Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What One Thing Would Make Life Better Living in the US?

What One Thing Would Make Life Better Living in the US?

Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What One Thing Would Make Life Better Living in the US?

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I bucked up the courage to make my own Pork Pie once. It was messy to do but came out very well.
Its chewing the pork and spitting all the chopped up pieces out to put in the pie that's the messy bit.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 3:36 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Its chewing the pork and spitting all the chopped up pieces out to put in the pie that's the messy bit.
I think the pastry is called "cold water pastry" or something like that. It sets hard so it form the shape and stays that way without a support during cooking. It is messy to do.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambuc
Just come across a great store in AZ. It sells all chinese and indian food. Apparently its where all the chinese do all their shopping.

Hubby gets all his spices there when he makes his curries, which are great. You can get poppadoms, nan breads, samosas.

The also sell korean food and some English food.

Came across some Organic Weetabix for under $3 a box, I couldn't believe it, as I can never get over the cost of cereals over here.

Anyway I am obviously very sad and easy to please........ must remember to get out more.
Please tell me the name & location of this store!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 4:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaPeel
I would LOVE a PROPER fish n chip shop, and a decent chinese take away............. those are my first stops when I arrive home..... half way home from Heathrow to Devon I have to stop for some fish n chips, then I have chinese beef curry for dinner.....

English humour, I miss it..... yeah I can see it on TV, but my US friends dont get my humour, and I miss a good ol laugh!!!!!!!!
Not to worry Emma, I'm sure I will meet you soon, at one of the meet ups & we usually have quite a laugh! I can't make it to the next Drake meet up as I will be back in England, but maybe you can come to our late September Yahoo/BE meet up.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:48 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Please tell me the name & location of this store!
Hey Partystar

The store is called Lee Lee's Oriental Supermarket and its on the North East corner of Dobson and Warner, in Chandler

Actual address is:

2025 N Dobson Rd
Chandler, AZ 85224

Enjoy
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Hey Partystar

The store is called Lee Lee's Oriental Supermarket and its on the North East corner of Dobson and Warner, in Chandler

Actual address is:

2025 N Dobson Rd
Chandler, AZ 85224

Enjoy
Ta very much!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:07 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Ta very much!

Your welcome, have a nice day!!!!!

[IMG]/sick[/IMG]
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Just come across a great store in AZ. It sells all chinese and indian food. Apparently its where all the chinese do all their shopping.

Hubby gets all his spices there when he makes his curries, which are great. You can get poppadoms, nan breads, samosas.

The also sell korean food and some English food.

Came across some Organic Weetabix for under $3 a box, I couldn't believe it, as I can never get over the cost of cereals over here.

Anyway I am obviously very sad and easy to please........ must remember to get out more.
TRader joes has organic weetabix for about $2.50 a box. And yes i'll agree cereals here are pricey BUT ive found my favourite good buys. Target 'market pantry' brand oat 'cheerios' they are just under $2.00 and very low in sugar, similar price in trader joes for joes 'o's. best value, Target plain old oats. I find most US packet cereals to be so sweet they are nasty, then again not much different in UK, weetabox is low sugar compared to many.

bugman.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 7:14 am
Owdhamer

Anyway, back at the ranch...

A pub on the corner of the street that we live on would be wonderful.

Every house I lived in back in Blighty either had a pub on the street or one round the corner. Somewhere to escape when you've had enough of the wife and kids, and need a break for an hour or so to sup a couple of pints and have a natter with the neighbours.

Our nearest pub here is 5 miles away!

American suburbia is utter mince!

Old Aug 18th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owdhamer
Anyway, back at the ranch...

A pub on the corner of the street that we live on would be wonderful.

Every house I lived in back in Blighty either had a pub on the street or one round the corner. Somewhere to escape when you've had enough of the wife and kids, and need a break for an hour or so to sup a couple of pints and have a natter with the neighbours.

Our nearest pub here is 5 miles away!

American suburbia is utter mince!
My father in law told us the main thing to look for when buying a house is the MSD - minimum staggering distance.

Our MSD here is quarter of a mile.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:10 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I think the pastry is called "cold water pastry" or something like that. It sets hard so it form the shape and stays that way without a support during cooking. It is messy to do.

I was trying to describe a pork pie to an American friend the other day, I couldn't do it! Describing the pastry is impossible as I couldn't think of anything to compare it to!