Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is up with UK sentencing - again

What is up with UK sentencing - again

Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:34 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is up with UK sentencing - again

Guy kills 2 year old with Air Gun. Found guilty for Murder. Given life sentence. HOORAY.... Must serve at least 13 years - AGHHHHH....

When will these judges/politicians say enough is enough. Life should mean Life and perhaps these bastxxrds will think twice - just perhaps.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is up with UK sentencing - again

Originally Posted by franc11s
Guy kills 2 year old with Air Gun. Found guilty for Murder. Given life sentence. HOORAY.... Must serve at least 13 years - AGHHHHH....

When will these judges/politicians say enough is enough. Life should mean Life and perhaps these bastxxrds will think twice - just perhaps.

Scots law, so different to England & Wales.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by franc11s

Thirteen years...that's the time from when I left secondary school to now. Seems like a pretty long time to me to be banged up in an 8 by 12 cell for 22 hours a day. I'll love one of you conservative types to actually spend some time in a real prison and not just take the Daily Mail's word for it that it's all free satellite telly and jolly japes in the shower room.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
Thirteen years...that's the time from when I left secondary school to now. Seems like a pretty long time to me to be banged up in an 8 by 12 cell for 22 hours a day. I'll love one of you conservative types to actually spend some time in a real prison and not just take the Daily Mail's word for it that it's all free satellite telly and jolly japes in the shower room.
If the 13 years is 13. He was responsible for his actions and it is called accountability. 20yrs without parole would have been the least I would have given him. Do you actually know that he is going to be locked up for 22 hrs a day for 13 years? I do not think you do.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Need some case details here.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tony126
If the 13 years is 13. He was responsible for his actions and it is called accountability. 20yrs without parole would have been the least I would have given him. Do you actually know that he is going to be locked up for 22 hrs a day for 13 years? I do not think you do.
The number of hours one is locked in a cell is really not that relevant. It just annoys me when people seem to assume that 10+ years in prison is an easy holiday. It's not, as anybody who has spent a considerable amount of time in prison will tell you. As for 60 years, or 40 years, or 20 years being a more effective deterrent than 10 years, it's all crap. Disembowelling people and sticking their severed heads on pikes never seemed to be much of a deterrent in the middle ages, and electrocuting people to death doesn't seem much of a deterrent today. If torture and death don't deter people, why in the hell would a few more years on a prison sentence?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I hope it is not all jolly japes, after all he deserves every second of misery coming to him. He deliberately aimed and shot dead a toddler for no reason at all, how long before he 'accidently falls down the stairs' in jail ?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much extra the right wing are prepared to pay in taxes in order to keep people locked up for life / longer?

$100 the first year?
$200 the second year?
$300 the third year?

how much extra in taxes to keep people locked up are they willing to pay?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:32 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they should just let him off with a slap on the wrist and make him wear an electronic tag for 6 months. Perish the thought of a child killer spending the rest of his life in prison. That's not conservative, that's common sense.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Got a link to the story? how old was the bloke?

And sentences are going to depend on a lot of things, and 13 years or 20 years, ain't going to bring the kid back, and a stretch like that in prison either way isn't much of a deterant is it, plus future prospects are *****ed either way and he'll just be another burden on society.

Nothing wrong with prison, but it's hardly working is it...
Old Aug 30th 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

And sentences are going to depend on a lot of things, and 13 years or 20 years, ain't going to bring the kid back, and a stretch like that in prison either way isn't much of a deterant is it, plus future prospects are *****ed either way and he'll just be another burden on society.

Exactly. Pointing out that prison is a proven failure and zero deterent is not remotely the same as saying murderers should walk free with a few harsh words.

The average cost of keeping a prisoner incarcerated in the UK is anywhere between 15,000 and 25,000 a year, depending on the prison. The difference between a ten year sentence and a 40 year sentence is potentially 750,000 pounds. You can buy a lot of therapy, drug rehab and career training for 3/4 of a million. If you want revenge, fine, but don't pay for it out of my taxes.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:20 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Here's the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4196980.stm
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Pointing out that prison is a proven failure and zero deterent is not remotely the same as saying murderers should walk free with a few harsh words.

The average cost of keeping a prisoner incarcerated in the UK is anywhere between 15,000 and 25,000 a year, depending on the prison. The difference between a ten year sentence and a 40 year sentence is potentially 750,000 pounds. You can buy a lot of therapy, drug rehab and career training for 3/4 of a million. If you want revenge, fine, but don't pay for it out of my taxes.
So your solution is???
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Newcastle police are after 2 shits who set fire to a house with a 21 yr old woman & her 4 month old baby in. The baby died.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
So your solution is???
send them to Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.