Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater
Why are you all so nasty and neative to newbies?

I was simply asking for peoples advice tips and comments, i wasnt expecting to be slated for my ideas.

As for why i didn't reply to your more recent replies - well i am still in the UK and we are on a different time, so while you are online, i am in bed as it was the middle of the night - 4-5am.

Never-the-less we will move accross regardless of how long it takes, and i did actually state that it will be next summer not this summer that we plan to move accross.

thankyou to all of you who have responded with advice.

We already have been told by a number of ISDs that as we are already fully qualified in the UK we will simply need to do the texas exam before our first year of teaching in the US is up to be certified in Texas.

Any more advice or tips or comments are welcome, however i would prefer if you could refrain from simply being rude or insulting, as i would not do the same to you - after all neither parties know little to nothi ng about each other.

Thank you. x x
Well I hope you have a backup plan. Because, just wanting to come over doesn't mean you will be able to. Finding school districts that are willing and can afford to sponsor two brand new teachers, and succeed in that, is pretty low odds.

Not sure Texas is the most likely state to WANT to sponsor foreigners either.

Also, your "requirements" for housing are very unrealistic - I don't know when two teachers would be able to afford that - probably never - certainly not newly graduated. Think apartment or something. You probably couldn't get a mortgage anyway.

If we are reactiving negatively, or at least for myself, it is at the idea that you can have all this just because you want to, and that is not the realities of immigration or economics here.

Truly, I mean this in a nice way, you need to research things MUCH more, I don't think you have any idea of what it will take, if even possible.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

People are trying to tell you something you don't want to hear. That's why you perceive it as so.

You want two H1b's for a specific neighbourhood to work in non-university schools and be able to afford a large house with amenities .

I want to sandwiched between Jennifer Lopez and Angelina Jolie on my water bed in my Malibu 100-acre estate.

Think we have about equal chances myself.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
..........PI want to sandwiched between Jennifer Lopez and Angelina Jolie on my water bed in my Malibu 100-acre estate........
With your beautiful mind, Sweetheart, you stand a way better chance than the OPs...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was simply asking for peoples advice tips and comments, i wasnt expecting to be slated for my ideas.

As for why i didn't reply to your more recent replies - well i am still in the UK and we are on a different time, so while you are online, i am in bed as it was the middle of the night - 4-5am.

Never-the-less we will move accross regardless of how long it takes, and i did actually state that it will be next summer not this summer that we plan to move accross.
Well you've been told the reality, chance of a visa is next to nothing...if even one of you got an H1B, the other wouldn't be able to work on an H2...chances of getting an H1B are slim to none for a teacher in a state run school, chances of two are even less, and having no experience right there is a killer...people with plenty of experience already have issues getting a place to sponsor them.

If you have more than 5 years experience and taught at a uni, you'd have better chances.

Getting certified to teach in a state would be the least of your worries.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 4:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well you've been told the reality, chance of a visa is next to nothing...if even one of you got an H1B, the other wouldn't be able to work on an H2..............
Make that an H4

AKA the visa from hell...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well you've been told the reality, chance of a visa is next to nothing...if even one of you got an H1B, the other wouldn't be able to work on an H2...chances of getting an H1B are slim to none for a teacher in a state run school, chances of two are even less, and having no experience right there is a killer...people with plenty of experience already have issues getting a place to sponsor them.

If you have more than 5 years experience and taught at a uni, you'd have better chances.

Getting certified to teach in a state would be the least of your worries.
It's a joke.

Starting teachers make about $36,000 a year. (Source: http://www.khou.com/news/local/educa....6f083d02.html)

Realistically, one of them might secure a visa if they were very, very lucky and did a lot of research and worked hard at it. The other will be on a non-working visa.

And they want all the trimmings in a nice neighbourhood!

Think we were pretty easy on them, actually.

There's another couple of idiots over in Visas at the moment. They've chosen Atlanta and are coming over to choose the house and need advice on schools.

What is up with these people?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

It's a joke.

Starting teachers make about $36,000 a year. (Source: http://www.khou.com/news/local/educa....6f083d02.html)

Realistically, one of them might secure a visa if they were very, very lucky and did a lot of research and worked hard at it. The other will be on a non-working visa.

There's another couple of idiots over in Visas at the moment. They've chosen Atlanta and are coming over to choose the house and need advice on schools.

Apparently we're the promised land or something - everybody that wants to, come on over! Get a great job, a mansion, etc. Oh yes, and we'll make sure that is quick, wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:24 pm
Septicity

And another.

Must be a full moon or something!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's a joke.

Yep I saw that too. I was only thinking the other day...we've not had any 'I want to live in Florida 'cos it's really nice and sunny' types...for a while.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yep I saw that too. I was only thinking the other day...we've not had any 'I want to live in Florida 'cos it's really nice and sunny' types...for a while.
They must watch to much TV There is one thread saying they were desperate to get over here I cant understand that word Desperate.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:36 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You spoke too soon.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So I did.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:38 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by britvic
They must watch to much TV There is one thread saying they were desperate to get over here I cant understand that word Desperate.
Suits the American temperament well though. I need a Big Mac...
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Suits the American temperament well though. I need a Big Mac...
I told my OH off once for ordering like that, I NEED FFS
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

If some of the replies seem nasty it's less a personal attack than a reflection of your unrealistic plans. Many of the responders have been posting here for years and are well aware of the difficulties of legal immigration to the USA. On top of how easy you seem to think it will be to arrange employment and visas, you appear to expect to parachute into a high-end lifestyle. Four-bedroom house with pool? On teacher's starting salaries? You are looking at a $2000-$3000 monthly mortgage payment, plus property taxes, homeowner's insurance, two car payments, car insurance payments, utility payments (high electricity bills in the summer there!), food, entertainment, etc. all coming out of take-home pay. Before you buy your airplane tickets you need to get written job offers, get visas approved, then fire up a spreadsheet and create a budget. You're still got a lot of very hard work to do.

Last edited by Bill_S; Mar 12th 2007 at 6:23 pm. Reason: purity of essence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.