Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What options are open to me?

What options are open to me?

Old Nov 16th 2001, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

amrat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a first time user looking to find a legitamate way of emigrating to the USA. I enlisted the help of a relocation company based here in the UK.(********), they recommended that with my IT Skills and qualifications, that I should pursue an employment based Green Card. After many months of applying for positions over the Internet, I now realise that this route is not going to be successful. I do not have any relatives or close family already resident in the USA. Could anybody point me in the right direction?
Many Thanks.
Old Nov 16th 2001, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by amrat
Hi I am a first time user looking to find a legitamate way of emigrating to the USA. I enlisted the help of a relocation company based here in the UK.(********), they recommended that with my IT Skills and qualifications, that I should pursue an employment based Green Card. After many months of applying for positions over the Internet, I now realise that this route is not going to be successful. I do not have any relatives or close family already resident in the USA. Could anybody point me in the right direction?
Many Thanks.
If you look in the back of UK publications such as 'Computer Weekly', you should see several IT consultancies/agencies offering employment in the USA. One company that immediately springs to mind is Comsys. They have offices all over the US plus a recruitment office in the UK.

The most common way to emigrate, is to come on an H1B Visa then apply for a Green Card after a couple of years once you're sure it's what you want. You will need a Bachelors Degree or 10 years experience in your chosen field for the H1B Visa.
Old Nov 17th 2001, 10:02 am
El Duckle

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

What kind of IT Skills and qualifications do you have ?

Old Nov 18th 2001, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by El Duckle
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

I am MCSE NT4 with considerable experience of both NT4 & Windows 2000, I am also Cisco CCNA and see my self as a Network Engineer. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your replies and advice.
Old Nov 18th 2001, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by amrat
Originally posted by El Duckle
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

I am MCSE NT4 with considerable experience of both NT4 & Windows 2000, I am also Cisco CCNA and see my self as a Network Engineer. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your replies and advice.
I forgot! I have experience of Telephony systems too! IVR, PBX & ACD. DB/2, SQL 7/2000 and related Software packages.
Old Nov 18th 2001, 5:19 pm
Joachim Feise

amrat wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Company certifications don't matter much here. For an H-1B visa, you need a college
degree or 4 years of experience for each year missing towards the degree. So if you
never went to college, you need 12 years experience.

-Joe