Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What jokes do you play on Americans?

What jokes do you play on Americans?

Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What jokes do you play on Americans?

Originally Posted by tomelina
I love self-depricating humor, but isn't that taking it too far?
What a coincidence, he didn't think it was funny either. Don't worry, I took pity on him after 3 years and threw him back - he married someone else and lived happily ever after.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:26 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
- he married someone else and lived happily ever after.
Don't you just hate it when they do that?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 8:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Don't you just hate it when they do that?
I know, you'd think they would have the decency to suffer a bit first, wouldn't you? But no.............
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:36 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

A 3 letter word. Gets Americans every time.

WIT

Every time I use WIT, I can see their hair ruffle as it shoots over their head at the speed of light....
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:43 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
- i havent tried this in US yet, but in england when nteruppted by a phone salesman (always seems to be tea time!!) i would tell them i rather busy right now - but could i take their home number so i can call them back later, to which they normally reply they are not alowed to give out personal phone numbers - and i say 'why is that then?, because you find it intrussive people bothering you in your own home' - which normally stops the conversation

Ant
Yeah I like that bit in Seinfeld too.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:15 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in London three American friends of my wife who shared a flat in Hammersmith were told by their landlord that they had to get a TV license when they moved in. They thought he was winding them up since the concept of a license to watch telly was utterly ludicrous to them. They asked me about it and I managed to convince them that not only were TV licenses real, but also (briefly) that they needed one each.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

My American friend who lived in the UK for a while, had one of his hometown friends come over for a visit a few years back. Before his friend arrived, he told him that he wouldn't be able to buy certain things like razors and soaps, until thursdays, because Britain was an island and they only got supplies shipped in on that day. He fell for it to.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 10:36 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

well when i'm out with hubby at a bar or something(of course this doesn't happen often ) and somebody asks where i'm from i like to reply ...from another state..(i'll mention any state) kinda funny to see puzzled looks...and through thier drunken mists they're trying to figure out if your pulling their leg...
Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paint
....Yes, and I'm usually very polite to them to start off with, and explain nicely that they must have called us in error, because we are on the Colorado 'Do Not Call' list, and that we are in the middle of dinner right now and that we never have or will buy anything as a result of a sales call, and that we are really not interested....but then when they carry on wasting your time trying to convince you to change your mind (or even worse, you realise that they haven't even paused in their fixed pre-written spiel to listen to your reply), then that's when the wickedness comes out.... I am never wicked to those nice salespeople who listen to me, thank me for my time and then hang up.

Paint.
My apologies then. From the outset it sounded as if you did that with everyone, although they're annoying enough that its hard not to.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I told a coworker that I wanted to go on vacation to Hawaii cos I wanted to climb Mount Awhannahokaloogie...

Childish , eh? They haven't spoken to me since...

Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:39 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I married one once.
*LOL* ... many a Brit expat has played that "joke". Sad though all the same.

Old Feb 11th 2005, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
... They asked me about it and I managed to convince them that not only were TV licenses real, but also (briefly) that they needed one each.
It's only one per household...
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:15 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's only one per household...
get away
Old Feb 12th 2005, 4:39 am
Just Joined

VegaLA is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone here use to watch 'The Day today' or 'Brasseye' ?
If anyone comes over to my apnt and they are interested in UK TV I tell them that those programs are in fact real news shows or documentaries. Some fall for it, some are left in shock but i've had one or two just reply "no...that can't be right...thats stoopid !!"

Last edited by VegaLA; Feb 12th 2005 at 4:48 am.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:14 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

I am never wicked to those nice salespeople who listen to me, thank me for my time and then hang up.

Paint.[/QUOTE]

I like to ask them to "hang on a minite, let me turn down the stove" leave the phone off the hook and then simply take the dog for a long walk...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.