Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What needs to be on my list of things to do?!

What needs to be on my list of things to do?!

Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice
Default What needs to be on my list of things to do?!

I'm less than 48 hours away from jumping on the plane and heading over to the USA (Florida to be precise). I have a list of things that I need to and am sure I'm missing stuff - I don't suppose anyone would mind filling the blanks?

I've got:

Get driving licence
Do Motorcycle Basic Rider Course
Get SSN
Medical Insurance (investigate if better cover/value through company vs. privately)
Get US American Express

Bank accounts are sorted, got the cars and motorbikes (and they're insured), house sorted. What am I missing?!
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What needs to be on my list of things to do?!

I've had this Wiki article bookmarked for months, in advance of my own move: List of what to do and when about Moving : British Expat Wiki

It's mostly stuff that needs to be done on this side of the sea, not Stateside (as your list appears to be), but might be worth a once-over just in case - I know I'd be lost without lists like that!

Good luck, and happy new year! I'm sure plenty will be by shortly to give you more specific responses.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Thank you for the link to the wiki. I have done pretty much all of the UK-side stuff...other than seeing one Granny (that's what lunch tomorrow is for!).

It's more the stuff the other side of the pond that is concerning me!
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Dolewhippy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Moose
Thank you for the link to the wiki. I have done pretty much all of the UK-side stuff...other than seeing one Granny (that's what lunch tomorrow is for!).

It's more the stuff the other side of the pond that is concerning me!
Plan at least a day each for ss office and licences - - We were at the DMV for 4 hours getting ours last year. Also plan on dropping lots on deposits for utilities, it's a joke.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

hughiemg is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity, what route you taking for motorbikes? Are you importing or buying a bike over?

Im weighing up whether to try to bring mine over in a container or buy a bike over.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hughiemg
Out of curiosity, what route you taking for motorbikes? Are you importing or buying a bike over?

Im weighing up whether to try to bring mine over in a container or buy a bike over.
I have a bike and car in the US already. In my situation it makes perfect sense - to be honest I also have dollars and keep my UK and US cash totally separate so it makes sense for me to do what I did.

I can't see it'd be worth the hassle...unless you've got something really special!

Having said all of that, I am still looking at importing a bike or two from the UK anyway...but they're unique!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:15 am
Just Joined

I can't see it'd be worth the hassle...unless you've got something really special!
Yeah I'm thinking the same.

I have a 2013 Triumph Daytona 675r which I love and don't want to sell!

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:38 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm thinking the same.

I have a 2013 Triumph Daytona 675r which I love and don't want to sell!

How much could you get for it in the UK?

2013 Triumph Daytona 675, Villa Park IL - - Cycletrader.com
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Cheapest equivalent bike on autotrader is £8000 from a dealer, so I guess I could look at getting around £7400 for it.

Used Bikes and Scooters :: Triumph :: Triumph Daytona 675 R ABS (Black)

Apologies to the OP, didnt mean to hijack your thread!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Cheapest equivalent bike on autotrader is £8000 from a dealer, so I guess I could look at getting around £7400 for it.

Used Bikes and Scooters :: Triumph :: Triumph Daytona 675 R ABS (Black)

Apologies to the OP, didnt mean to hijack your thread!
No worries. Nice bike! I'd sell and buy again. Always an excuse to buy newer or better etc!
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm less than 48 hours away from jumping on the plane and heading over to the USA (Florida to be precise). I have a list of things that I need to and am sure I'm missing stuff - I don't suppose anyone would mind filling the blanks?

I've got:

Get driving licence
Do Motorcycle Basic Rider Course
Get SSN
Medical Insurance (investigate if better cover/value through company vs. privately)
Get US American Express

Bank accounts are sorted, got the cars and motorbikes (and they're insured), house sorted. What am I missing?!
Your first task will be the SSN, until you have that they won't let you have a licence. Allow about a week to get the card
Old Jan 4th 2017, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dave2702
Your first task will be the SSN, until you have that they won't let you have a licence. Allow about a week to get the card
Indeed - can't do anything without a SSN and I read I have to be here for approx 10 days before they can do the SSN...
Old Jan 4th 2017, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed - can't do anything without a SSN and I read I have to be here for approx 10 days before they can do the SSN...
That's more of a rough guess to ensure you're in the SAVE system. Some have been successful going in next day... though I did wait about 10 days.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 5:43 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend going to see your GP/Surgery and get a copy of your medical records, especially if you have any long term conditions or are on existing medications