Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

Old May 9th 2014, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

Originally Posted by audio
I have a whole bunch of high quality UK power tools and also a portable 220/240v gas generator. I’m thinking about bringing these over, does anyone know what customs are likely to charge?
If you've owned them over a year, there shouldn't be any.

Using a transformer to get that stuff working though, well you need to check your house insurance won't be voided for using one. Also, things with a motor just generally don't work as well.

You'll be better off flogging the quality gear and buying new here as they're well priced here.
Old May 9th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've owned them over a year, there shouldn't be any.

Using a transformer to get that stuff working though, well you need to check your house insurance won't be voided for using one. Also, things with a motor just generally don't work as well.

You'll be better off flogging the quality gear and buying new here as they're well priced here.
Thanks Bob, the generator I mentioned is for sole use of these power tools, mainly in my shed, not in the house. They are all ex UK and compatible, so they will work, it's just the extra cost of shipping to consider.
Old May 9th 2014, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware of the insurance issue.

Knew some aussies where we used to live, shed burned down and insurance voided the cover because of the generator or transformer, can't remember.

And some other folks I knew who were burgled, cover was voided when some of the stuff listed as stolen were EU only spec, even though it was a transformer being used for a tele on a games console and only occasionally used.
Old May 9th 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Received a quote from pickfords today to move my stuff. The girl I spoke to had no idea what a 'move cube'/lift van was; as per the photos earlier in this thread. I thought it odd considering one of the photos had a pickfords truck in it. But hey ho, the quote is the cheapest I've received so far so they're the favourite at the moment. Although oddly the quote doesn't mention the size of the boxes they use. Will have to check this before committing to anything. It only mention the codes they use eg A cartons, L cartons and F cartons.
Old May 9th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just be aware of the insurance issue.

Knew some aussies where we used to live, shed burned down and insurance voided the cover because of the generator or transformer, can't remember.

And some other folks I knew who were burgled, cover was voided when some of the stuff listed as stolen were EU only spec, even though it was a transformer being used for a tele on a games console and only occasionally used.
Yes thanks, the insurance companies have a get out clause for just about everything.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
You won't be able to claim most of those things as a tax deductible. The list of things is pretty limited.

Tax the cash, set aside the tax and spend it either way.
OK thanks Bob
Old May 13th 2014, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
MHz? ...... Are those FM appliances?

Hz = /second. "M" = mega (million). 50MHz mains would oscillate (alternate) back and forth 50 million times/ second, and would imply a generator armature spinning that fast!

Mains AC power oscillates at 50 or 60 times/ sec, thing more dramatic than that.
He did not say MHz, he said mhz. m = milli or 1/1000th, still wrong but completely the other way.
Old May 13th 2014, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by H Bomb
I checked our TV and says 100v-250v on the back - so so is good for the US. However - the cable is not a 'kettle type' and not changeable - and the plus is a sealed on type.
So what do I do - is it just a case of plugging it in through a normal travel adapator?
No it is not, there is a lot more to consider than the mains voltage and plug. Europe uses DVB-T, the US uses ATSC completely incompatible. You might make a UK TV work with a US set top box but don't bank on it.

Never use a travel adapter. They are for travellers with low power devices like shavers or tooth brushes, not people moving permanently. In general they are poorly made and don't conform to either countries specs. And guess what, they cost more than a local plug.
Old May 13th 2014, 11:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winston_1
He did not say MHz, he said mhz. m = milli or 1/1000th, still wrong but completely the other way.
You are correct. I didn't think of that. It's a long time since I used either MHZ or mhz in a practical setting.
Old May 13th 2014, 11:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... And guess what, they cost more than a local plug.
And contrary to what has been asserted on BE in recent months, US plugs are widely available, at Lowes, Home Depot, or electrical suppliers, as well as, presumably, on-line.
Old May 14th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not, there is a lot more to consider than the mains voltage and plug. Europe uses DVB-T, the US uses ATSC completely incompatible. You might make a UK TV work with a US set top box but don't bank on it.

Never use a travel adapter. They are for travellers with low power devices like shavers or tooth brushes, not people moving permanently. In general they are poorly made and don't conform to either countries specs. And guess what, they cost more than a local plug.
You seem like you know what you are talkking about on this subject - so I will now hammer you with questions!

I thought NTSC/PAL and DVB-T/ATSC had all been superseded by HDMI? Assumed TV would work via HDMI from a US cable box?

We were planning on bringing our PS3 which is dual voltage, bring our favourite Region 2 DVDs and then buy blu rays out in the US (which I believe are also region free). Then using Netflix on PS3 or some sort of Apple or Google TV via HDMI.
Old May 14th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by H Bomb
You seem like you know what you are talkking about on this subject - so I will now hammer you with questions!

I thought NTSC/PAL and DVB-T/ATSC had all been superseded by HDMI? Assumed TV would work via HDMI from a US cable box?

We were planning on bringing our PS3 which is dual voltage, bring our favourite Region 2 DVDs and then buy blu rays out in the US (which I believe are also region free). Then using Netflix on PS3 or some sort of Apple or Google TV via HDMI.
NTSC/PAL (and Secam) are analogue transmission formats which have been superseded by digital formats in Europe and America (though they are still in use in Africa and Asia). Note PAL uses 50 picture fields per second, NTSC uses 60.
DVB-T/ATSC are replacement digital formats for receiving TV via an aerial. Note also DVB-T in Europe uses 50 fields, ATSC uses 60.
HDMI is an external connection system to connect external devices such as cable boxes, DVD players to a TV. HDMI can exist with both 50 and 60 fields. Sets sold in Europe can handle both 50 and 60 fields. Sets sold in N America can sometimes handle both but many can handle 60 only.

So yes a European TV should work with a US cable box but not from an aerial. A US TV, however, often won't work off a European cable box or aerial.

Regarding PS3. Not sure if it will work with US games. Blurays can be regionalised A, B, and C. Many are not however.
Old May 14th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

NTSC/PAL (and Secam) are analogue transmission formats which have been superseded by digital formats in Europe and America (though they are still in use in Africa and Asia). Note PAL uses 50 picture fields per second, NTSC uses 60.
DVB-T/ATSC are replacement digital formats for receiving TV via an aerial. Note also DVB-T in Europe uses 50 fields, ATSC uses 60.
HDMI is an external connection system to connect external devices such as cable boxes, DVD players to a TV. HDMI can exist with both 50 and 60 fields. Sets sold in Europe can handle both 50 and 60 fields. Sets sold in N America can sometimes handle both but many can handle 60 only.

So yes a European TV should work with a US cable box but not from an aerial. A US TV, however, often won't work off a European cable box or aerial.

Regarding PS3. Not sure if it will work with US games. Blurays can be regionalised A, B, and C. Many are not however.
Sounds like we should be good then. Failry confident PS3s are fine.

We know the easiest lowest risk thing to do is sell it and buy new there - but if it works and we arent paying to ship it why not!