Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What should we leave behind?

What should we leave behind?

Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Familyof5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What should we leave behind?

[QUOTE=Callilac;9814986]I guess it depends on what your plans are and how attached you are to your stuff.

We're only planning on a two year stay, so we will be shipping everything we can use. In my experience of relocation the lump sum will be agreed up front and the company won't be looking to "save" money on the shipping, so we might as well.

Our furniture isn't new or particularly expensive, but we like it, it has lots of wear left in it and we might not find things we like as much. Plus even if you have to wait 6-8 weeks for the container, that is probably still quicker than you'd wait for new stuff.

I'm also thinking about how our furniture will fit into a new home. We have 2 x 7 foot sofas and a king sized bed, so they will probably look ok in the size of rooms in the houses I am looking at. I want to sell things like my son's nursery furniture and our small kitchen table.

My friend, however, moved to a massive house and said her furniture looked like dolls furniture. She was still glad to have it for the snug though, once her new big stuff was delivered.

We don't have any wardrobes, so I am hoping for lots of closet space.

You can get a king sized 13.5 tog duvet for £9 in Morrison's at the moment! Probably cheaper than taking an old one to the laundrette!

I would definitely bring the piano - those things aren't just furniture, there is a sentimental attachment too. In fact if someone else is paying the shipping bring what you can!

I also think it would be reassuring for my toddler to have familiar things from home.[/QUOTE/]

Thanks for the reply, we will probably bring the Piano too, we've already thrown some of our stuff out like cabinets etc, but you've brought up a good point, if we do end up coming home in 2 years (we're not sure how long we'll be over there for at the moment) we might need to rbing some more stuff.

Just a question, you said you're getting rid of your sons nursery furniture but what are you actually rbinging for your kids?
I'm at a dilema because Lacey loves her bed to pieces and she has Disney duvets are everything (people have said they won't fit onto an American bed) that do I bring THEIR sentimental furniture?
Just wondering, this may not be a problem for you but if you do have any outdoor play equipment are you going to bring it with you?
We're still not decided on whether to bring our swings and play sets..
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Callilac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

The only reason I am not bringing the nursery furniture is that he has outgrown it (apart from the cot bed, but I might as well sell it as a set) and we can't have any more children. I am going to move him into a full sized bed asap, so he can get used to it, but I will definitely take his bedding and other bits out of his room.

We're quite lucky I guess in that he has also outgrown the toddler play equipment in the garden, so I will get rid of that too. The only big thing we have is a trampoline and I think we'll bring that as it is quite new.

Is the company paying to ship your stuff? If so, I would definitely bring the bed etc and if the play equipment is quality stuff in good condition that too.

Have you been over to Stamford? I was there a few years ago (only for 4 days) visiting my friend and had a great time.

HTH

Cal x
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...bedroom/10680/

Ikea duvet covers
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MsElui
-Kitchen measuring jugs (ie an english pint is 20 oz, a US pint is 16oz - so if you are following English recipes/cookbooks its handy to have the right sized jug..
I really should have joined BE a long time ago. I bought a pyrex jug back from the US to the UK when we moved back and I have not realised why my custard was coming out so thick whenever I used it!!!

Clearly I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 2:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Familyof5
Thanks for the reply, we will probably bring the Piano too...
Be sure to have the piano completely detuned by a professional tuner familiar with moving and the temperature and humidity variations the piano will encounter en route. Once you arrive, have the piano retuned gradually over a period of 2-3 weeks.

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember in taking cash from an employer is that it is taxable. We found that out in our tax returns last year! Anything like a benefit in a move is taxable.

I'd still happy we took the whole container offer instead of cash-in-lieu.

And I'm still using Sainsbury cling wrap...having bought a new roll just as Hubby came to an agreement to move to the USA.

Also - the Company Store. Just ordered new duvet covers in cute cute cute patttern and on sale!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

CKB40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange questions I know but, does anyone know if I can put teabags in the shipping container?

Only thing I think I will miss is an English cuppa.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 10:44 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKB40
Strange questions I know but, does anyone know if I can put teabags in the shipping container?

Only thing I think I will miss is an English cuppa.
Of course you can.

FYI all varieties of UK teabags are avaliable via Amazon for a reasonable price, we buy in bulk monthly. If you don't drink tea in the quantities that I do, then you can buy PG Tips and Tetley in some grocery stores ($8 a box).
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks, will start buly buying now ready to ship over.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, that should be BULK buying!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

winterbird is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to the US for a year and then moved back to UK just 2 months ago.

If you asked me now, I would say I hope we had leave behind most of the electronic items: tv is out of the question, even if your tv allows 110-240v, and you get over the Pal/NTSC hurdle. HDMI in US is different from UK's, and these days, HD is essential, so your UK tv won't work. Plus tv in US is cheaper.

Other small electric items. I tried to use step-down converter, it doesn't really work that well and have the chance of ruining your item.

For furniture, it's personal choice and depends on the packing quality of the moving company. The downside of shipping everything is that for about 2 months, you will be living in an rather empty apartment while you wait for the shipment to arrive, thus I'd recommend staying in a corporate furnished rental, if the company is willing for pay for it.

About duvet and covers. It's not as common as in the UK but you can find both easily in Ikea in US, as well as bed,bath&beyond. But of course, I got confused and bought those "cover sheet" (they place it underneath their quilt which has no cover sheet) by mistake.

Smuggle some tea bags, and your favourite chocolates - the "candies" in US are appalling.