Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What things do you wish you had been helped with when you moved?

What things do you wish you had been helped with when you moved?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:38 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What things do you wish you had been helped with when you moved?

Hi everyone

I am launching a new company that will help and assist fellow Brits in their move to the US. There are so many questions that we need to ask and things that we never think to ask until it is too late. When you moved what services, questions would you have liked help on? So far I have

shipping/moving
insurance - health, auto, home owners
schools
driving
homes
businesses
immigration/visa's
credit history
jobs

Any other input would be great
Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:45 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

A realistic insight into the US job market and what your qualifications and experience will actually mean to a US employer.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:47 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Excellent - any more?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes- UK and US (the first year)
Pensions- UK (whether to make voluntary payments or not
Childrens vaccinations- documentation needed to get them in to school.
Ageing out issues for children nearing 21
Utility deposits etc (under homes I guess)
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

A UK/US dictionary (no, seriously!).
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look at some other international websites for services that relocation companies offer for orientation to see how they compare.

In Singapore my husband's company were prepared to pay for some orientation assistance with a company called "Asian Welcome" when we first moved there, but for various reasons I couldn't go to meet them at the times they offered.

http://www.asianwelcome.com

and http://www.erc.org (employee relocation council) is useful.

We didn't really get any practical help on arrival in the States, although I should have 'pushed' for it; a company called the "Relocation Group" were supposed to be assisting us, but one (very brusque and rude sounding) New Yorker phoned me in Singapore and said "Well, where d'ya wanna live"?. It turned out that she only really knew about Manhatten and zilch about CT, NJ etc. so I just did all the research on my own on the internet.

http://www.relocationgroup.com

http://www.intrepidny.com (seems good but never used them).

(I spotted that they also advised on buying or leasing cars - that would be an advantage to newcomers).
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:11 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Definately Banking for Blondes and even small things like the utility companies and who they are and how they work. US cell phones and landlines.

Last edited by sibsie; Feb 10th 2004 at 7:17 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What things do you wish you had been helped with when you moved?

Originally posted by kazzuk
Hi everyone

I am launching a new company that will help and assist fellow Brits in their move to the US. There are so many questions that we need to ask and things that we never think to ask until it is too late. When you moved what services, questions would you have liked help on? So far I have

<<snip>>
Aren't you the same person who was selling giftbaskets of food at Christmastime? Has this business folded already?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:20 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Yes I am that same person, and no that company has not folded, we are doing very well thank you. I am just a very ambitious and I think this is a great idea that will help a lot of people. Do you have any input?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am that same person, and no that company has not folded, we are doing very well thank you. I am just a very ambitious and I think this is a great idea that will help a lot of people. Do you have any input?
My thoughts are there are many relocation companies/services already in existence providing the sort of services you wish to provide.

Also, this very website, BritishExpats has forums such as the one I'm writing in now where individuals can post and get answers to relocation type questions and this doesn't cost anything.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 6:32 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

ooooooh are you having a bad day?

Yes you are right, there are a lot of other companies, but I think I can offer a better service than many of the existing ones, I am honest and trustworthy and actually a very nice person!!! The reason I am asking for your input is so that I can offer a better service and hopefully be able to help people overcome the difficulties that we all experienced. This forum has been an excellent source of information for me and that is why I asked for your help again. Not everyone finds this forum.

The replies I have had already have been really helpful and I do appreciate everyone's input.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

ooooooh are you having a bad day?
Actually, I am but that has nothing to do with the content of the previous message I posted on this thread.

Yes you are right, there are a lot of other companies, but I think I can offer a better service than many of the existing ones, I am honest and trustworthy and actually a very nice person!!! The reason I am asking for your input is so that I can offer a better service and hopefully be able to help people overcome the difficulties that we all experienced. This forum has been an excellent source of information for me and that is why I asked for your help again. Not everyone finds this forum.
<<snip>>
Despite having all the qualities you list above, you don't mention that you are a good businessman/woman. You might have the best business ideas in the world but if you can't put them into practice due to poor business planning, lack of finance or research into the market, the odds are stacked against you.

My previous post was pointing out that there are many offering what you wish to offer so unless you have the business acumen (and a fine track record), you don't exactly have "a unique selling point" amongst other things.

Call me the Devil's Advocate if you want.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:19 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Call me the Devil's Advocate if you want.
...or just grumpy bastard

Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by dbj1000
...or just grumpy bastard

I wasn't asking you!!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:27 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

Well now I know that I will be successful. I have an excellent business track record, I have 3 successful businesses already. I have even won an award on UK television for my business successes. I have the finances to set it up properly and the business background to offer experience. I used to help small businesses set up and market their businesses back in the UK - for no pay I might add.

So anyway, can I sell you a gift basket or find you your dream home!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.