Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to tell Uncle Sam!!

Wikiposts

What to tell Uncle Sam!!

Old Aug 17th 2012, 5:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to tell Uncle Sam!!

So I am somewhat confused, after reading some other posts on BE and would really like some straight forward on the chin answers, with no frilly bits around the edges please

I am moving back to the US. ( did I ever really leave only been back in the UK since June 2012)

1. Do I have to tell the IRS about my inheritance in the UK ie the house and any cash amounts before I file my 2012 taxes, or after, or not at all!!

2. Will my assets affect my taxes in the US when I file in the US in 2013 for my 2012 year!

3. Can the IRS make any claim in my bank and offshore accounts in England and the Channel Islands if god forbid I had someone try and sue me or wanted to file bankruptcy in the US (hypothetical but interested as a future precaution!!

Thank you
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to tell Uncle Sam!!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
So I am somewhat confused, after reading some other posts on BE and would really like some straight forward on the chin answers, with no frilly bits around the edges please

I am moving back to the US. ( did I ever really leave only been back in the UK since June 2012)

1. Do I have to tell the IRS about my inheritance in the UK ie the house and any cash amounts before I file my 2012 taxes, or after, or not at all!!

2. Will my assets affect my taxes in the US when I file in the US in 2013 for my 2012 year!

3. Can the IRS make any claim in my bank and offshore accounts in England and the Channel Islands if god forbid I had someone try and sue me or wanted to file bankruptcy in the US (hypothetical but interested as a future precaution!!

Thank you
First of all, I didn't know you were gone and never thought you would leave California. Welcome back.

1. Report the inheritance on your next years forms (2012 taxes). There shouldn't be any tax due if it was less than $5.12 million.

2. No tax on assets but only on income.

3. You have to declare all assets during bankruptcy. Certain assets are protected such as homestead on a primary residence (Florida pretty much protects the home no matter the value and equity). Make sure you declare overseas assets since the penalities can be very high if not reported. The IRS can probably get to assets anywhere in the world if they try hard enough. I supposed that someone could sue you and try to get those assets but would need to follow the rules of that country about garnishment.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
First of all, I didn't know you were gone and never thought you would leave California. Welcome back.

1. Report the inheritance on your next years forms (2012 taxes). There shouldn't be any tax due if it was less than $5.12 million.

2. No tax on assets but only on income.

3. You have to declare all assets during bankruptcy. Certain assets are protected such as homestead on a primary residence (Florida pretty much protects the home no matter the value and equity). Make sure you declare overseas assets since the penalities can be very high if not reported. The IRS can probably get to assets anywhere in the world if they try hard enough. I supposed that someone could sue you and try to get those assets but would need to follow the rules of that country about garnishment.
Thank you Michael, moved back to care for my mother in June, she has since passed away.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 12:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Look up IRS Form 3520 & Instructions. You simply have to report the inheritance on that form. If I remember correctly, you send it in to a different address, it does not go in with your taxes.

Then, if you have foreign accounts etc. over certain threshold amounts in 2012, there is a form to submit to the US Treasury (Form TD F 90-22.1, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts) and a tax form (IRS Form 8938.). A bit bureaucratic, but relatively simple.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

We need to talk....
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
1)report IRS about all assets that you have
2)report IRS about your foreign income, i.e. if you let it and have income from renting.

Please note if you're still paying your mortgage, IRS do not consider the property to be yours, i.e. it's not in the asset list and you need not report about it.

If the property is mortgaged and you don't have any income from it you need not make a report about it. That's what I was told in HR block.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:27 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Michael, moved back to care for my mother in June, she has since passed away.
Very sorry to hear that Poppy.

How come you are you moving back? Did you keep your place and stuff here while you were gone?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 4:12 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

moved back to care for my mother in June, she has since passed away.
very sorry to hear that.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
We need to talk....
We do
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by sergeyvo
1)report IRS about all assets that you have
2)report IRS about your foreign income, i.e. if you let it and have income from renting.

Please note if you're still paying your mortgage, IRS do not consider the property to be yours, i.e. it's not in the asset list and you need not report about it.

If the property is mortgaged and you don't have any income from it you need not make a report about it. That's what I was told in HR block.
No mortgages
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Very sorry to hear that Poppy.

How come you are you moving back? Did you keep your place and stuff here while you were gone?
Lost my place but have my job and all my stuff is in storage moved and flew the cat back to England in a whirl wind 12 day turn around trip.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

No mortgages
Any foreign taxes paid from overseas investments can be used as tax credits to offset US taxes owed. If the investment is in high tax European countries, there probably won't be any additional US taxes owed. If the investment is in tax haven countries, your US tax liability will likely be higher.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Michael
Any foreign taxes paid from overseas investments can be used as tax credits to offset US taxes owed. If the investment is in high tax European countries, there probably won't be any additional US taxes owed. If the investment is in tax haven countries, your US tax liability will likely be higher.
Righto gottcha Thanks .....I know where you are for coffee if I get in a fix
Old Aug 18th 2012, 10:26 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you
Cannot speak to IRS or bankruptcy, but depending on the state laws you maybe able to protect of some of your assets from by putting them in a living trust. Here in AZ you can protect 50% of assets and also keep them out of probate when you die.

It may sound morbid, but I am thinking about all this stuff since my father passed in May and even though he had a will we are still processing his estate through probate back in Scotland. Will be seeing a family lawyer and financial specliast here to make sure I have everything in order in case something happens to me or my wife so that our little is taken care of to the best of our ability.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Cannot speak to IRS or bankruptcy, but depending on the state laws you maybe able to protect of some of your assets from by putting them in a living trust. Here in AZ you can protect 50% of assets and also keep them out of probate when you die.

It may sound morbid, but I am thinking about all this stuff since my father passed in May and even though he had a will we are still processing his estate through probate back in Scotland. Will be seeing a family lawyer and financial specliast here to make sure I have everything in order in case something happens to me or my wife so that our little is taken care of to the best of our ability.
Probate that's a nightmare in it's self.

Yes I will look into this as well living trust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.