British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What UK chocolate can't you get in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-uk-chocolate-cant-you-get-us-801468/)

Tarnished Jun 29th 2013 3:34 am

What UK chocolate can't you get in the US?

Hey folks,

I'm in England and flying out to visit my fiancé in California in August, I'd like to take a load of chocolate and candy over with me for his kids if I can (I WILL make the kids appreciate the awesomeness of English chocolate over American), but I'm struggling to remember what is or isn't available in the US. Any help?

Are Kinder Eggs are safe to bring over now? :p

Bonus question, what US brand of chocolate is most like UK chocolate?

Beaverstate Jun 29th 2013 3:38 am

Re: What UK chocolate can't you get in the US?

Dear god, not again.

Sally Redux Jun 29th 2013 3:51 am

Most is hard to find.

When my kids get a chance of some they go for Yorkie, Flakes, Rolo, Flying Saucers and Wine Gums, off the top of my head.

See's chocolate is good, and I find the stuff in Trader Joe's is usually more like ours.

Cardienscarf Jun 29th 2013 9:35 am

Even Cadbury's in the US isn't like Cadbury's in the UK so you can't go wrong really. Smarties were always my kids' favourite and are nothing like the US Smarties which are more like Refreshers only smaller.

Weeze Jun 29th 2013 12:30 pm

Kinder eggs are still banned.

Bomjeito Jun 29th 2013 3:07 pm

We can buy pretty much any chocolate via online, so its not such a novelty for you to bring some, but the recipient will be thrilled nonetheless as your cache will have been purchased for much much less and the chances are that they'll get more from you!

What we can't find here though are McCowan's toffee (for example) or other regional items. (Well, we have in some "Irish" shops but they are hard and old...) We get those shipped from friends and family. So if your fiancé fancies something that you can't find at Sainsbury or ASDA, bring that in bulk.

You are fine to bring in Kinder Eggs if you are okay to risk having them confiscated if your suitcases are opened. I bring them in with checked luggage, stashed here and there. I've yet to find an American kid that cares about these things as the chocolate is so thin and the toy is kind of naf. There is a brand here called Choco Treasures that gets around this ban.

ETA: Umm, American kids aren't huge converts to UK chocolate because its all the same to them. For this reason, I don't dole out the UK chocs to my niece and nephew. They are happy as clams with ANY candy. Kids just aren't that picky.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 29th 2013 11:50 pm

Wine gums and Jelly babies. Oh and Galaxy chocolate Mmmmmm

ChocolateBabz Jun 30th 2013 12:40 am

I can get most stuff at our local Brit store at a cost. I love it when visitors bring me a big ole stash. My faves are milky bar, galaxy, maltesers, boosts, twirls, crunchies, mars bars and anything new, I got a couple of maltesers bars recently - yummo!

notonuksoil Jun 30th 2013 2:36 pm

Can't go wrong with cadburys chocolate buttons!

Sally Redux Jun 30th 2013 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 10778263)
I can get most stuff at our local Brit store at a cost. I love it when visitors bring me a big ole stash. My faves are milky bar, galaxy, maltesers, boosts, twirls, crunchies, mars bars and anything new, I got a couple of maltesers bars recently - yummo!

It's usually very old from the Brit stores.

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2013 5:21 pm

Kinder Eggs are not going to teach them about the awesomeness of UK chocolate, because they taste even more like regurgitated vomit than US chocolate does. Bring Galaxy, and lots of it. That'll do it!

Nutek Jun 30th 2013 5:23 pm

Milky bar.

Giant. Huge. Massive amounts of Milky bar.

Also Flakes and Curly Wurlys.

lizzyq Jun 30th 2013 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10779082)

But Curly Wurlys are so small now :cry_smile:

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 30th 2013 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10779082)
Milky bar.

Giant. Huge. Massive amounts of Milky bar.

Are you the original Milky Bar Kid, all grown up now???:sneaky:

Nutek Jun 30th 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10779170)
Are you the original Milky Bar Kid, all grown up now???:sneaky:

Strong and tough. :)