British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What is it Like in Houston, TX? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-like-houston-tx-433895/)

GreenHotWater Mar 11th 2007 6:02 pm

What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Hi all, Just registered.

I and my husband are interested in moving to Houston TX. We have no children and are both training to become teachers. We are a mixed race couple in that i am white british and my husband is black british. We will be looking to have a family - but not in the near future (i.e. about 10 years or so). We both enjoy the theatre, and eating out (who doesn't?), although we like to cook for ourselves most nights.

I will be teaching elementary school/primary school level, and my husband will be teaching high school/secondary school - citizenship and social studies.

Both of us have experience with special educational needs (SEN) and we both know spanish.

We have been looking into this for a while so now a little, but not greatly knowledgable and can always do with any extra advice.

The areas we have looked into for living in Houston have been Humble, The Woodlands, Katy, Klein, Cypress-Fairbank, Spring and Spring Branch.

We still do not know much about these or other areas in houston, only that we have been told these are good areas, without any specific reason.

Any tips, advice or just comments on what Houston is like would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all. x x

Ray Mar 11th 2007 6:18 pm

Re: What is it Like in Houston, TX?

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater (Post 4507381)
Hi. We will be looking to have a family - but not in the near future (i.e. about 10 years or so).

I cannot advise on that matter ..... far too young ..

britvic Mar 11th 2007 6:22 pm

TruBrit might be along later she live's in Houston :)

Tracym Mar 11th 2007 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater (Post 4507381)
Hi all, Just registered.

I and my husband are interested in moving to Houston TX. We have no children and are both training to become teachers. We are a mixed race couple in that i am white british and my husband is black british. We will be looking to have a family - but not in the near future (i.e. about 10 years or so). We both enjoy the theatre, and eating out (who doesn't?), although we like to cook for ourselves most nights.

I will be teaching elementary school/primary school level, and my husband will be teaching high school/secondary school - citizenship and social studies.

Both of us have experience with special educational needs (SEN) and we both know spanish.

We have been looking into this for a while so now a little, but not greatly knowledgable and can always do with any extra advice.

The areas we have looked into for living in Houston have been Humble, The Woodlands, Katy, Klein, Cypress-Fairbank, Spring and Spring Branch.

We still do not know much about these or other areas in houston, only that we have been told these are good areas, without any specific reason.

Any tips, advice or just comments on what Houston is like would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all. x x

Well, I'm a USC. Houston was definitely not my favorite part of the U.S. personally. I'm just wondering why you picked that particular city, or Texas. Of course, Texas is certainly different, you'll find quite a different culture there than you're used to I'm sure. I do suppose as a multi-racial couple, Houston is probably more liberal than a lot of Texas might be.

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 6:58 pm

hello and welcome to BE :)

i beg the question ....why houston? i have no idea why anyone would choose houston :confused:

btw hope your spanish is good ;)

Toontje Mar 11th 2007 7:55 pm

Ermmm, on what kind of visa did you plan to move to the US?

GreenHotWater Mar 11th 2007 8:16 pm

we are thinking Houston, but we are open to other sugestions.

We are looking to go over on a work visa, i think its a HB1 or H1B visa (cant remember what it is called...)

Thanx for responses so far, please dont stop.... x x

Tracym Mar 11th 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater (Post 4507685)
we are thinking Houston, but we are open to other sugestions.

We are looking to go over on a work visa, i think its a HB1 or H1B visa (cant remember what it is called...)

Thanx for responses so far, please dont stop.... x x

Well, I guess some of our curiosity re Houston... What are you looking for over here in an area? Warm weather (HOT!)? Totally different cultural experience? Liberal vs. conservative area? People might have some good ideas re. areas if they know what your interests are.

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4507700)
Well, I guess some of our curiosity re Houston... What are you looking for over here in an area? Warm weather (HOT!) ? Totally different cultural experience? Liberal vs. conservative area? People might have some good ideas re. areas if they know what your interests are.

hot is ok, it's the 100% plus humidity that comes with it :ohmy:

GreenHotWater Mar 11th 2007 8:37 pm

we are both openminded and open to new and different experiences.

we are looking for a friendly quite area but not too far (i.e. no more than a couple of hours) from theatre, music, cinema and arts.

as for a home we are looking for a minimum of 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, two garage and a garden with a pool/hottub.

we would prefer a community with community features such as gym, clubhouse, community pool,etc.

thanx and please continue with your good helpful insights. x x

GreenHotWater Mar 11th 2007 8:39 pm

dont mind hot or humid - actually doesnot bother us - we understand it will take a while to get used to, though no more than if were to move to antartica

Ray Mar 11th 2007 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater (Post 4507740)
we would prefer a community with community features such as gym, clubhouse, community pool,etc.

That may be difficult on a teachers salary ..

You monthly HOA fees could top $500 or more

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 11th 2007 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater (Post 4507744)
dont mind hot or humid - actually doesnot bother us - we understand it will take a while to get used to, though no more than if were to move to antartica

Been here for 19 years and still not used to it. Of course you need to add the mosquitoes, fireants and other stinging biting creatures to the equation otherwise the Houston area is alright!:D ;)

....except for the crime and the traffic:eek:

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by GreenHotWater (Post 4507744)

haha that's not what i hear from the locals...seems they never get used to the dreadful humidity however you just might be lucky :)

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 4507801)
Been here for 19 years and still not used to it. Of course you need to add the mosquitoes, fireants and other stinging biting creatures to the equation otherwise the Houston area is alright!:D ;)

....except for the crime and the traffic:eek:

and i thought you were the one that liked it :eek: :lol: