Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And Miami is full of all sorts of refugees.... buy two guns when you move there.
When I visited Houston, before Katrina, even the grocery store had guards with guns! Yep, budget for those guns.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I thought about that, but I think most teacher's unions have decent health benefits. It is something for the OP to consider, though.
depends on the county, well MIL teaches, she's on an old contract with a PPO, new teachers get an HMO....and the policy is shite on the HMO for teachers without a few years experience at the school, not to mention it's a big chunk out of the pay cheque....but that's up in Maine.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
When I visited Houston, before Katrina, even the grocery store had guards with guns!
yep that's right but i'm used to it now. i have to say since katrina i feel safer with the security guards in the shops and in the parking lots.

houston is such a lovely city and peeps wonder why i hate it here

still the clock is ticking in my favour
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats a very good starter kit .........
Give me time!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yep that's right but i'm used to it now. i have to say since katrina i feel safer with the security guards in the shops and in the parking lots.

houston is such a lovely city and peeps wonder why i hate it here

still the clock is ticking in my favour
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you all so nasty and neative to newbies?

I was simply asking for peoples advice tips and comments, i wasnt expecting to be slated for my ideas.

As for why i didn't reply to your more recent replies - well i am still in the UK and we are on a different time, so while you are online, i am in bed as it was the middle of the night - 4-5am.

Never-the-less we will move accross regardless of how long it takes, and i did actually state that it will be next summer not this summer that we plan to move accross.

thankyou to all of you who have responded with advice.

We already have been told by a number of ISDs that as we are already fully qualified in the UK we will simply need to do the texas exam before our first year of teaching in the US is up to be certified in Texas.

Any more advice or tips or comments are welcome, however i would prefer if you could refrain from simply being rude or insulting, as i would not do the same to you - after all neither parties know little to nothi ng about each other.

Thank you. x x
You have unrealistic expectations to say the least. The people on this board have years of immigration experience/knowledge under their belts. I suggest you grow a thicker skin and listen to their advice.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rete;4510800]In Houston?

I would be careful in the south being a racially mixed couple. Not to say that all people and/or communities are rednecks and I believe Texas less so than other southern states.

Why would they need to be careful being a racially mixed couple ????
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lolly;4518397]
Originally Posted by Rete
In Houston?

I would be careful in the south being a racially mixed couple. Not to say that all people and/or communities are rednecks and I believe Texas less so than other southern states.

Why would they need to be careful being a racially mixed couple ????
Because a fair amount of the south does not consider the civil war over. And they don't like "black boys" (or much less polite term used) around THEIR (white) women. Burning crosses still exist in some places.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Because a fair amount of the south does not consider the civil war over. And they don't like "black boys" (or much less polite term used) around THEIR (white) women. Burning crosses still exist in some places.
So does the KKK, but a Remington 870 makes them fly away....

I'm a poet and I didn't know it...

Last edited by anotherlimey; Mar 14th 2007 at 5:45 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where you live and type of people you are. In 23 years as part of a mixed race couple and we have lived all over the world we have never had a problem.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lolly
Depends on where you live and type of people you are. In 23 years as part of a mixed race couple and we have lived all over the world we have never had a problem.
I'd have to disagree; there's racist idiots everywhere!