Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to ship ahead of time?

What to ship ahead of time?

Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to ship ahead of time?

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
what stuff would be useful to ship ahead of time so that it's waiting for us at the other end?
Brown sauce.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Maybe I was too laid back, but honestly, relax!!! We came over here with 10 suitcases - we didn't see any of our stuff for 13 weeks after it was all packed away back in the UK. We arrived here, had a hotel to book in to for 6 days before the rental was available - it was fine. What we didn't have to hand, we went and bought the cheapest alternative we could find.

Please, please believe me. It will all work out, what you're going through just now is totally normal. Enjoy your last couple of weeks back home, look forward to what's ahead of you, relax and it will all work out. The best of luck with the move, I'm sure it will all go according to plan. Oh, and as for the Chiraz, we said we were going to stop drinking when we moved - eh NOT!!! When you can get a 5ltr box of wine for $16 - I don't think so!!!

GOOD LUCK, relax!!!
+1 I arrived with 3 suitcases - of clothes and makeup and nothing else and Ive survived thus far...I've discovered they sell things in the USA so might just leave it as it is --the cost of shipping v the cost of buying new that is the question
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
+1 I arrived with 3 suitcases - of clothes and makeup and nothing else and Ive survived thus far...I've discovered they sell things in the USA so might just leave it as it is --the cost of shipping v the cost of buying new that is the question
I sold and gave away almost everything, shipped the rest by slow boat. Never got stopped at customs with my family before, but with two large suitcases each we must have been easy pickings. Lifting each one onto the special new scanners was tough, they were all just shy of the weight limit, why can't they have the conveyorbelt at ground level?!

When the slow stuff didn't arrive we made frantic phone calls. Turned out the notice of arrival had been sent to some random address and this got us out of paying extra fees for not picking it up in time from the docks. Probably should have packed more than we did rather than giving it away.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Not on decent beers though
Fair point. I drink Miller Lite, so that's not a problem I have
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by md95065
I seem to remember you saying that you had cats - if so you should probably throw a few cans of their favorite cat food in there as well - you really don't want to find yourself alone with two hungry jet lagged cats on your first night in the US.

(As far as I know you should be OK with canned food as far as US customs goes).
That's a good idea, didn't think of that one. I'll bring some until I can wean them onto American cat foods.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Brown sauce.
Wha!? They don't have brown sauce? I didn't even realise that was an 'English thing'.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone for the replies!

With regard to the spices. I checked on various sites and it seems the answer is yes you can bring spices into the US but they must be declared. Although I can't find a definitive answer on the USDA site, other people have said that curry leaves are specifically excluded.

I don't really know why that is the case but regular herbs and spices are indeed permitted.

Also, have any of you guys started saying 'ERBS' and 'O-REGA-NO' yet?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
I wouldn't be too sure on canned cat food, btw. Meat products?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to the spices. I checked on various sites and it seems the answer is yes you can bring spices into the US but they must be declared. Although I can't find a definitive answer on the USDA site, other people have said that curry leaves are specifically excluded.

I don't really know why that is the case but regular herbs and spices are indeed permitted.

the first time I heard ERBS I wondered what the heck they were talking about!!! Ah we are so similar and yet so so different!!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Wha!? They don't have brown sauce? I didn't even realise that was an 'English thing'.
You can get HP at some specialty stores (and in gallon jugs at Amazon), but if, like me, you have a penchant for 'Daddies', you have to import it.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

A1 steak sauce is close enough to brown sauce for most Brits I know.

Martha Stewart pronounces the "h" in "herbs", even the word "autumn" is used a lot around me. Must be a regional thing rather than a general American difference.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes.
I wouldn't be too sure on canned cat food, btw. Meat products?
Looks like canned cat food that only contained fish would probably be OK, poultry might be OK and meat would not ...

I had forgotten the extent to which the US had over reacted to mad cow disease ...
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Looks like canned cat food that only contained fish would probably be OK, poultry might be OK and meat would not ...

I had forgotten the extent to which the US had over reacted to mad cow disease ...
I remember last year when my daughters friend and her mum came over to stay for a couple of weeks, I'd made a joke to her that I was missing lorne sausages and she should very kindly bring some over, not thinking for a minute that she would be daft enough!!! She was!!! Funny thing is, when she opened her case and I saw 6 packets of Lorne I couldn't believe it. When I asked her how the hell she got it here she announced," no problem, I had frozen it so that it wouldn't smell in the case and when the guy in the uniform with the dog followed us in the airport asking "okay, where's the meat" she said "what meat, what are you talking about" at which he let us just walk on!" It could only happen to oor Linda - I'd be stopped before I left the house
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

trailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond reputetrailerdude has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t think they're that paranoid about mad cow disease... ...my sister came to vegas last week and she got thru no problemo;-)
Old Apr 17th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Empty the spices / herbs into ziploc bags and mail / UPS them. The last thing you need is a USDA "hold" on your container while they decide what herbs may or may not be permitted.