British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What part of the US is it your ambition to visit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-part-us-your-ambition-visit-163264/)

MrsLondon Jul 2nd 2003 12:32 pm

What part of the US is it your ambition to visit?

For me, it's gotta be Vegas! Unfortunately hubby doesn't share my enthusiasm to see what he calls the 'fake city.' So it was only built in the 50s! Well, ever city gotta be built at some point. It IS a real city as far as I see it, after all people live there, they've got a baseball team (not major league I know) AND a BCIS I think!
I'm hoping to go with my mum and mother-in-law sometime within the next few years.
Hubby would LOVE to see Alaska, has wanted to all his life.

Patrick Jul 2nd 2003 12:56 pm

Re: What part of the US is it your ambition to visit?

Originally posted by MrsLondon
For me, it's gotta be Vegas! Unfortunately hubby doesn't share my enthusiasm to see what he calls the 'fake city.' So it was only built in the 50s! Well, ever city gotta be built at some point. It IS a real city as far as I see it, after all people live there, they've got a baseball team (not major league I know) AND a BCIS I think!
I'm hoping to go with my mum and mother-in-law sometime within the next few years.
I am going to go to all the Major league ballparks, I have been to Fenway, Pacbell and Turner Field. Apart from seeing good baseball its a way of seeing the country

Patrick

Pimpbot Jul 2nd 2003 12:58 pm

I've been to Vegas 12 times and I also have 3 more visits planned between August 16th and september 24th. One for the all important stag party:D. I've also pretty much been everywhere in America that I wanted to visit. But I am always open to the odd vacation in the places I have already been.

MrsLondon Jul 2nd 2003 1:11 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
I am going to go to all the Major league ballparks, I have been to Fenway, Pacbell and Turner Field. Apart from seeing good baseball its a way of seeing the country

Patrick
I've been to Fenway too, hubby took me to see the BoSox play the Bluejays. They lost! Not been since they put seats on top of the Green Monster though. They are meant to be the best seats in the house!

Pimpbot Jul 2nd 2003 1:35 pm

I've been to Fenway too, hubby took me to see the BoSox play the Bluejays. They lost! Not been since they put seats on top of the Green Monster though. They are meant to be the best seats in the house!
Yep, and not a ticket spare for the rest of the year either. I've never been inside Fenway, but my friend was a teacher at the school just across the street(Fenway high I think) when he was studying there a few years ago, so I spent a lot of time right near it. I highly recommend a visit to Bank One Ball Park (BOB) if you're ever in Phoenix.

207lonsdale Jul 2nd 2003 2:04 pm

I visited Las Vegas in 2001, and it is a truly amazing place! I only spent three days there, after which I was ready to get back to the peace and quiet of Perris, CA!

I have also visited New York ..... sorry, but to me New York was just a much bigger version of London .... and I never did like London!!

Next year I am hoping to visit the Grand Canyon and Lake Tahoe:)

mark19964 Jul 2nd 2003 2:41 pm

The rest of of it (usa) during the rest of our lives living there.
We've been very fortunate and have seen all the west coast cities during our travels, and most of the major ones in FL.

My wife is dying to see the fall through the New England states, myself it would have to be Grand canyon ,Vegas and Londons twin - NYC. Lots of people tell me that their as brash as us Londoners, I personally love the italian / new york accent and just gotta try that foot long weener.

Regards - Mark

Pimpbot Jul 2nd 2003 3:10 pm

Originally posted by mark19964
just gotta try that foot long weener.
What you do in the privacy of your own home is none of our business :scared: ;)

207lonsdale Jul 2nd 2003 3:11 pm

Originally posted by mark19964
and Londons twin - NYC. Lots of people tell me that their as brash as us Londoners, I personally love the italian / new york accent and just gotta try that foot long weener.
Regards - Mark
In NY I found some people to be very pleasant but others came as a total shock! Some people would just demand things in shops, and really snap at the assistant *Get me blah, blah* ..... I guess they did not know the words *please* or *thank you* and at times it could be very, very intimidating!:(

Ranjini Jul 2nd 2003 3:17 pm

My original ambition was to go to California, do the coastal drive on Hwy 1 between Los Angeles and San Francisco, visiting Santa Barbara, the Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel and San Francisco. Which we did last summer. It was just great!!
Now my ambition is to do the New England states and New York...

Patrick Jul 2nd 2003 3:35 pm

Originally posted by Ranjini
My original ambition was to go to California, do the coastal drive on Hwy 1 between Los Angeles and San Francisco, visiting Santa Barbara, the Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel and San Francisco. Which we did last summer. It was just great!!
Now my ambition is to do the New England states and New York...
Whats the betting Spokane is on absolutley no-ones list!

Rockgurl Jul 2nd 2003 3:39 pm

It would have to be California. I've only ever been to New England and Georgia, but I have a real thing about Califormia and the culture that was happening in the 80's in music and film. I loved all those Hair bands/Heavy Metal bands that were out in the 80's. I'm also really into fitness and I have to see Muscle Beach! I must be the only person in the world that thinks blonde hair and pink leotards are cool! But then, my favourite movie is Flashdance....:rolleyes:

Ranjini Jul 2nd 2003 4:33 pm

I agree. It's just a pretty nice place to live. I don't imagine anyone would put it on their list of must-see places ...

MrsLondon Jul 2nd 2003 4:38 pm

New England really is beautiful! Boston is so cool. New York was OK. I mean--it's New York! My fav has to be Central Park. It's like an Oasis among all the skyscrapers. The zoo it fantastic, loved the sealion show, and we fed the squirrels. The jet black squirrels really intrigued me! Never seen them in England!

Ray Jul 2nd 2003 7:02 pm

Spokane would be nice, to see and listen to the Spokane British Brass Band .. and who could miss a visit to the SPOKANE COUNTY FAIR AND EXPO CENTER its on September 5-14 this year..