British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What to tell Uncle Sam!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-tell-uncle-sam-768690/)

Poppy girl Aug 18th 2012 5:49 am

What to tell Uncle Sam!!

So I am somewhat confused, after reading some other posts on BE and would really like some straight forward on the chin answers, with no frilly bits around the edges please :)

I am moving back to the US. ( did I ever really leave only been back in the UK since June 2012)

1. Do I have to tell the IRS about my inheritance in the UK ie the house and any cash amounts before I file my 2012 taxes, or after, or not at all!!

2. Will my assets affect my taxes in the US when I file in the US in 2013 for my 2012 year!

3. Can the IRS make any claim in my bank and offshore accounts in England and the Channel Islands if god forbid I had someone try and sue me or wanted to file bankruptcy in the US (hypothetical but interested as a future precaution!!

Thank you :)

Michael Aug 18th 2012 6:43 am

Re: What to tell Uncle Sam!!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10233265)
So I am somewhat confused, after reading some other posts on BE and would really like some straight forward on the chin answers, with no frilly bits around the edges please :)

I am moving back to the US. ( did I ever really leave only been back in the UK since June 2012)

1. Do I have to tell the IRS about my inheritance in the UK ie the house and any cash amounts before I file my 2012 taxes, or after, or not at all!!

2. Will my assets affect my taxes in the US when I file in the US in 2013 for my 2012 year!

3. Can the IRS make any claim in my bank and offshore accounts in England and the Channel Islands if god forbid I had someone try and sue me or wanted to file bankruptcy in the US (hypothetical but interested as a future precaution!!

First of all, I didn't know you were gone and never thought you would leave California. Welcome back.

1. Report the inheritance on your next years forms (2012 taxes). There shouldn't be any tax due if it was less than $5.12 million.

2. No tax on assets but only on income.

3. You have to declare all assets during bankruptcy. Certain assets are protected such as homestead on a primary residence (Florida pretty much protects the home no matter the value and equity). Make sure you declare overseas assets since the penalities can be very high if not reported. The IRS can probably get to assets anywhere in the world if they try hard enough. I supposed that someone could sue you and try to get those assets but would need to follow the rules of that country about garnishment.

Poppy girl Aug 18th 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10233316)
First of all, I didn't know you were gone and never thought you would leave California. Welcome back.

1. Report the inheritance on your next years forms (2012 taxes). There shouldn't be any tax due if it was less than $5.12 million.

2. No tax on assets but only on income.

3. You have to declare all assets during bankruptcy. Certain assets are protected such as homestead on a primary residence (Florida pretty much protects the home no matter the value and equity). Make sure you declare overseas assets since the penalities can be very high if not reported. The IRS can probably get to assets anywhere in the world if they try hard enough. I supposed that someone could sue you and try to get those assets but would need to follow the rules of that country about garnishment.

Thank you Michael, moved back to care for my mother in June, she has since passed away. :(

robin1234 Aug 18th 2012 12:28 pm

Look up IRS Form 3520 & Instructions. You simply have to report the inheritance on that form. If I remember correctly, you send it in to a different address, it does not go in with your taxes.

Then, if you have foreign accounts etc. over certain threshold amounts in 2012, there is a form to submit to the US Treasury (Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) and a tax form (IRS Form 8938.). A bit bureaucratic, but relatively simple.

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 18th 2012 2:20 pm

We need to talk....:confused:

sergeyvo Aug 18th 2012 2:46 pm

1)report IRS about all assets that you have
2)report IRS about your foreign income, i.e. if you let it and have income from renting.

Please note if you're still paying your mortgage, IRS do not consider the property to be yours, i.e. it's not in the asset list and you need not report about it.

If the property is mortgaged and you don't have any income from it you need not make a report about it. That's what I was told in HR block.

Mummy in the foothills Aug 18th 2012 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10233329)
Thank you Michael, moved back to care for my mother in June, she has since passed away. :(

Very sorry to hear that Poppy.

How come you are you moving back? Did you keep your place and stuff here while you were gone?

lansbury Aug 18th 2012 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10233329)
moved back to care for my mother in June, she has since passed away. :(

very sorry to hear that.

Poppy girl Aug 18th 2012 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10233847)
We need to talk....:confused:

We do :blink: :lol:

Poppy girl Aug 18th 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by sergeyvo (Post 10233878)
1)report IRS about all assets that you have
2)report IRS about your foreign income, i.e. if you let it and have income from renting.

Please note if you're still paying your mortgage, IRS do not consider the property to be yours, i.e. it's not in the asset list and you need not report about it.

If the property is mortgaged and you don't have any income from it you need not make a report about it. That's what I was told in HR block.

No mortgages :)

Poppy girl Aug 18th 2012 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10233923)
Very sorry to hear that Poppy.

How come you are you moving back? Did you keep your place and stuff here while you were gone?

Lost my place but have my job and all my stuff is in storage :) moved and flew the cat back to England in a whirl wind 12 day turn around trip.

Michael Aug 18th 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 10234027)
No mortgages :)

Any foreign taxes paid from overseas investments can be used as tax credits to offset US taxes owed. If the investment is in high tax European countries, there probably won't be any additional US taxes owed. If the investment is in tax haven countries, your US tax liability will likely be higher.

Poppy girl Aug 18th 2012 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10234035)
Any foreign taxes paid from overseas investments can be used as tax credits to offset US taxes owed. If the investment is in high tax European countries, there probably won't be any additional US taxes owed. If the investment is in tax haven countries, your US tax liability will likely be higher.

Righto gottcha Thanks ;).....I know where you are for coffee if I get in a fix :)

AZ_Alba Aug 18th 2012 10:26 pm

Cannot speak to IRS or bankruptcy, but depending on the state laws you maybe able to protect of some of your assets from by putting them in a living trust. Here in AZ you can protect 50% of assets and also keep them out of probate when you die.

It may sound morbid, but I am thinking about all this stuff since my father passed in May and even though he had a will we are still processing his estate through probate back in Scotland. Will be seeing a family lawyer and financial specliast here to make sure I have everything in order in case something happens to me or my wife so that our little is taken care of to the best of our ability.

Poppy girl Aug 19th 2012 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean (Post 10234298)
Cannot speak to IRS or bankruptcy, but depending on the state laws you maybe able to protect of some of your assets from by putting them in a living trust. Here in AZ you can protect 50% of assets and also keep them out of probate when you die.

It may sound morbid, but I am thinking about all this stuff since my father passed in May and even though he had a will we are still processing his estate through probate back in Scotland. Will be seeing a family lawyer and financial specliast here to make sure I have everything in order in case something happens to me or my wife so that our little is taken care of to the best of our ability.

Probate :eek: that's a nightmare in it's self.

Yes I will look into this as well :) living trust.