Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to pack and Not to

What to pack and Not to

Old Oct 4th 2019, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

park99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to pack and Not to

Currently preparing the move to US. We don't have to worry about the shipping cost/space, so in this case what would you suggest to pack?

Electricity: I have checked all and the only thing that's not gonna work due to 100V input is hoover and microwave (happy to get rid off). So things like TV, printer... would they work okay as they all marked as 100v - 220v?

We have one rather new UK size single mattress, worth bringing it over? Premium quality beddings: are they cheaper in US?

What would you suggest to buy here in UK and bring to US? Specially things that's better value here in UK?

How did everyone move their important personal documents and paper? I am thinking of taking them as our luggage but they are gonna take a lot of space. Do I trust them to go with the air cargo?

Was told by the removal company any food is strictly forbidden. My plan to pack 100 boxes of decaf Earl Grey sadly vanished. Are these available in US supermarket?

What else?

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind advice.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 11:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to pack and Not to

Only thing on that list I know about is the bed and bedding, don't bother as US bed and bedding sizes are different. If the electrical items are marked as dual voltage then it's up to you, a lot of electrical stuff is cheaper in the US, particularly kitchen gadgets, and remember that you will invalidate any guarantees by moving things.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 12:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Are these available in US supermarket?
If not, you can get them from an online source such as the English Tea Store. Very expensive, but you will be able to get it here.

Electricity: I have checked all and the only thing that's not gonna work due to 100V input is hoover and microwave (happy to get rid off). So things like TV, printer... would they work okay as they all marked as 100v - 220v?
Ditch it all and rebuy it. Really it is not worth the hassle unless you have a $3000+ TV and even then the cost to ship makes repurchasing just as cheap.

​​​​​​​We have one rather new UK size single mattress, worth bringing it over?
As already mentioned, everything bedding wise is different sizes here. Don't bother.

Honestly all you should bring is clothes, personal sentimental items, and your documents. Everything else you are better to just purchase here.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 2:54 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick run though on Ikea to price up new furniture, cookware, china, cutlery etc and as we knew we were already having a shipping container just about all that went into it to save the replacement cost. For us it was worth it and means you can replace with new at your convenience rather than all at once. We also brought LOTS of books. We did bring beds as we had a UK superking with orthopaedic mattress that was relatively new and the boys' beds would do pro-tem until they left home (yay!) and we would rethink sleeping set up at that point. No point buying new singles then new doubles....
Old Oct 4th 2019, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

If shipping is free I would bring everything except electrical and, as stated, replace in your own time. There is plenty to do when you first arrive without having to shop for everything. I also take comfort from using the kitchen spoons my Grandmother used, sleeping in the bed we bought on our marriage (and yes a US queen mattress fits it perfectly) and sitting on my Grandfather's chair every morning to eat breakfast. Maybe I am just sentimental but I do know we arrived here with 2 suitcases each, an empty apartment and our shipping container not due to be sent for six months and buying everything was a nightmare. I did not know which were good shops, what brands were the best, what was a good price. Who knew kettles were seasonal and not available in August! But then again, if you are an Ikea junky and there is one near to your new home it may be rather fun to just "buy up the store".
Old Oct 4th 2019, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisygreen
Who knew kettles were seasonal and not available in August!
If you can't find it in Target or on Amazon, does it really exist?
Old Oct 5th 2019, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Bring your TVs if they are dual voltage and dual frequency i.e. 50-60hz I brought both my LG TVs from the UK and they work fine and it's an extra $500 I've not had to shell out.

I brought loads of baked beans with me - I took the risk and I was ok. I know you can get them here, but these are low sugar Heinz.

I brought every thing except petrol strimmer and anything with an electric motor.

If the company is paying, bring everything except the above rather than guess.

Good luck
Old Oct 8th 2019, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sat here drinking my decaf Earl Grey while typing this. It's a standard purchase from our local supermarket, which stocks a great range of teas. Not sure where it is you are heading but in the South East Publix is the supermarket to shop at. The only thing to watch out for is bog standard tea, American stuff tends to be on the weaker side, one bag barely darkens a cup, two is out of the question (although I've recently started drinking Publix own brand decaf and it's good)
Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by park99
Currently preparing the move to US. We don't have to worry about the shipping cost/space, so in this case what would you suggest to pack?

We have one rather new UK size single mattress, worth bringing it over? Premium quality beddings: are they cheaper in US?

What would you suggest to buy here in UK and bring to US? Specially things that's better value here in UK?

How did everyone move their important personal documents and paper? I am thinking of taking them as our luggage but they are gonna take a lot of space. Do I trust them to go with the air cargo?

Was told by the removal company any food is strictly forbidden. My plan to pack 100 boxes of decaf Earl Grey sadly vanished. Are these available in US supermarket?

What else?

If you have a good quality machine washable bedding including duvet I would bring it we shipped our 4.5+9 tog John Lewis duck down and have been using it ever since. Egyptian cotton like the quality in England is hard to find especially face towels when I come back I shall be stocking up.

Our mattress wasn't worth bringing old but I wish we brought my daughter's as its longer than US Twin and she could still be using it now. I'm not a fan of box springs I prefer bedstead.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Bring your duvets and duvet covers: duvet covers are inexplicably expensive over here.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by park99

What else?

Is that any removal companies. You can't ship any food even if air or sea freight? When the time comes was wanting to stock up on stuffing, bisto best, marmite and aldi chicken noodles lol. Take loads of tea in your suitcases maybe instead
Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:14 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a relatively new TV in the UK you might be able to sell it used and use the proceeds to buy a new TV in the USA. It could be a straight swap given the price differences.

As mentioned bedding is the wrong size, so it's kind of a pain.

Documents can be important, and there are some you need in paper form, but we digitized most of our papers before moving and just transport it all on a USB key. Much easier long term than having boxes of papers following us around.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
Is that any removal companies. You can't ship any food even if air or sea freight? When the time comes was wanting to stock up on stuffing, bisto best, marmite and aldi chicken noodles lol. Take loads of tea in your suitcases maybe instead

I don't know if Aldi sell their own brand noodles in their US stores (sounds revolting) but because the US isn't the middle of Mongolia all the other items are easily found at good supermarkets.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I don't know if Aldi sell their own brand noodles in their US stores (sounds revolting) but because the US isn't the middle of Mongolia all the other items are easily found at good supermarkets.
I know they sell them but at double, triple and quadruple the price and if I can't work to begin with I won't be able to afford them lol. Guess will just pack some in my suitcase lol. I went to a US aldi recently and didn't see the noodles lol. Used to get supernoodles but since I work in Aldi I tried there ones and they taste the same but only 22p instead of like 80p a packet
Old Nov 11th 2019, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We took pretty much everything other then electrical items (except Bose speaker and kitchen aid). It was hugely comforting to us all to see all our things arrive and certainly helped with turning the house into a home which was important as we have a young son.
We bought over all our beds and knowing they were different size bedding, l stocked up on some new duvets and covers before we came. 2.5 years on, it all worked out well. We did invest in a king bed which was a nice upgrade from our uk double but we did that about a year in.
I would bring what you can if l were you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.