Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Kind of Car Do you Have?

What Kind of Car Do you Have?

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:49 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Kind of Car Do you Have?

Originally Posted by Bob
The touring car races? quality stuff that...
Yeah, the touring car races too - they were fantastic - haven't seen them for ages - although thats closer to the professional side of the sport with works teams etc - I was thinking more of the small motor club series and some of the historic car club series - all the drivers are dentists or lawyers and the like - ie lots of cash to spend on vintage porsches to wrap round the armco at druids!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, the touring car races too - they were fantastic - haven't seen them for ages - although thats closer to the professional side of the sport with works teams etc - I was thinking more of the small motor club series and some of the historic car club series - all the drivers are dentists or lawyers and the like - ie lots of cash to spend on vintage porsches to wrap round the armco at druids!!
oh yeah, I know what you mean
haven't seen as much of that, but it's all fun stuff...though touring car was good cos it was on tele every week in blighty, ain't seen it in ages, but I certainly prefered it to F1, more competitive, could have different winners and teams in every race...not to mention some quality crashes
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:21 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Being English I had to get a Jag
A Jaguar XJS convertible, an 1974 XJ6L and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1

We need the Jeep in case we want to go somewhere without breaking down, no I've had no major issues with Jags, so far.
I also almost bought a 1966 Jaguar Mark II but the missus talked reason into me.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Being English I had to get a Jag
A Jaguar XJS convertible, an 1974 XJ6L and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We need the Jeep in case we want to go somewhere without breaking down, no I've had no major issues with Jags, so far.
I also almost bought a 1966 Jaguar Mark II but the missus talked reason into me.
Like the XJS!!!

Is the Cherokee reliable then? Or just that the others aren't? A friend has an '03 Grand Cherokee, and they seem to be singlehandedly keeping AAA in business!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Cherokee reliable then? Or just that the others aren't? A friend has an '03 Grand Cherokee, and they seem to be singlehandedly keeping AAA in business!
friend has one, don't know how old, probably a fair bit now and it's utter pants, well it's also two wheel drive so in the winter have to get the sand bags out on the back seats otherwise it just skitters about, and it breaks down quite a lot because of all the bumping around, mainly things like the exhaust scraping and falling off or dodgy shocks...
but then he also rags the beast when it's working...
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:51 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have jeep liberty and Ellen has a Civic, we are just about to swap out the civic for an Odessey now we have 2 kids and shitload of visitors
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:07 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Like the XJS!!!

Haven't had any issues, but it is my girlfreinds car, she only drives about 50 - 100 miles a week. Jags have a bad reputation but again I only drive short distances with the XJ6, and the convertible I only use at weekends.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has a Nissan Altima 2005- great car to drive. I have a 99 GMC Jimmy, which I was going to trade in at the emd of last year but I'm enjoying having no car payment too much- plus the old jalopy is going great and never had much trouble with it at all.

In Uk we had BMWs- fabulous cars- wouldn't get one out here though.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Taffyles
In Uk we had BMWs- fabulous cars- wouldn't get one out here though.
seen the hybrid cars fighting it out?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/...hybridtest.html

Worth a quick look through
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

VFRpilot is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Lesley1020]Just curious as to what people drive over here and how it compares with what they had in the UK?

I drive a 2005 Audi A4 convertible, which I love. My wife has a inifinity Q45 and we also have an old Ford Winstar van that is used as a station car. At home, I had a Rover convertible which was a company car and my wife had a Renault Feugo. Our daughter is fast approaching 17 and we are now looking for a car for her. She has her sights on some up market chariot. How times have changed. I started with an old rust bucket 200 pound Hillman Imp.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
seen the hybrid cars fighting it out?

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/...hybridtest.html

Worth a quick look through

Link didn't work for me.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...ybridtest.html

Hybrid cars...worked for me...
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFRpilot
Our daughter is fast approaching 17 and we are now looking for a car for her. She has her sights on some up market chariot. How times have changed. I started with an old rust bucket 200 pound Hillman Imp.
I asked my daughter what car she would like when the time comes, her response was an X5 or a Crossfire , hmmmmm let me think, er, no..
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 10:56 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 - which i ordered just before i moved to Miami from London - so that it was here in time for my arrival - ha ha, well that plan did not work out.

I adopted a Saint Bernard puppy in December, so now also have a Chevrolet Venture 7 seater van - this cost 10% of the price of the Audi and is so much more useful, but not so much fun.

Happy motoring !
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

mandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dufus
I have a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 - which i ordered just before i moved to Miami from London - so that it was here in time for my arrival - ha ha, well that plan did not work out.

I adopted a Saint Bernard puppy in December, so now also have a Chevrolet Venture 7 seater van - this cost 10% of the price of the Audi and is so much more useful, but not so much fun.

Happy motoring !

I drive a TT as well and can't imagine driving anything else. I'm getting so fed up with huge SUV's, especially Expeditions. Is there any need for cars this big? And why do they always have to park next to my lovely wee car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.