Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is "thanksgiving" all about?

What is "thanksgiving" all about?

Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is "thanksgiving" all about?

Originally Posted by traceym

Thanksgiving was invented to train Firemen (or are they fire people these days?) Anyway kzillions of numptys go out a buy a big pan, fill it with oil, put it over the highest heat possible and attempt to fry a 20lb turkey. Kitchen fires, smoke and smoke alarms everywhere, newbie Firemen get complete training in a day, thus saving money on the usual 1 month training course.
Do they come dressed in their calendar wear?

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Well, it was. Unfortunately, action figures of drunk middle-aged authors have never generated the same kind of sales as, for example, Star Wars figurines. Thus, over time, non-movie related merchandising has grown to the point that nobody remembers the original purpose of the holiday.
There's a purpose?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Do they come dressed in their calendar wear?

Course they do why else would would you attempt to deep fry a 20lb turkey and burn your house down!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:55 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

I thought it was created to have the biggest shopping day the day after?
Absolutely. I see Thanksgiving as the day you gorge on food and lay around watching Football.

That way you are well rested and full of the energy that is required to stay up until 4am for the doorbusters at the nearest mall.

Then it is time for shopping carnage and madness (mentioned before I nearly lost 3 fingers to an old Grannies cart in a mad dash through Walmart once lol)

Late in the day you get to watch all of those clips of people going mental at other malls all across the country.

God I love Thanksgiving. I give thanks to Black Friday.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Absolutely. I see Thanksgiving as the day you gorge on food and lay around watching Football.

That way you are well rested and full of the energy that is required to stay up until 4am for the doorbusters at the nearest mall.

Then it is time for shopping carnage and madness (mentioned before I nearly lost 3 fingers to an old Grannies cart in a mad dash through Walmart once lol)

Late in the day you get to watch all of those clips of people going mental at other malls all across the country.

Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by traceym
Course they do why else would would you attempt to deep fry a 20lb turkey and burn your house down!
I thought so, but just had to check before I went out and got my deep fryer....
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303

I see you in a different light now.........are you CRAZY You've been sucked in by the hype. Please, seek help now before it's too late
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:54 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I see you in a different light now.........are you CRAZY You've been sucked in by the hype. Please, seek help now before it's too late
lol I very rarely buy anything (did get a Garmin GPS for $100 when they were still selling for around $300). I mainly go to accompany others. The biggest reason I go is for what I have termed "Black Friday Olympics".

I have a couple of events I like to compete in, my 2 favourites are the "grab a cart and dash to electronics" and the "opening doors wrestling".

The cart dash is usually held in the Walmart crucible (this is a miracle building, there are more people leaping out of wheelchairs and sprinting here than at Lourdes).

The wrestling has been held at a few different venues, the biggest of these being at The Maine Mall. Some people seem to sweat more (even in freezing temperatures) in anticipation of the event to begin.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
A fellow student at uni who happened to be an American told me in no uncertain terms that the meaning of their Thanksgiving celebrations was very simple to understand - they got shot of the British once and for all, plain and simple, and there was nothing more worthy of celebration than that. But I already knew that anyway, as most reasonably well educated Brits themselves know from their history lessons, and I am astonished that the OP felt it necessary to raise the question.
How interesting that once again you know it all.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's a day off work. Only one, mind - Steerpike is one of the lucky ones to get two.

It's also the day everyone decides it is our house that gets messed up (without a day off the following Friday to clean up), so I can't relax and enjoy my day off.*

It's harmless, really, but it ruins the hope of me ever having a traditional Christmas dinner while out here. The best Thanksgiving for me, was in 2007 when we all went home to visit my mum and left everyone to fend for themselves

* yeah I'm an ungrateful b'stard but sod it, I hate my job and love my quiet time so I reserve the right to get annoyed once a year
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanksgiving Day was to celebrate the end of the growing season and harvest. It is celebrated by Canadians on the first Monday of October and by Americans on the last Thursday of November. Our growing seasons are different.

Just as the Pilgrims who first landed in Cape Code did, a feast is held to mark the harvest and to give thanks for continued health and life.

Traditionally we have turkey on Thanksgiving with white and sweet potatoes and a mixture of different vegetables. This is also the fare in Canada.

The football leagues have games on that day and most households have at least one set tuned to that station.

Christmas dinners vary from one household to another. Being of German and Polish descent our dinner was not turkey but perogies, ham, wurst(s), etc. Christmas Eve was always fish or a non-meat offering.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

A fellow student at uni who happened to be an American told me in no uncertain terms that the meaning of their Thanksgiving celebrations was very simple to understand - they got shot of the British once and for all, plain and simple, and there was nothing more worthy of celebration than that. But I already knew that anyway, as most reasonably well educated Brits themselves know from their history lessons, and I am astonished that the OP felt it necessary to raise the question.
Buzz, wrong answer! Please tell me that this is a joke and I've succeeded in missing the humor in it?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeco1
If you have Turkey for thanksgiving, then what do you have on Christmas day?

Mike
Our family has the traditional turkey at Christmas. However, being of mexican heritage, we do the usual tamale making assembly line and have tamales for a week around Christmas time. Good times!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Buzz, wrong answer! Please tell me that this is a joke and I've succeeded in missing the humor in it?

There seems to have been a mistake in the holiday asked about. Probably refers to the 4th of July celebration of Independence.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

fly_on_the_wall is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll have to brush up on my American History. Silly me, I always thought the first thanksgiving was 150 years before the Revolutionary War.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
yeah I'm an ungrateful b'stard but sod it, I hate my job and love my quiet time so I reserve the right to get annoyed once a year
Hey! I'm counting and its two times. Halloween and Thanksgiving isnt Hallogiving yet you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.