Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is up with UK sentencing - again

What is up with UK sentencing - again

Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is up with UK sentencing - again

Originally Posted by Dant3

So a 13 year MINIMUM sentence is actually perfectly in keeping with British sentencing traditions of the last few decades, and not a freakish one-off incident as you would suggest.

but is it right?.........do you seriously think 13 years would be just punishment for taking the life of "YOUR" 2 year old
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by psb182
but is it right?.........do you seriously think 13 years would be just punishment for taking the life of "YOUR" 2 year old
I honestly don't know, and I hope to God I'm never in the position to know. But I DO know that the justice system is supposed to be governed by reason, not emotion, and hence the tendancy to keep victims out of the sentencing process.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think all victims of crime or families of victims should be able to have their say in court as to the emotional damage caused by the accused, after a guilty verdict. Also something I've seen here and I think is a good idea is that victims are allowed to meet with the perpetrators in prison. I think this would make any perpetrator think twice if they could put a face to their crime, and feel the consequence of their actions.

As to being given 13 years for murder, I'm in two minds. I know if it were a member of my family I would want the person to stay in prison indefinitely. However putting that to one side in 13 years a person changes dramatically. Think what you were like at 13 and then 23 and then at age 33. To be punished for a crime that you commit in one decade for decades after seems wrong to me. We need to educate the people in our prisons not further punish them, their punishment IS prison. If we are to make changes in our society we cannot treat criminals as animals as what does that say about society. Two wrongs don't make a right. Think how harsh US sentencing is, and does it stop crime? No. The only way forward in my opinion is to attempt to turn criminals lives around, so when they are released into society they can help make it a better place. And if they don't then at least we gave it a try.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 4:27 am
Winterwords

Originally Posted by Dant3
The average cost of keeping a prisoner incarcerated in the UK is anywhere between 15,000 and 25,000 a year, depending on the prison. The difference between a ten year sentence and a 40 year sentence is potentially 750,000 pounds. You can buy a lot of therapy, drug rehab and career training for 3/4 of a million. If you want revenge, fine, but don't pay for it out of my taxes.
Generally, I have to agree with this.

Also what you have to consider is that the UK Justice system is *meant* to be about rehabilitation, not revenge. It's not perfect, but I prefer it to the US system. You are always going get those who cannot be trusted in society, but locking people up forever should only ever be used as a last resort.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:30 pm
Cushtie Geezer

Conway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the roughConway7 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Newcastle police are after 2 shits who set fire to a house with a 21 yr old woman & her 4 month old baby in. The baby died.

Be careful about this one, as the "facts" may turn out to be not quite what they seemed at the outset!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterwords
Generally, I have to agree with this.

Also what you have to consider is that the UK Justice system is *meant* to be about rehabilitation,
It is to keep people whom are a danger to society away from society.

If a murderer is no longer a danger to society after 8 or so years, why lock them up?

With the likes of Myra Hindly, I think she was kept inside all her life to protect her from society as she'd have been lynched.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

What we are saying is that although the consequences are known they do not act as a deterrent and they should be 'helped' to rehabilitate themselves. So the deterrnet doesn't work and we adopt 'let us help them'. They try it on a lot of them knowing the system is in their favour, imho of course.

Last edited by tony126; Aug 31st 2005 at 2:20 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
What we are saying is that although the consequences are known they do not act as a deterrent and they should be 'helped' to rehabilitate themselves. So the deterrnet doesn't work and we adopt of let us help them. They try it on a lot of them knowing the system is in their favour, imho of course.
getting 13 years in Wormwood scrubs is hardly in their favour.

and come on guys, deterrent?

most of the USA they put you in a chair and zap 50,000 volts through you..........and this place has the highest murder ratio per populance in the civilised world.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

most of the USA they put you in a chair and zap 50,000 volts through you..........and this place has the highest murder ratio per populance in the civilised world.
Basically it is not the prisoners who complain so I cannot say they are not accepting their punishment. It is the do gooders who have a lot to say about it.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

if some one is going to offend they are going to offend....I agree with Manc.....the death penalty doesn't seem to deter people......some people need to be punished....look at crimes of passion they are not constant offenders so why should they be locked up for life?.......every situation is different
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

..and this place has the highest murder ratio per populance in the civilised world.
Not so
Annual rate of homicides per 100,000 people for selected countries.
Homicides
Belarus 10.5
Brazil 23.0
China 1.8
Colombia 61.6
El Salvador 55.6
Finland 2.2
France 0.7
Germany 0.9
Mexico 15.9
Russia 21.6
United States 6.9
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:51 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Ray
Not so
Annual rate of homicides per 100,000 people for selected countries.
Homicides
Belarus 10.5
Brazil 23.0
China 1.8
Colombia 61.6
El Salvador 55.6
Finland 2.2
France 0.7
Germany 0.9
Mexico 15.9
Russia 21.6
United States 6.9
and just how many of those countries would you class as truly civilised?
Brazil? I don't think having the police go around shooting homeless kids is civilised.

Colombia? where you can put a hit on someone for the price of $20 and a bag of hash.......
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:53 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
if some one is going to offend they are going to offend....I agree with Manc.....the death penalty doesn't seem to deter people......some people need to be punished....look at crimes of passion they are not constant offenders so why should they be locked up for life?.......every situation is different
By crimes of passion do you mean murder??..so they aren't constant offenders but they still took a life and what about the victims family?..victims for life grievers for life....the way I see it if you've killed someone intentionally..tough shit you're staying in jail a long time..a repeat murderer /psychopath give them the death penalty .they're beyond help and nobody will miss them.

of course like you said every case is different, in the case mentioned in the OP it seems this idiot just meant to attack a fire truck not kill an innocent child..either way though the kid is dead if he hadn't been firing the gun in the first place that child would still be alive..punish the SOB..so he's ruined 13 years of his life..so what..you have to be alive to even do that yeah?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:56 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

that's cos we're not killing em fast enough manc ...some murderers have been known to be on death row for over 20 years...
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

and just how many of those countries would you class as truly civilised?
Brazil? I don't think having the police go around shooting homeless kids is civilised. Colombia? where you can put a hit on someone for the price of $20 and a bag of hash.......
None are considered third world countries...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.