Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater
we are both openminded and open to new and different experiences.

we are looking for a friendly quite area but not too far (i.e. no more than a couple of hours) from theatre, music, cinema and arts.

as for a home we are looking for a minimum of 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, two garage and a garden with a pool/hottub.

we would prefer a community with community features such as gym, clubhouse, community pool,etc.

thanx and please continue with your good helpful insights. x x
It's more expensive, but I honestly think you'd like Austin better. OTOH we have too many people here already and the house prices and salaries reflect that.

Any neighbourhood that has a "community" is likely to be extremely conservative, unless you find something in California, in which case it'll be extremely expensive.

Texas is not an extremely teacher-friendly state. Look for rankings on average teacher pay per state. In general, the northern states pay more though you'll be harder pressed to find a large house with enough summer to enjoy a pool in the "back yard" as we say.

You'll have high demand in Houston as SEN and Spanish-speaking people -- though if you've learnt Castilian Spanish, you'll have to brush up on Mexican and Spanglish Spanish.

As a mixed-race couple, I would honestly look for a university town -- a city with a large uni and people from around the world. I can think of some exceptions to the rule -- I wouldn't try it in Atlanta, Bryan-College Station, or Lubbock, to name three -- but in general you'll find better acceptance.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's more expensive, .
i didn't realise that austin is more expensive?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i didn't realise that austin is more expensive?

http://about.salary.com/costofliving...e=11&x=29&y=18

Housing costs are higher here and salaries are lower.

More people want to live here -- met a guy last night who could work anywhere iin the US and has chosen to live here. Many more like him here too. It isn't for everyone but apparently it's for enough people to drive housing costs up and salaries down.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
and i thought you were the one that liked it

I do and I don't. We have been here long enough that I am used to this way of life we have a nice house, lots of friends and good jobs but it won't be where we retire. We will stay in the US but not in this area. We may even stay in Texas...OH wants to live in the hill country.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

http://about.salary.com/costofliving...e=11&x=29&y=18

Housing costs are higher here and salaries are lower.

More people want to live here -- met a guy last night who could work anywhere iin the US and has chosen to live here. Many more like him here too. It isn't for everyone but apparently it's for enough people to drive housing costs up and salaries down.

interesting.

i know in georgetown they now have an ikea...couldn't believe that, each time we go over that way i am amazed by the number of new homes.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:20 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I do and I don't. We have been here long enough that I am used to this way of life we have a nice house, lots of friends and good jobs but it won't be where we retire. We will stay in the US but not in this area. We may even stay in Texas...OH wants to live in the hill country.
So does everyone else. Like me!

Race ya!
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for 19 years and still not used to it. Of course you need to add the mosquitoes, fireants and other stinging biting creatures to the equation otherwise the Houston area is alright!

....except for the crime and the traffic
Can you tell I have been gardening today. I hate fireants
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

So does everyone else. Like me!

Race ya!
Bet I'm closer to retiring than you though...........
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bet I'm closer to retiring than you though...........
Beat you both ...and we have a hill in Florida
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

I hate fireants
omg summer is upon us
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

we have a place in the hill country with a lake and it's pretty but i couldn't live there.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for 19 years and still not used to it. Of course you need to add the mosquitoes, fireants and other stinging biting creatures to the equation otherwise the Houston area is alright!

....except for the crime and the traffic
I must admit, I was a bit shocked when I saw an armed guard at a grocery store. That was a new one.

Thankfully I was there at thanksgiving time. I lived in the Phoenix area for a while, but similarly hot and humid would probably kill me in time, or at least make me wish I had melted away.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, Just registered.

I and my husband are interested in moving to Houston TX. We have no children and are both training to become teachers. We are a mixed race couple in that i am white british and my husband is black british. We will be looking to have a family - but not in the near future (i.e. about 10 years or so). We both enjoy the theatre, and eating out (who doesn't?), although we like to cook for ourselves most nights.

I will be teaching elementary school/primary school level, and my husband will be teaching high school/secondary school - citizenship and social studies.

Both of us have experience with special educational needs (SEN) and we both know spanish.

We have been looking into this for a while so now a little, but not greatly knowledgable and can always do with any extra advice.

The areas we have looked into for living in Houston have been Humble, The Woodlands, Katy, Klein, Cypress-Fairbank, Spring and Spring Branch.

We still do not know much about these or other areas in houston, only that we have been told these are good areas, without any specific reason.

Any tips, advice or just comments on what Houston is like would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all. x x
Get the visa sorted before you get all excited about Houston. As you require certification, would suggest you look at the whole of Texas to increase your chances rather than just a single city. Your chances of securing a visa our minimal to say the least. The more you add restrictions, the more unlikely it all becomes. Your best bet is some dilapidated heap in the middle of nowhere who doesn't know how much of a hassle it's gonna be to get you here.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your biggest issue is a visa...as a teacher, unless it's at a uni, got slim to no chances based on that alone, for a start, H1B employer would have so start the sponsorship in April for an Oct start, so already you've missed a chunk of the school year, which most schools couldn't afford, nevermind having to pay the cost of the visa.

A uni on the other hand doesn't have the quota backlog, so wouldn't have to worry about starting later, and they would more likely be able to afford to bring someone in.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

we are both openminded and open to new and different experiences.

we are looking for a friendly quite area but not too far (i.e. no more than a couple of hours) from theatre, music, cinema and arts.

as for a home we are looking for a minimum of 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, two garage and a garden with a pool/hottub.

we would prefer a community with community features such as gym, clubhouse, community pool,etc.

thanx and please continue with your good helpful insights. x x
I just noticed - you want a minimum of 4 bedroosm, 2 1/2 baths, pool, etc. - and you are just training to be teachers? You will be newly graduated?

Politely stated - are you kidding?! At least, I sure doubt it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.