Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Kind of Car Do you Have?

What Kind of Car Do you Have?

Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Kind of Car Do you Have?

Yukon XL

I'm in Texas so what else am I going to drive???

Going shopping this weekend to get my wife a Sebring Convertible.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

We made a major mistake when we first moved here and bought a VW Beetle. Very nice car however the plan was that it would be my car and when we got a bank account a month later we would get the big guy a car then. However we ended up living 10 minutes from his work place plus I couldnt work for ages because I didnt have my Visa. So it ended up not worth us getting a second car and were stuck with the Beetle forever. We didnt know how long we were going to stay here so didnt know if and when to change the car. We then moved 2 minutes from his work and I now work from home. So 2 years later we still have a VW beetle and my man is sick of his friends taking the piss. The funny thing is we both had lovely cars in England and we moved here thinking we would have even greater cars, oh well
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:21 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandeeuk
I drive a TT as well and can't imagine driving anything else. I'm getting so fed up with huge SUV's, especially Expeditions. Is there any need for cars this big? And why do they always have to park next to my lovely wee car?
I do love the car, but I end up being more cautious in it than in the van as i cannot see over the tops of all the monster SUVs at junctions etc. Still it is great when going to South Beach, and it kind of holds its own against the Bentleys and Ferraris - oh well, maybe next time.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandeeuk
I'm getting so fed up with huge SUV's, especially Expeditions. Is there any need for cars this big?

yes, I love my car, drove tiny little things back in England so its so nice to be able to get a pushchair and the shopping in it as well as the kids having many visitors from the UK as well, it means we can all go places in the same car, picking people up from the airport isn't an issue, I wouldn't swap it for the world, although I also love my hubbys Crossfire.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 9:32 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

I went from a Nissan Micra to a 2000 Nissan Altima SE ... jet black interior and exterior, electric windows/mirrors/roof, CD changer, AC, Cruise control a whole *4* cup holders too

I tell you, it was the cup holders that sold me

http://smeg.serveftp.org/gallery/Sme.../car/exterior/

It's much bigger, faster, more comfortable than my micra (most things are), but costs me about the same to run. Go figure.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg
I went from a Nissan Micra to a 2000 Nissan Altima SE ... jet black interior and exterior, electric windows/mirrors/roof, CD changer, AC, Cruise control a whole *4* cup holders too

I tell you, it was the cup holders that sold me
another reason for owning an 'expedition' then, mine has 17..
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
another reason for owning an 'expedition' then, mine has 17..
well la de bleedin dah!!!!!!!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
well la de bleedin dah!!!!!!!
sorry, I'm showing off, but my last car didn't have any, all I ever wanted in life was a cup holder...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, I'm showing off, but my last car didn't have any, all I ever wanted in life was a cup holder...
Yes ...I noticed some time ago ..Lol....
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:55 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Cupholders seem to cause a lot of problems

My US spec Audi came with 2 and the on the audi tt forum in the UK they are all really angry that they do not come as standard on the UK spec cars.

And the van has some ridiculous amount but the dog bowl won't fit.

Happy Easter !
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dufus
Cupholders seem to cause a lot of problems

My US spec Audi came with 2 and the on the audi tt forum in the UK they are all really angry that they do not come as standard on the UK spec cars.

And the van has some ridiculous amount but the dog bowl won't fit.

Happy Easter !

bet they're a 500 quid optional extra back home..its amazing what you get standard here

happy easter
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Drove a 1997 Mazda 626 coupe in the UK before coming to the US in 1994. Sold it to a bloke with the same surname as me. I felt very guilty because the engine would cut out after about 30 mins - and I didn't tell him. Naturally the test drive was short so he didn't see the problem.

In my defence I did take the car to the dealers to try to get it fixed (several times) but they couldn't find the problem. I suppose they didn't let it warm up enough.

Anyway, I did sell the car pretty cheap. Hopefully he got it sorted out at minimal expense, but I'm sure he was cursing me for a bit afterwards

Once I got to the US, I bought a 1989 Acura Integra with 97,000 miles on it. Nice little motor, and I kept it until 2003 with 225,000 on the clock. Donated it to charity.

Bought an ex-rental 2000 Chevy Malibu for the missus. She ended up totalling that one winter's morning on the way to work when she aquaplaned on the freeway. Fortunately she wasn't hurt and no-one else was involved.

She now drives a 2001 Lexus RX300 we bought as certified pre-owned with 40,000 miles - really nice motor, no problems whatsoever. Its now at 85,000.

I bought a 2001 Toyota RAV4 from a private seller with 28,000 miles. Wanted a Volvo C70 convertible but couldn't afford it. The RAV is not bad. The catalytic converter went but was covered by the warranty. Mileage is now 61,000.

I've still never bought a brand-spanking new car, which it seems everyone in the US does all the time. Still, maybe next time I'll plump for one just to say I did it.

As one of the other posters mentioned, you quickly get used to automatic gearboxes. Now I hate driving a manual - can't bear all that clutch stuff in slow moving traffic. So whenever we go back to the UK I always hire an automatic now - how sad!