British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-jobs-shall-available-me-when-im-2-year-greencard-723877/)

britishspouse Jul 6th 2011 7:07 pm

What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 
Okay so just a quick question, but something im not 100% sure on, as I have read contradicting information.

Basically over here I studied forensic science and it is something id eventually like to get back into, and I know often in America you start working as a police officer and then get transferred into forensics.

So my question is would I be eligible to work for the police or military on a 2 year green card? Or are those professions only allowed once you have had your oath ceremony and been naturalized as a citizen? I understand naturalization can happen after about 6-8 years? I also read something saying you cannot enlist on a 2 year greencard because it wouldnt be enough time to complete the minimum obligation, however on a 10 year card you can?

I dont immediately plan on doing it, because I think I have a job lined up at a target as a junior manager for when I first get back, providing they like me. But its certainly something id like to pursue after maybe a year or two. I am still doing research on how entry to the forensic sector works over there, and im getting a wee bit confused >_> The military is something id also been considering as lots of hubbys family have served/still serving and greatly enjoy it.

So if anyone could chime in I would greatly appreciate it. My no1 longterm goal is to work in forensics, however the military would be a great experience and opportunity so if I was eligible to apply that would be fantastic also. Id have to get in way better shape first so that may take 2 years anyway just getting fitter, also i Know if you can speak a second language they prefer that so 2 years would give me chance to get studying. Thanks for any input :)

S Folinsky Jul 6th 2011 7:14 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9479435)
Okay so just a quick question, but something im not 100% sure on, as I have read contradicting information.

Basically over here I studied forensic science and it is something id eventually like to get back into, and I know often in America you start working as a police officer and then get transferred into forensics.

So my question is would I be eligible to work for the police or military on a 2 year green card? Or are those professions only allowed once you have had your oath ceremony and been naturalized as a citizen? I understand naturalization can happen after about 6-8 years?

I dont immediately plan on doing it, because I think I have a job lined up at a target as a junior manager for when I first get back, providing they like me. But its certainly something id like to pursue after maybe a year or two. I am still doing research on how entry to the forensic sector works over there, and im getting a wee bit confused >_> The military is something id also been considering as lots of hubbys family have served/still serving and greatly enjoy it.

So if anyone could chime in I would greatly appreciate it. My no1 longterm goal is to work in forensics, however the military would be a great experience and opportunity so if I was eligible to apply that would be fantastic also. Id have to get in way better shape first so that may take 2 years anyway just getting fitter. Thanks for any input :)

You can enlist in the military on a green card. Inasmuch as the wartime naturalization provisions are now in effect, you can naturalize upon entry into active duty.

[I know that the Army has a program to naturalize aliens while in Basic Combat Training.].

britishspouse Jul 6th 2011 7:16 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9479449)
You can enlist in the military on a green card. Inasmuch as the wartime naturalization provisions are now in effect, you can naturalize upon entry into active duty.

[I know that the Army has a program to naturalize aliens while in Basic Combat Training.].

Ahh okay thankyou :)

I probably wouldnt go speak with a recruiter for at least a year anyway, as I need to get fit first, but good knowing its possible and I wouldn't have to wait a crazy number of years :)

Thankyou S Folinsky

Noorah101 Jul 6th 2011 8:14 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9479435)
I understand naturalization can happen after about 6-8 years?

If you base your naturalization on being married to a USC, you can apply for naturalization after 3 years of marriage AND 3 years of being a US PR.

If not married to a USC, make that 5 years of being a US PR.

Rene

ian-mstm Jul 6th 2011 11:14 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9479435)
Basically over here I studied forensic science and it is something id eventually like to get back into, and I know often in America you start working as a police officer and then get transferred into forensics.

I work in computer forensics at a university-based forensic science center. We have an onsite state police lab as well as onsite CODIS DNA labs.

I just spoke to one of our lead analysts, who indicates that here (at least) one doesn't need to be a USC or PR to get a job in forensic analysis. However, there is a lot of extra paperwork involved as well as, of course, required background checks and stuff... so that would mean there would need to be tremendous interest from both parties. But... it's not a show stopper!

Ian

Bob Jul 7th 2011 12:22 am

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 
The police, depends on the state. Most do require you to be a USC, some that you be eligible for citizenship and a few other places just that you be a LPR.

Though I don't think you need to be a cop to be in forensics, quite a few places outsource to private firms for the testing and the like.

britishspouse Jul 7th 2011 1:09 am

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 
Thanks for all the replies guys, you have put my mind at ease a bit :D

britishspouse Jul 7th 2011 1:12 am

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9479897)

I just spoke to one of our lead analysts, who indicates that here (at least) one doesn't need to be a USC or PR to get a job in forensic analysis. However, there is a lot of extra paperwork involved as well as, of course, required background checks and stuff... so that would mean there would need to be tremendous interest from both parties. But... it's not a show stopper!

Ian

Yeah thats why i was thinking it might be easier to first work in the police or military and then put in a specialization request to be transferred to that area.

The private companies are something I hadnt thought of actually, so good thing to think about. I do intend on getting some more courses under my belt too, to stand out a bit more :)

Steve_ Jul 7th 2011 5:53 am

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9479435)
So my question is would I be eligible to work for the police or military on a 2 year green card?

Yes, a conditional LPR makes no difference as you clearly will be able to remove conditions. I don't agree with some of the comments I'm seeing in this thread about having to be a USC, not true, first of all it's illegal to specify what ID you use to fill in an I-9 with, so if you use your DL and SSN card like 99.9% of people do the employer would never know and cannot legally ask anyway.

There are various civil rights laws, the main one being the Civil Rights Act 1964, which make it very hard to discriminate against people in hiring practices, have a look at www.eeoc.gov - so even if they surmise your background from your resumé they can't legally do anything about it.

Only people who have to have the highest level of security clearance the US Govt. has can be required to be a USC, iirc and I'm not even sure if that's the case anymore. I'm aware of Federal contracts where they specify the people working on them must not be aliens, but this more a case of not allowing sensitive technology to end up in a plant in Canada or something.

Also there is the 14th Amendment, which entitles you to equal protection of the law.

And if none of that convinces you, I had relatives working for the USG on G visas who did have a high level security clearance.

Bob Jul 7th 2011 4:03 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9480359)
Yes, a conditional LPR makes no difference as you clearly will be able to remove conditions. I don't agree with some of the comments I'm seeing in this thread about having to be a USC, not true, first of all it's illegal to specify what ID you use to fill in an I-9 with, so if you use your DL and SSN card like 99.9% of people do the employer would never know and cannot legally ask anyway.

There are various civil rights laws, the main one being the Civil Rights Act 1964, which make it very hard to discriminate against people in hiring practices, have a look at www.eeoc.gov - so even if they surmise your background from your resumé they can't legally do anything about it.

Only people who have to have the highest level of security clearance the US Govt. has can be required to be a USC, iirc and I'm not even sure if that's the case anymore. I'm aware of Federal contracts where they specify the people working on them must not be aliens, but this more a case of not allowing sensitive technology to end up in a plant in Canada or something.

Also there is the 14th Amendment, which entitles you to equal protection of the law.

And if none of that convinces you, I had relatives working for the USG on G visas who did have a high level security clearance.

You apply for a job as a cop. 9 times out of 10, you need to be a USC. It's fact.

Most government jobs, that's just the way it is, even for low level stuff. It's only been in the last 10 years that LPR's could work for the post office for delivery work.

Steve_ Jul 7th 2011 7:05 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 
Mmm, I admit I was wrong looking into it in greater depth, should never rely on memory.

http://www.usajobs.gov/EI/noncitizensemployment.asp#icc

Which doesn't really clarify it but it's useful to know.

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/qand...nalorigin.html


Citizenship requirements generally do not violate Title VII. Like other employment policies, however, citizenship requirements may not be adopted for discriminatory reasons. Citizenship requirements also must be enforced evenhandedly. For example, an employer may not refuse to hire Egyptian citizens for certain positions based on their lack of U.S. citizenship while hiring British citizens for the same positions. In addition, while Title VII does not prohibit citizenship discrimination, the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) prohibits employers with four or more employees from discriminating because of citizenship status with respect to hiring, referral, or discharge. IRCA's nondiscrimination requirements are enforced by the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices, Civil Rights Division, at the Department of Justice.
There must be an exemption for public agencies as they obviously have more than four employees as I doubt LAPD would violate the law. Found this:


There are very few exceptions to the prohibition of citizenship discrimination. A U.S. citizenship requirement for employment is proper only if it is required to comply with a law, regulation, or an executive order; it is required by a federal, state, or local government contract; or the U.S. Attorney General determines that the citizenship requirement is essential for the employer to do business with an agency or a department of the federal, state, or local government.
So that explains it, State or local govt. contract. Still think that would have a hard time standing up in court if someone challenged it under the 14th Amendment. "the U.S. Attorney General determines that the citizenship requirement is essential" this is what I was talking about in my previous post with USG contracts.

Very fudged area of the law, like I said I have relatives who had G visas and a USG clearance and worked for the USG, so they must have fallen into this "can't find an American" exemption.

Bob Jul 7th 2011 7:50 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9481784)
Very fudged area of the law, like I said I have relatives who had G visas and a USG clearance and worked for the USG, so they must have fallen into this "can't find an American" exemption.

National interest waivers are there for a reason...but they wouldn't be bothering with the cost and hassle of doing that for the local bobby :D

deng890 Jul 9th 2011 12:48 am

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 
If you join the army then don't expect to see much of the US for a while. They'd almost certainly ship you off to Afghanistan soon after bootcamp, for multiple year long tours.

britishspouse Jul 10th 2011 1:50 pm

Re: What jobs shall be available to me when Im on 2 year greencard
 

Originally Posted by deng890 (Post 9484305)
If you join the army then don't expect to see much of the US for a while. They'd almost certainly ship you off to Afghanistan soon after bootcamp, for multiple year long tours.

Yeah I know, FIL was army, served over 20 years and he has actually been talking me off joining and recommending another branch. He loved serving and is so proud he did, but he says nowerdays it might not be the right choice for me. BIL and his wife are both air force and love it, he's in IT and she's a nurse. So I may talk to a recruiter from there and ask some questions. I also considered coastguard, which im not 100% on their entry process so it would def take some more research.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:01 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.