British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What not to take to the us Embassy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-not-take-us-embassy-719104/)

littlegreys May 31st 2011 7:16 pm

What not to take to the us Embassy

Hi People just came back from the USA Embassy in London Today
They wernt allowing CAR KEYS into the building nor WATCHES ,BELTS OR PHONES
although this seemed to be unclear as some people were still warring there watches AND others WERE ALSO ALLOWED TO TAKE IN THE LISTED THINGS IN POLYTHENE BAGS .I and a few others weren't and had to go and store them in a locker at the pharmacy
After a 3 hour wait got interview lasted for about 10 minutes all very straight forward and very efficient .

Octang Frye May 31st 2011 7:38 pm

Re: What not to take to the us Embassy

LOL. This is well known on the site, but perhaps your post might enlighten some newer members. How much did the Pakistani charge? Is it still five pounds?

NatashaB May 31st 2011 7:41 pm

They also do not allow ipods. I saw someone throw theirs in the bin (and retrieve it when they came out later...)

Bob May 31st 2011 7:54 pm

Just imagine the pain if you'd brought a Kindle along :lol:

Mummy in the foothills May 31st 2011 7:54 pm

Someone on here threw their keys in a bush and retrieved them on the way out.
So I wonder why some people got away with a zip lock with their stuff in :confused:

littlegreys May 31st 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9400574)
LOL. This is well known on the site, but perhaps your post might enlighten some newer members. How much did the Pakistani charge? Is it still five pounds?

£3

littlegreys May 31st 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9400623)
Someone on here threw their keys in a bush and retrieved them on the way out.
So I wonder why some people got away with a zip lock with their stuff in :confused:

That what i was thinking some of us had to get our stuff stored while others got there's in bags doesn't seem to be any consistency here

Mummy in the foothills May 31st 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreys (Post 9400641)
That what i was thinking some of us had to get our stuff stored while others got there's in bags doesn't seem to be any consistency here

Is it citizens can bring stuff in and non citizens can't, Can you tell It's puzzling me now :lol:

NatashaB May 31st 2011 8:27 pm

Citizens are allowed to use lockers inside the embassy I believe (i think that's what happened when we renewed my stepdaughter's passport)

robin1234 Jun 1st 2011 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by NatashaB (Post 9400685)
Citizens are allowed to use lockers inside the embassy I believe (i think that's what happened when we renewed my stepdaughter's passport)

It'll all be a heck of a lot easier when they open the new embassy. Plus, the GWOT will be over by then.

Brucky Jun 1st 2011 3:21 pm

Strange! I was allowed to keep my belt when I had my interview on May 12th. It had a metal buckle too.

Deeks Jun 1st 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Brucky (Post 9402760)
Strange! I was allowed to keep my belt when I had my interview on May 12th. It had a metal buckle too.

We knew not to take keys and phones but belts and watches were not a problem. Maybe they sporadically change the rules to keep everyone on their toes?

kimilseung Jun 1st 2011 9:01 pm

When I was asked what my Archos (media player) was at the first security check, I told them it was a video player, I was told I would have to leave it with the security check inside the building, when I got to that check point, I told them it was a music player, so they said I could keep it on me. (this was ages ago, I see they now do not allow ipods, but I did think it interesting the different treatment depending on which function you were planing to use.)

Squirrel Jun 4th 2011 10:36 am

Why aren't keys allowed? Do they expect you to pay a locksmith to break you back into your house lol? Thank God for the chemist then! He'll be sad when the Embassy moves!

We didn't have anything taken off us when we went to get extra pages put in DH's passport, just got screened through the metal detectors. Few years ago though and he a US citizen.

littlegreys Jun 4th 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9409741)
Why aren't keys allowed? Do they expect you to pay a locksmith to break you back into your house lol? Thank God for the chemist then! He'll be sad when the Embassy moves!

We didn't have anything taken off us when we went to get extra pages put in DH's passport, just got screened through the metal detectors. Few years ago though and he a US citizen.

it seemed to be very inconsitant on the day i went some people were made hand in keys and watches etc .Others had on watches and belts and those who were made take of belts etc were handed a polythene bag to put them in which they were allowed to take into the Embassy which didn't make no sence they might as well not bothered enforcing this .i was told to take my to the chemist .