British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What words crack up your in-laws/friends? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-words-crack-up-your-laws-friends-162456/)

waxwabbit Jun 28th 2003 11:54 pm

What words crack up your in-laws/friends?

Hi guys,

My wife and her family live in MD, and we are holidaying in the US right now, having just got back from N Carolina today.

All my Mom in Law could say was:

MOSS KEEE TOES - father in law, and wife picking on me for that!

LOADS - there are LOADS of _______ affix any word and my MIL said it

Wa**er - my FIL loves that one!

zed - zebra etc Zed is the one that annoys me the most really, as to change our words is one thing, but to change our alphabet! :)

and so many more............

:)

Lee

dunroving Jun 30th 2003 7:17 pm

I teach in a health/recreation/exercise science setting, and whenever I say "leisure", the students crack up (or just look confused), until I repeat, for their sakes, "leeeeeezhure"

dunroving Jun 30th 2003 7:19 pm

Shagging

What cracks ME up is how everyone here in Eastern North Carolina says they love to "shag" (it's a dance.......)

chch Jul 1st 2003 4:28 pm

originally posted by waxwabbit
All my Mom in Law could say was:MOSS KEEE TOES - father in law, and wife picking on me for that!
I don't get it.. how else do you say it?

I think it's quite funny that they bleep out swearing but you hear "wanker" on TV here, maybe the censors don't understand what it means?

doctor scrumpy Jul 1st 2003 4:30 pm

Al Bundy's inlaws came fron Wanker County on married with children.

One of the beter US comedy hows we got over here

waxwabbit Jul 2nd 2003 2:19 pm

When they try and impersonate me, it sounds like im bloody japanese!?

Originally posted by chch
I don't get it.. how else do you say it?

I think it's quite funny that they bleep out swearing but you hear "wanker" on TV here, maybe the censors don't understand what it means?

207lonsdale Jul 2nd 2003 3:19 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Al Bundy's inlaws came fron Wanker County on married with children.

One of the beter US comedy hows we got over here
Yep, *Married with Children* is really funny! Do you remember when we tried to copy that show, I think Russ Abbott played Al Bundy .... I might be wrong on that one, but I do know it was a total disaster!!!

RoB1833 Jul 2nd 2003 8:14 pm

Originally posted by waxwabbit
When they try and impersonate me, it sounds like im bloody japanese!?

When my wife tries to impersonate me she sounds like a member of the cast from Oliver Twist..... not good for the ego of a Northerner!!! :(

MrsLondon Jul 2nd 2003 9:13 pm

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
Yep, *Married with Children* is really funny! Do you remember when we tried to copy that show, I think Russ Abbott played Al Bundy .... I might be wrong on that one, but I do know it was a total disaster!!!
I was under the belief that 'Married with Children' was copied from the British sitcom ' Two point four Children.' The father was played by that guy who died last year...God can't remember his name. The parents' names were Bill (father) and Ben (mother). Am I wrong on all this?

MrsLondon Jul 2nd 2003 9:14 pm

My mother-in-law cracked up when I said I was knackered!
What exactly does wanker mean in the US then? My hubby says he'd never heard the word 'til he came to England.

Taffyles Jul 2nd 2003 9:26 pm

Friends used to crack up when I said I'd come and knock them up in the morning. The whole work place cracked up when I was late one day and I merrily chirped to the boss "oh well you'll just have to sack me"- I haven't lived that one down yet :D

207lonsdale Jul 2nd 2003 9:41 pm

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I was under the belief that 'Married with Children' was copied from the British sitcom ' Two point four Children.' The father was played by that guy who died last year...God can't remember his name. The parents' names were Bill (father) and Ben (mother). Am I wrong on all this?
I have no idea where *Married with Children* originated .... and I never did watch *Two Point Four Children*!
I am not even sure what our subsequent attempt at *Married with Children* was called ..... I saw one episode which was absolutely dreadful, I think it was scrapped shortly thereafter!!

chch Jul 2nd 2003 9:48 pm

Originally posted by Taffyles
Friends used to crack up when I said I'd come and knock them up in the morning. The whole work place cracked up when I was late one day and I merrily chirped to the boss "oh well you'll just have to sack me"- I haven't lived that one down yet
That reminds me - an American friend told me that as a child she always thought when someone got fired that they were literally set on fire! :D No wonder adults dreaded the thought!!

I think I'd rather be sacked..

Taffyles Jul 2nd 2003 11:40 pm

Originally posted by chch
That reminds me - an American friend told me that as a child she always thought when someone got fired that they were literally set on fire! :D No wonder adults dreaded the thought!!

I think I'd rather be sacked..

Me too............but not with my boss, yuk :scared:

robclews Jul 3rd 2003 11:34 am

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I The father was played by that guy who died last year...God can't remember his name.

Was it Garry Olsen or spelling like that, funny guy and very sad

Rob