Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What kind of visa?

What kind of visa?

Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Broadcaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What kind of visa?

Have searched the archives but could not find a similar question.

I am thinking of buying a retirement property in the US with a view of staying up to half the year there, the remainder here in London, UK.

Is this possible without any particular visa hitch?

What kind of visa should I apply for?

Finally, would I be breaking any of the visa rules by simply investing in a US registered business in the US? Any dividend would suppliment my retirement income.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 10th 2003, 2:36 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of visa?

Two questions!

1. To stay in the US for six months you will need a B1/B2 tourist visa. This allows you stay in the US for up to six months. There should be no problems as you are using it to go to your retirement house.

2. If you invest in a business then you could actually apply for an E2 visa which would allow you to stay in the US longer. You do not need to get this visa as there is no (visa/immigration) problem with you owning/investing in the US. I would, however, look into the tax implecations of it

Good Luck

Patrick

Originally posted by Broadcaster
Have searched the archives but could not find a similar question.

I am thinking of buying a retirement property in the US with a view of staying up to half the year there, the remainder here in London, UK.

Is this possible without any particular visa hitch?

What kind of visa should I apply for?

Finally, would I be breaking any of the visa rules by simply investing in a US registered business in the US? Any dividend would suppliment my retirement income.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 1:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
..... If you invest in a business then you could actually apply for an E2 visa .....
Patrick, you should go and lie down for a while in a darkened room, you clearly can't be well. .....

..... I never thought I'd see that day that you actually suggest that somebody apply for an E-2 visa!

=========================
The investment for an E-2 visa must be "substantial" (no hard and fast rules on this point, so you'd need to consult an experienced immigration lawyer on this point, but the general consensus on this board appears to be $100,000 as a minimum.

...... On the other hand if you are "rolling in it", and can invest $1m you can get a immigraiton visa (sorry I can't remember the code for this one).
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Broadcaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What kind of visa?

Thanks very much for the feedback so far.

I had not thought of the E2 as I thought I read a good while back that at least in the US the minimum investment had been increased for 500K to 1 million USD, though I could be wrong. I do know the equivalent visa for Canada requires a far lower financial input.

OK on the tax implications.

Do you think it's wise to apply for a visa prior to or after purchasing a property? What I'm really saying is, would there be any reason for them not to grant me a 6-month visitors visa? I have visited the US several times in the past and for a short while invested in a business there.

Phil
Old Aug 12th 2003, 3:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Broadcaster
Thanks very much for the feedback so far.

I had not thought of the E2 as I thought I read a good while back that at least in the US the minimum investment had been increased for 500K to 1 million USD, though I could be wrong. I do know the equivalent visa for Canada requires a far lower financial input.

OK on the tax implications.

Do you think it's wise to apply for a visa prior to or after purchasing a property? What I'm really saying is, would there be any reason for them not to grant me a 6-month visitors visa? I have visited the US several times in the past and for a short while invested in a business there.

Phil
Appy for your Visa before you buy.. If you intend to buy in Florida where thousands of Brits come for up to 6 months every winter
I dont think you will have any problem, if you intend to buy in an area not normally used a touristy area, they may wonder, but usually if you are an older person coming up to retirement age it normally sails through ok..
E-2 visa is usually used if you buy a business and run it minimum expenditure is usually about 80K-$100k, but will not give you a green card .