Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future
Default Re: What to ship to the US; cost of shipping v cost of rebuying

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY
So you did...
Old Apr 9th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
I'm moving to Florida in August for a US MA, I'll be there for two years with plans to continue onto a PhD (another five years).
Sorry to hijack the thread but why are you doing a MA rather than just starting a PhD? PhD courses tend to be funded, and even if you leave early you get a MA. It seems redundant (and expensive) to do an MA and then start a PhD.

I also advise all my students, even the US students, to apply to PhD courses in the UK. The system in the UK is fairer to students, and takes about half the time of a US PhD course. I know students in the US who are 7 or even 8 years into a PhD. The best graduate 5 and half years after starting. It is madness considering the wages after graduation, or even later in your career.

You should be aware that the US PhD system is broken. For instance, due to tuition costs being passed to the labs it now costs as much to hire a Post-doc as a PhD student in the UC system. Guess the choice labs are making with their limited resources.

Anyway, just some thoughts to make you aware of the situation.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bewildering
Sorry to hijack the thread but why are you doing a MA rather than just starting a PhD? PhD courses tend to be funded, and even if you leave early you get a MA. It seems redundant (and expensive) to do an MA and then start a PhD.

I also advise all my students, even the US students, to apply to PhD courses in the UK. The system in the UK is fairer to students, and takes about half the time of a US PhD course. I know students in the US who are 7 or even 8 years into a PhD. The best graduate 5 and half years after starting. It is madness considering the wages after graduation, or even later in your career.

You should be aware that the US PhD system is broken. For instance, due to tuition costs being passed to the labs it now costs as much to hire a Post-doc as a PhD student in the UC system. Guess the choice labs are making with their limited resources.

I had no luck with funding in the UK, whereas I've been offered good funding packages in the US. In my subject it's very difficult to find full funding in the UK. Most people I know doing a British phd in my field are funded by wealthy parents.

I've spent two years looking at the pros and cons of the UK v US system and the US system suits my needs better. The reason for doing the US MA is because it's funded so financially it isn't a burden for me but also because it gives more of a background in the US system before getting my teeth into my phd.

I have an American friend currently making arrangements to come to the UK to continue her studies and she thinks I'm crazy for going to the US, likewise I think she's crazy for coming to the UK. But as she has access to student loans from the US she has the finances I don't have as a UK student. Only undergraduates get loans in the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

I've explored more shipping options. And someone recommended using a move cube. They said it was essentially a large box that gets delivered to my UK address, I load it up with my boxes and furniture etc and then it gets collected a couple if hours later and shipped to my US address where I unload it at the other end when it arrives. However so far I haven't been able to find any companies that use these? Is anyone aware of companies operating between the UK and US that use these cubes? Thanks.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that makes sense from what I have gleaned from my husband's job in academia.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
I had no luck with funding in the UK, whereas I've been offered good funding packages in the US. In my subject it's very difficult to find full funding in the UK. Most people I know doing a British phd in my field are funded by wealthy parents.

I've spent two years looking at the pros and cons of the UK v US system and the US system suits my needs better. The reason for doing the US MA is because it's funded so financially it isn't a burden for me but also because it gives more of a background in the US system before getting my teeth into my phd.

I have an American friend currently making arrangements to come to the UK to continue her studies and she thinks I'm crazy for going to the US, likewise I think she's crazy for coming to the UK. But as she has access to student loans from the US she has the finances I don't have as a UK student. Only undergraduates get loans in the UK.
It does seem that you have done your research. My experience in the biology scientific field. Your area of research sounds very different.

An MA does have the advantage of letting people know if they are suited for a PhD. And if it is funded, great. Just be careful that funding is not linked to an overburdensome teaching load. That can kill your own research very quickly.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

It does seem that you have done your research. My experience in the biology scientific field. Your area of research sounds very different.

An MA does have the advantage of letting people know if they are suited for a PhD. And if it is funded, great. Just be careful that funding is not linked to an overburdensome teaching load. That can kill your own research very quickly.
I'm in an arts based subject so funding is a lot more difficult to come by in the UK. My teaching load should be fairly easy in comparison to what I'm used to , my visa will only allow me to do a maximum of 20 hours per week, after holding down a full time job plus a number of other responsibilities such as acting as a tutor to undergraduates and being on the board of a charity during my last degree, I'm expecting 20 hours a week to feel like a holiday.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all I'm going through the same decision process of what to bring over and what to buy new. I understand about the electrical items so won't be bringing anything that won't work in the US.
My relocation package gives me an allowance for moving stuff over but in reality I won't be bringing much over especially furniture since I have a house in the UK I need to keep furnished. I want to use some of that allowance towards buying new furniture and have been advised that this will be a taxable benefit if I use it for that purpose.

How do I work out what the tax cost will be to me? Or should I not worry about it since I assume the tax will still be cheaper to pay that buying everything from my own pocket?
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't most electricals these days made 100v-250v, but just supplied with the right power cable for the country it will be sold in? I might be wrong but I thought that was the way it worked now.
Old May 2nd 2014, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Aren't most electricals these days made 100v-250v, but just supplied with the right power cable for the country it will be sold in? I might be wrong but I thought that was the way it worked now.
It's certainly not common for kitchen electricals. For the 2 moves hubby and I have made back and forth between the US/UK, we've not found one kitchen appliance that is dual voltage. And one of those was a very high end blender. Think it has to do with the motor more than anything.
Old May 2nd 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCDesi
Hello all I'm going through the same decision process of what to bring over and what to buy new. I understand about the electrical items so won't be bringing anything that won't work in the US.
My relocation package gives me an allowance for moving stuff over but in reality I won't be bringing much over especially furniture since I have a house in the UK I need to keep furnished. I want to use some of that allowance towards buying new furniture and have been advised that this will be a taxable benefit if I use it for that purpose.

How do I work out what the tax cost will be to me? Or should I not worry about it since I assume the tax will still be cheaper to pay that buying everything from my own pocket?
I think it will just be taxed as income so it depends what band your income falls into.
Old May 2nd 2014, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

MCDesi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it will just be taxed as income so it depends what band your income falls into.
Yes this seems to be how it's going to work. Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCDesi

Get them to gross it up so you won't have to worry about the tax bill.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Get them to gross it up so you won't have to worry about the tax bill.
Maybe they already did. No matter how much they give you, keep 40% back to be certain you have enough to cover the tax bill.

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Aren't most electricals these days made 100v-250v, but just supplied with the right power cable for the country it will be sold in? .......
Electronics (computers, TVs, and related gadgets), yes. Electrical appliances, even down to coffee makers and toasters, most definitely "no"!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 3rd 2014 at 5:10 am.
Old May 3rd 2014, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Electronics (computers, TVs, and related gadgets), some yes, some no. Electrical appliances, even down to coffee makers and toasters, most definitely "no"!
FIFY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.