Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What should I do? - SSA Bull***t

What should I do? - SSA Bull***t

Old Dec 28th 2001, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

Hi All,

I entered on a spousal visa (IR-1) on the 14th Dec, on the following Monday (17th) I went down to the Newburgh NY social security office to apply for a social security number. I used my long form birth certificate and my UK passport with the I-551 stamp to prove identity and lawful alien status.

They accepted all of the paperwork and gave me a receipt saying I applied for a number and I should get it in the mail within two weeks. The lady actually said seven days!.

So now its the 27th, and I called the 1-800 number to see if I could get the number off them, but no - the number has not been issued. I called the Newburgh office and they said they had to confirm my alien status with the INS, blah blah - call back in 2 or 3 weeks.

I pointed out that my alien number was on the same page as the admission and I-551 stamp but this did not sway them. Blaming the recent terrorist attacks on the confirmation.

I have read a lot of other peoples experience in being given this "INS confirmation" run-around. But none seem to give an answer I can work with.

Can anybody give me any advise or pointers?

Frustrated, but many thanks in advance

PriZm