Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What jobs got you in?

What jobs got you in?

Old Jul 4th 2016, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

ZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile What jobs got you in?

Hi All,

I have a 10 year plan for me and my family to take the steps to move to America.

I am going back to university to gain a bachelors degree in business management and accounting and looking to move my career in to HR/Finance/Management.

My question is - What jobs got you into the US (please no transfer stories) I'm looking for those who gained entry by a HB1 visa.

Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What jobs got you in?

Are you just curious?

I don't really understand why you have multiple threads asking how others got here, what visa they used, what their job is/was. You have your own career path. ..will it really help you to know that Ms. X came here 12 years ago as a civil engineering project manager?

Also, in your other thread, you decided your best route is to work in the UK and get a transfer in the future (L visa). But now you're asking only for H1B stories.

Rene
Old Jul 4th 2016, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond reputeZoeT90 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you just curious?

I don't really understand why you have multiple threads asking how others got here, what visa they used, what their job is/was. You have your own career path. ..will it really help you to know that Ms. X came here 12 years ago as a civil engineering project manager?

Also, in your other thread, you decided your best route is to work in the UK and get a transfer in the future (L visa). But now you're asking only for H1B stories.

Rene

I really want to get as much information as possible from many different people and see how they gained there visas. I do know a family friend living in california who moved there on a HB1 visa through a job advertised in a newspaper! So I really want to find out all the different angles to getting the working visas.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZoeT90
I really want to get as much information as possible from many different people and see how they gained there visas. I do know a family friend living in california who moved there on a HB1 visa through a job advertised in a newspaper! So I really want to find out all the different angles to getting the working visas.

You do understand that if either you or your OH are sponsored for an H1B, the other party will not be able to work absent their own visa sponsorship? That is why the transfer via a company with a US presence has been suggested as preferable -- the accompanying spouse can apply for employment authorization. However, as I understand that you are looking to move ten years down the road, who knows what the immigration landscape will look like at that time . . . it could have changed drastically, in the direction of the rules becoming more stringent.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You do understand that if either you or your OH are sponsored for an H1B, the other party will not be able to work absent their own visa sponsorship? That is why the transfer via a company with a US presence has been suggested as preferable -- the accompanying spouse can apply for employment authorization. However, as I understand that you are looking to move ten years down the road, who knows what the immigration landscape will look like at that time . . . it could have changed drastically, in the direction of the rules becoming more stringent.

Yes I am aware of that - Is it possible for my OH to eventually apply for a work visa?

My reason for wanting to find out the info now is so I can plan, I'm one of those type of people that likes to write down goals and targets for 5/10/15 years time. And I am also under the impression getting a visa can take time too
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I have a 10 year plan for me and my family to take the steps to move to America.

I am going back to university to gain a bachelors degree in business management and accounting and looking to move my career in to HR/Finance/Management.

My question is - What jobs got you into the US (please no transfer stories) I'm looking for those who gained entry by a HB1 visa.

Thanks
If you're picking a brand new career area for a possible US move within the decade, I'd have thought something STEM-Y would work a lot better, along with honing a very niche and specific skill. A bachelors degree is very standard and entry level here, and 6-7 years post-graduate experience in any general business management field is unlikely to create a CV that generates visas.

To have a chance of being considered for a business management move, a Masters and 15-20 years of experience is more the norm, and even that's for internal transfers where the company knows your success track record or you have specific European operations knowledge that they want to import. Life planning is an excellent idea, but you need a plan that gets you to a stage of 'in 10 years, how can I have gained skills and experiences that are otherwise unavailable in the entire US job market?', and I just don't see a business degree and some years of low-middle management roles as getting you there.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

You already asked this question as part of your other thread. I don't see what opening another thread is going to provide for you.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kodokan
If you're picking a brand new career area for a possible US move within the decade, I'd have thought something STEM-Y would work a lot better, along with honing a very niche and specific skill. A bachelors degree is very standard and entry level here, and 6-7 years post-graduate experience in any general business management field is unlikely to create a CV that generates visas.

To have a chance of being considered for a business management move, a Masters and 15-20 years of experience is more the norm, and even that's for internal transfers where the company knows your success track record or you have specific European operations knowledge that they want to import. Life planning is an excellent idea, but you need a plan that gets you to a stage of 'in 10 years, how can I have gained skills and experiences that are otherwise unavailable in the entire US job market?', and I just don't see a business degree and some years of low-middle management roles as getting you there.

Thank you for your informative response.

Yes my plan is going to include those aspects of how I need to get where I want to be in x years time - that is why I am asking so many question!

At the moment I plan to get my Ba (Hons) Business Management and Accounting and my ACA qualification with ICAEW, so I am already taking the steps to further my education to progress my career - that I am hoping will help me get my foot in the door.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Owen778
You already asked this question as part of your other thread. I don't see what opening another thread is going to provide for you.
Thank you for your response, but please only post If you are going to provide relevant and helpful information to mu question(s)
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response, but please only post If you are going to provide relevant and helpful information to mu question(s)
I'm sorry but you cannot choose what information is posted in threads.

The problem with opening multiple threads on the same/similar subjects...is that people tend to get bored and avoid the threads.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm sorry but you cannot choose what information is posted in threads.

The problem with opening multiple threads on the same/similar subjects...is that people tend to get bored and avoid the threads.

Yes, but if someone doesn't have anything useful to say - why post?

My reason for the multiple threads (as I have said previously) Is I am trying to get as much information as possible surrounding all the options available.

I have Google searched, I have visited uscis.gov, and so many other websites and I thought a forum with people with hands on experience was the next step to ask all the questions I am after.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You have your own career path. ..will it really help you to know that Ms. X came here 12 years ago as a civil engineering project manager?

Rene
Personally - yes it will, because then I can view a wide range of the different levels of experience, job categories, industries etc. that have been accepted
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

How is this different from your other visa thread? In a country the size of the USA, there is going to be an enormous variety of industries and jobs that have been filled by immigrants on visas.

FWIW, my job is a scientific one in the pharmaceutical industry, but I came over on an L1 visa not H1B.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am aware of that - Is it possible for my OH to eventually apply for a work visa?

My reason for wanting to find out the info now is so I can plan, I'm one of those type of people that likes to write down goals and targets for 5/10/15 years time. And I am also under the impression getting a visa can take time too
If you are on a H1B, your husband will be unable to work. He cannot apply for anything. If he finds someone willing to go to the expense of sponsoring him, they will have to go through the same routine as your company would have gone through to obtain your H1B. The H1B also may or may not lead to a green card, dependent on the employer.

Don't you think this is all a little bit iffy when there is a child involved? If you are transferred by an employer who is happy with your work, there ought to be a little more leverage for you to make one of the terms of the transfer that the company will sponsor you for a green card after a set period of time. Also, why do you want to wait until your child is older to move? Historically, younger children settle in better and are less worried about leaving their friends behind.

Unfortunately, any info you receive now could be obsolete in a year's time, let alone ten.
Old Jul 4th 2016, 4:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since this thread is so similar to the existing thread, and no one is actually answering her intended question, I am closing it.

Rene