Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are Kindergarten school hours?

What are Kindergarten school hours?

Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are Kindergarten school hours?

Hi all, i couldnt find the answer to this on my county's school website... my eldest is going to be put in 4th grade i think, and my youngest son, just turned 5 and just started Year One here in the UK would be put into Kindergarten, which looking at it seems a bit like Reception class was so he may be repeating a couple of terms in a way.... but somebody suggested to me that it might also only be a half day class kinda like nursery here - my son has obviously been in full time school for over a year, and i'm kinda freaking at the idea that kindergarten is like nursery, and they only play and go for half days, could anyone shed some light on Kindergarten in the US? Oli is an August birthday so young in his class but he is thriving and loves learning to read and write, i dont want him held back by too much.

Your thoughts welcome please
Maddy xxxx
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are Kindergarten school hours?

Originally Posted by Madelina
... my son has obviously been in full time school for over a year, and i'm kinda freaking at the idea that kindergarten is like nursery, and they only play and go for half days
US schools do what they do... and, unless you point something out to them, your 5 y/o will end up repeating stuff he's already done. You can request that he be moved up a grade - especially if he can already read and write. This same thing happened to me when I was that age and moved across the pond.

Ian
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Whem we moved over here, 10 years ago, we were able to put our son into first grade a year early because he'd done his reception year in the UK. There are pros and cons to this, but for him it's worked out well. Not all school districts will let you do this.
Call the school district regarding kindergarten times etc. Every school district does it's own thing.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:53 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

in my school district in ohio the kindy hours are 9.05 to 3.45 but only on 2 or 3 days per week. (either tuesday/thursdays or monday wednesdays - both with alternating fridays)

my friend sends her daughter to a catholic school and their kindy hours are all mornings or all afternoons. Other friends do this too - so its a real mixture even within 15 miles of here.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Some school districts have full day kindergartens and typically they're not free. We were lucky in that our daughter (she's in fourth grade this year) was able to be enrolled in a full day kindergarten class, although it was out of district and luckily it was free at the time, but those days are probably over now.

While you're son may repeat a lot of what he's already learned from reception, he won't be just playing. If he's clearly too far advanced from the other kids you can ask that he be tested and given more work or moved ahead. I think you'll find schools are pretty adaptable and they shouldn't hold a child back that clearly needs to be moved on.

However, at 5 (and an August birthday) he's probably going to fit right in socially and emotionally with the other kids in his class. Going over what he's already learned is only going to strengthen him in the long run.

Best of luck with everything.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

yes i think you're right - i would be concerned if my 9yr old was effectively repeating a lot of things he'd already covered, but i guess with a 5yr old its not the end of the world if he gets two terms of basic letters, numbers and playtime again - i can always pick up the pace at home if i feel like he needs it... i just dont want the days to be half days! i got used to my lovely free afternoons
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Kindergarten here has improved a lot over the last 15 or so years, since our oldest started after a year in UK reception.
Dd just started K this year and it's more like 1st grade used to be.
All Ds did was play, paint and have some fun. Dd is actually working, days, months, maths, reading etc etc.
Here the school day starts at 7.35am and ends at 2pm Kindergarten used to get out at noon but they have extended the day over the last few years.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madelina
yes i think you're right - i would be concerned if my 9yr old was effectively repeating a lot of things he'd already covered, but i guess with a 5yr old its not the end of the world if he gets two terms of basic letters, numbers and playtime again - i can always pick up the pace at home if i feel like he needs it... i just dont want the days to be half days! i got used to my lovely free afternoons
You'll find its a lot more than learning basic letters, numbers, etc. By the time children enter kindergarten, teachers are expecting they can count (usually as high as 30) recognized all letters, numbers, shapes. Almost from the beginning they are teaching them to read and by the end of kindergarten they should be reading and ready to do simple sums. All this accomplished in a half day! I personally think they should extend this time, I think its only fair to the kids.

Also, if you can afford it, there are private schools that do full day kindergartens. Then you can transfer back to public schools for the following year. I understand what you mean about having the afternoons free.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Kindergarten here has improved a lot over the last 15 or so years, since our oldest started after a year in UK reception.
Dd just started K this year and it's more like 1st grade used to be.
All Ds did was play, paint and have some fun. Dd is actually working, days, months, maths, reading etc etc.
Here the school day starts at 7.35am and ends at 2pm Kindergarten used to get out at noon but they have extended the day over the last few years.
That's what I've found as well.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My son started school here last year (he was 6) and went into 1st grade but ended up moving to Kindergarten after Christmas. My daughter (now 5 1/2) has just started kindergarten. Weird that they are a year apart in school and 2 years apart in age.

Our school district does full time and part time Kindergarten. Part time is free and on alternate days. Full time you have to pay for. The hours are 8am - 2.35pm
Old Sep 10th 2010, 5:33 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, depends on the school district and then the school itself. Where I live (Seattle) K is mainly full day with a few exceptions. The hours were 9.30 - 3.25.
Naomi.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

You need to call or email the local school district. Where we were living was half day kindgergarten - 8.30 - 11.10 or 11.40 - 2.20. They are supposed to be moving to full day kindgergarten soon, and some districts already do full day.

Also you might want to find out the cut off date. If it is an August cut off and if your son went straight to first grade he could be the youngest by a year or so, which may be hard on him socially.

Private school may be an option for a longer day and maybe more academic / challenging focus. As well as the private schools there are private preschools that go up to kindergarten. Many people where we lived seemed to transfer schools between kindergarten and first grade.

I think the kindergarten curriculum is broadly similar to reception in England. It is not just play, but children are usually working on reading and basic math concepts.

My daughter turned 7 yesterday and did her first full day of school the day before!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:11 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

My DD will turn 5 this month and she just started K this week. Her hours are 8.00-2.30 5 days a week.

We had her back to school night on Wednesday and we were told that they will be getting homework 4 nights a week for English and maths once a week.The Principal said that K has changed so much over the last 5 years and so much more is now expected from the children. She even said that they would tell us if they thought a child is falling behind so that we can hire a tutor. Sounds a tad OTT to me!

I thought K was supposed to be similar to reception.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Where I am in Maine it depends what your local school district does. Our town does half day kindergarten so it's 8:20 to 12:20 or 12:20 to 3:10. The surrounding towns all do full day kindergarten.

Ours is the most successful school system, so it's obviously not harming the children.

I had to make a similar decision to yours when we moved here. Having been through it, I wouldn't move an August birthday child up a year. It might work academically but I think it'll be very hard on them socially and emotionally.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

TX (Round Rock specifically) K is 5 days a week, 7:40 to 2:45. 1st grade onwards is the same. Kid is knackered by the time he gets home....

- Tim