam's our grocery bill would probably be higher. I'm still shocked at his comparison though--$1200 a month on groceries?

You have a little one (and congrats on the one on the way)...do you have to shell out that much?
Not quite that much.. let me think..
I spend maybe $500 in Costco a month, $200 in WalMart and around $200 to $300 in safeway/ huckleberries (a natural food store) for organic stuff. Holy moley that's scary!!! But I love to cook so perhaps that explains it?

I have to say I hate the grocery stores here- the way they have an aisle for dinner and lunch and breakfast? really confuses me. I can still remember walking into my first grocery store and being really confused. Was looking for tesco's finest ready meals, organic stuff, non- orange cheese. Had to throw out half my meal ideas due to lack of ingredients.

I know, know, I need to try to embrace a new culture of squeezy cheese.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And you stand a dam better chance of getting out of the house and saving some things if there is a fire :scared:
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Bloddy well hope so an' all!
What is krogers? is it anywhere as good as m and s and waitrose?
'Krogers' is called 'Frys' in our part of the US.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

And you stand a dam better chance of getting out of the house and saving some things if there is a fire :scared:

That's why we have a set of 'escape' ladders under every bed.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha bleedin' shed style houses
and the roof certainly is.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and the roof certainly is.
Them roof's what a joke they are I could not believe my eyes when I first saw them, looks like something you might put on the kitchen floor FFS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.