Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What will be our biggest challenges when we relocate to NJ

Wikiposts

What will be our biggest challenges when we relocate to NJ

Old Aug 5th 2022, 8:16 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will be our biggest challenges when we relocate to NJ

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This not correct, and is at best, misleading advice. A visitor to the US has upto 12 months on their non-US licence, irrepsective of whether they pay for a IDP, which is only a translation of their UK licence, so not especially relevant in the US anyway.

Once you establish residence in a state, evidenced by actions such as buying/ renting a home, starting employment/ a business, putting your children in school, etc. (individually, none of these are necessarily conclusive, but they are all taken as indications) then you fall under the state rules for drivers licensing requirements for residents of the state you are resident in, not the federal rules for visitors to the US.

There is no requirement in the US for a new customer to have to provide an SSN to open a non-interest bearing account, such as a checking (currrent) acccount, unfortunately not all bank employees understand this as obviously most new customers do have an SSN. Many people have reported on BE over the years that they had little trouble opening an account as a new immigrant without an SSN, including at the largest national bank chains. If a branch employee tells you that you "need" an SSN then tell them (use these words) "the USA PATRIOT Act only specifies a 'government-issued ID number' and my passport number satisfies that requirement", and if that doesn't persuade them, ask to speak to a supervisor. .... If you still get rebuffed, it probably isn't worth fighting, so try another bank.

FWIW HSBC seems to be "on its back foot" in the US these days and have sold off most of its US branch network and seems to be focussed primarily on high net worth customers.
It seems that way. I moved all but the minimum monthly direct deposit to keep Premier for free to other banks. I tried to get a name/email/number for my “personal” banker multiple times in the last couple of years but they never seem to stay long enough, by the time I need anything they are gone…. Having no local branch makes them unworkable for depositing some checks, although it looks like they updated the daily limit to $25k in the app, I was getting stopped at $10k before. For buying cars and property you also often need a bank check for which a branch is needed… despite saying they love “cash buyers” most places don’t seem to take cash in large numbers…

When I first moved in 2010 they were amazing… I had an account day 1 with no SSN, checks same day and a bank card within maybe 2-3 days…. I had the same personal banker for about 5 years and it was amazing… would send a 1 line email to get stuff done and if I had to go in to wet ink sign, everything was ready and in and out in minutes.

Old Aug 5th 2022, 8:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will be our biggest challenges when we relocate to NJ

Originally Posted by hannahjane86
I’m just giving my very recent experiences that were explained by both the nj dmv/ nj town police departments/ ....
You're not the first person to report that local police/ patrol officers don't know their own states laws, never mind the federal ones. That said, generally cops are reported to be sympathetic and understaning of the difficulties of obtaining a local "state" licence as a new immigrant to the US, which is why people here on BE advise to "start the process to get a license ASAP, carry records to shpw that you have a test booked/ the process started", and that "you shouldn't have any problems". .... But an IDP isn't really applicable in the case of being a new resident in a state.