Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

I'm moving to Florida in August for a US MA, I'll be there for two years with plans to continue onto a PhD (another five years). I currently live in a one bed apartment in the UK and plan on moving to something similar in FL. I will probably move into a furnished apartment in FL and as the majority of my furniture in the UK is just generic Ikea stuff I wasn't planning on taking any of it to the US.

However I do have a lot of books that I want to take out and also thought shipping my kitchen equipment would be more cost effective than buying new as it's all good quality stuff and better than what I could afford to buy again if I start from scratch Stateside. I'll also want to ship some clothes too.

Is this a good course of action to take? I won't get much for selling stuff second hand in the UK and I've had a couple of quote for shipping stuff to the Us and it wasn't as expensive as I expected. Any advise would be gratefully received.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

I'd bring the books, but I do like books (I'm not into e-books ..... you'll probably want to buy a dehumidifier to help keep the air book-friendly), and your kitchen things, unless electrical, and in fact I wouldn't recommend bringing anything electrical unless it's dual voltage and 50-60Hz. If you can do without the furniture I'd leave that too. ..... But you probably won't be renting a furnished apartment because they are not common, and those that are offered are usually pitched at the "corporate" market, and priced accordingly. Personally, given the heat and humidity across most of the US for at least 2-3 months, and 8-9 months in Florida, I would not recommend a furnished rental even if you could find one at a decent price.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 8th 2014 at 1:26 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a good supply of furnished apartment complexes where I'm headed aimed towards to grad student market. When I was out there in January making plans I visited a few complexes to check them out. They are of course a little more expensive than unfurnished options but they are 'recommended off campus accommodation' suggested by the university itself. I've looked at unfurnished options too but will probably end up going for one of the places I've already seen so I don't turn up and get an expected surprise.

Good point about the electricals. I had considered taking my tv until a friend told me it wouldn't work out there. Other than my laptop and a couple of other small electrical items I don't think I'll bother taking electricals.

I'm going to have to edit my book collection considerably but I'm hoping a family member will house what I don't take abroad.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
I'm moving to Florida in August for a US MA, I'll be there for two years with plans to continue onto a PhD (another five years).
Perhaps a moderator can move this thread to the general USA forum. It's not actually an immigration-related issue.

Ian
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Get some quotations for shipping; that will let you see whether it's worth it.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Books, pack and crate or the regular mail.

Same for kitchen stuff. Flog the electrics.

Furnished places will be expensive...better off getting a regular flat and craigslist for cheap furniture, or do a flatshare/sublet.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Im not 100% certain that the whole "dont bother with electricals" thing is actually that accurate. I ended up shifting pretty much everything I owned from an electrical perspective, only to find out that modern TV's are nearly all dual voltage.

Its worth checking out your manual before deciding to buy new.

That said, lamps, irons, hoovers etc are not going to work - but they are cheap as chips to buy out here.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
Im not 100% certain that the whole "dont bother with electricals" thing is actually that accurate. I ended up shifting pretty much everything I owned from an electrical perspective, only to find out that modern TV's are nearly all dual voltage. .....
Which is why I said ".... unless it's dual voltage and 50-60Hz. ...." (#2, above)
..... Its worth checking out your manual before deciding to buy new. .....
No, its not worth checking the manual. Every electrical appliance, with the possible exception of table lamps, has a specification plate/ sticker, usually either underneath, or close to the power cord, which tells you the voltage and mains frequency that is required to run it. So it needs to run on approximately 110v-120v power to work in the US, which could be expressed in several different ways including some or all of: 100v, 110v, 115v, 120v, 100v-250v, or similar. If it has a motor then it may not run properly on US 60Hz mains, and could be a fire hazard.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Im not 100% certain that the whole "dont bother with electricals" thing is actually that accurate. I ended up shifting pretty much everything I owned from an electrical perspective, only to find out that modern TV's are nearly all dual voltage.

Its worth checking out your manual before deciding to buy new.

That said, lamps, irons, hoovers etc are not going to work - but they are cheap as chips to buy out here.
I don't really consider a tele a kitchen appliance myself...but there you go. The OP was only asking about kitchen gear :/
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I join in mailing the books to the US.

A basic 32" 720 dpi television are available for under $200. For an extra $100 or so you can get the DVD player and the Roku box. [I don't have cable].

Kitchen appliances are usually a no-brainer -- leave them behind for the electrical reasons. Laptops migrate well.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So it needs to run on approximately 110v-120v power to work in the US, which could be expressed in several different ways including some or all of: 100v, 110v, 115v, 120v, 100v-250v, or similar. If it has a motor then it may not run properly on US 60Hz mains, and could be a fire hazard.
I checked our TV and says 100v-250v on the back - so so is good for the US. However - the cable is not a 'kettle type' and not changeable - and the plus is a sealed on type.
So what do I do - is it just a case of plugging it in through a normal travel adapator?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by H Bomb
.... - is it just a case of plugging it in through a normal travel adapator?
That, or cut the plug off and wire on a US plug, which, contrary to what some people will try to tell you are readily available from the Lowes or Home Depot DIY stores, or any electrical supply store.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That, or cut the plug off and wire on a US plug, which, contrary to what some people will try to tell you are readily available from the Lowes or Home Depot DIY stores, or any electrical supply store.
OK - that sounds fairly straight forward. Now need to check surround sound system and stereo.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Apologies to all that I offended through not reading the original post...

By the way. Have you checked to see if there's an IKEA near where you are moving to? I find it a bit of a Godsend here. Always good for the odd bit of furniture.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:33 pm

..... Ikea ...... Always good for the bit of odd furniture.
FIFY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.