Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to pack and Not to

What to pack and Not to

Old Nov 14th 2019, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to pack and Not to

We moved with just 4 suitcases, from a 3 bed in the U.K. To be honest there’s little I miss. Mostly the stuff we bought were current clothes and essentials, docs and paperwork and a few electrical items, key things like laptops and hard drives etc.

most other things are so easily replaceable. I can’t see the point of shipping most mundane stuff, even if free I wouldn’t have bothered with everything most likely.

I guess my point is, from one extreme take it all to another, take minimal, like us, my point is, don’t stress. Before you know it you’ll be able to get all you need and more again in the US. Just make sure you bring important and sentimental things that are irreplaceable.

if you’re anything like us you might appreciate the declutter and chance to start over with things more suited to new surroundings rather than just translating your old stuff wholesale and tripping over it before you even get going.

one thing, if keeping any U.K. assets or ties do be sure to have all the accounts, docs, records,etc you might ever need. Amazing what can be required when dealing with stuff like property, overseas.

good luck either way!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have already packed and moved and in California now. Thanks for all the replies
Old Nov 14th 2019, 8:32 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by park99
We have already packed and moved and in California now. Thanks for all the replies
Enquiring minds wonder what you packed and what you left
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Enquiring minds wonder what you packed and what you left
We packed pretty much everything that's still in good shape. I sold/gave away electric appliance that won't work in US.

However, now I know better, I would have packed differently. For a reason I still don't understand, we packed all the clothing for air freight. Now after two weeks all the clothing arrived and I sighed - the chances of the jumpers and winter jackets can be used here are almost zero.
I would have packed daily kitchenware and utensils in the air freight - ours are still in the sea container and I have to buy some for this temporary period, it's wasteful in terms of time and money.

But definitely happy that we shipped all our stuff - I am still in shock how expensive things are here.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 5:59 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We packed pretty much everything that's still in good shape. I sold/gave away electric appliance that won't work in US.

However, now I know better, I would have packed differently. For a reason I still don't understand, we packed all the clothing for air freight. Now after two weeks all the clothing arrived and I sighed - the chances of the jumpers and winter jackets can be used here are almost zero.
I would have packed daily kitchenware and utensils in the air freight - ours are still in the sea container and I have to buy some for this temporary period, it's wasteful in terms of time and money.

But definitely happy that we shipped all our stuff - I am still in shock how expensive things are here.
Yes, I too was glad we brought most of our stuff. There were some things that could have been left behind, but they can be donated here just as well as there and this way I have the time to consider what to get shot of.

BTW your profile still says Oxfordshire
Old Nov 17th 2019, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still converting in your mind £ to $ ?