Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What were your favourite USa tv shows when you first arrived in the USA?

What were your favourite USa tv shows when you first arrived in the USA?

Old Mar 1st 2006, 9:50 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were your favourite USa tv shows when you first arrived in the USA?

I can't for the life of me think of one programe....its just shite on t.v. here.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:45 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What were your favourite USa tv shows when you first arrived in the USA?

Originally Posted by lionheart
Morton Downey Jnr. show...
Oh my god, I haven't thought about that show in YEARS!!!

I remember watching that show as a teenager, I loved it. He was so brash and in-your-face about everything, and really challenged his guests to be honest and upfront about things. He always had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I remember when he would boast about how he was a chain-smoker, literally blowing smoke into the camera -- until he got lung cancer and then totally changed his tune. Had to have one of his lung removed. Too bad he didn't acknowledge how damaging smoking is sooner, before it killed him, that is...

~ Jenney
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:59 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Oh my god, I haven't thought about that show in YEARS!!!

I remember watching that show as a teenager, I loved it. He was so brash and in-your-face about everything, and really challenged his guests to be honest and upfront about things. He always had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I remember when he would boast about how he was a chain-smoker, literally blowing smoke into the camera -- until he got lung cancer and then totally changed his tune. Had to have one of his lung removed. Too bad he didn't acknowledge how damaging smoking is sooner, before it killed him, that is...

~ Jenney

Just think how I felt being fresh off the boat from the UK........... which is why I loved the show.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Office
My name is Earl
Law & Order - never watched it in UK
Daily Show
Sponge Bob Square Pants
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Real Time (Bill Maher)

Any repeats of stand-up comedians' routines on HBO eg George Carlin, Ellen DeGeneres

American Idol (blushing!!! )

Whose Line is it Anyway?

Repeats of Vicar of Dibley

When I FIRST arrived my husband did not have a TV. He had refused to watch TV for the previous 5 years as he considered all the progs were rubbish (he's American!) When he lived with me in the UK he found he enjoyed many of our progs. We bought a TV here when we moved- and look what happened!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:59 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I like some of the shows on the food network. My husband fancies Giada the Italian cook and I like watching Paula Deen's Southern Cooking because she's like the grandma I never had and stuffs her face with everything she makes.

Apart from that:

SpongeBob Squarepants (obviously)
The Colbert Report
My Name is Earl
Futurama
The Biggest Loser
Seinfeld repeats
Vicar of Dibley repeats on PBS
Kathy Griffin-My Life on the D List
Family Guy
King of the Hill
Dr Who (when it starts on the sci-fi channel soon)
The American version of The Office - even though its crap I still watch it.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:27 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

American Chopper
American Hot Rod
Monster Garage
Biker Build off
Overhaulin'
This Old House
New Yankee Workshop
Family Guy
Mystery Science Theatre 3000
Any Discovery Programme with the word 'Mega' or 'Monster' in the title.

There's a theme there somewhere
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:29 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Miami Ink on TLC - about a tattooist's shop in South Beach, I quite like that one.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:30 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Miami Ink on TLC - about a tattooist's shop in South Beach, I quite like that one.
Is that the one with the Gothy girl? She's bloody good.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:33 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Yeah, she is. It's almost like she's just photo copied a photo on there, the portraits are so realistic.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, she is. It's almost like she's just photo copied a photo on there, the portraits are so realistic.
Maybe it's done with iron on tatoos and clever editing
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Will and Grace and Larry King live

He watches 24 and sometimes House, although I find Hugh Laurie all sexed up a tad disturbing tbh
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:42 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Kat Von D. She's only 22 !!
She's awesome, absolutely gorgeous aswell. People fly from all around the country to be tattooed by her, I think she's probably the best out of all of them.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:01 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

It took me ages to get into American TV but there are a few programs I really like. I just got done watching Celebrity Fit Club 3 and usually I hate reality TV but this show was great.....the celebrities were a good mix and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also love the L Word on Showtime for obvious reasons and I've been addicted to Bad Girls on BBC America although that doesn't count coz it's British! And I have to admit that after several months of not liking Nancy Grace I have a huge crush on her now and watch her most evenings. I know....I am ashamed! I even started a thread about her being an old trollop. I'm so sorry Nancy. You can cross examine me any day!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

blonderose26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thackattack
Mine have been King of the hill, The soup and the late late show with Craig Ferguson. I had seen King of the Hill in the uk but never paid much attention to it, its been on all the time since i arrived in Texas and its very fitting! The soup is a funny show that shows clips from the weeks tv and takes the mickey out of them and since i saw it for the first time i really like this Craig Ferguson guy.

Tell me yours please.
I loved American Hot Rods and the Ellen Show!!!!! I also really loved the worlds most dangerous occupations and Days of Our Lives