Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are the job prospects, living costs and life like in the USA

What are the job prospects, living costs and life like in the USA

Old Mar 21st 2015, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the job prospects, living costs and life like in the USA

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But unless you have an extraordinarily generous employer, or are dirt-poor and get heavily subsidized ACA coverage, it's swings and roundabouts. You either pay a lot of the cost of treatment yourself, OR you pay high medical insurance premiums. If you are sick or otherwise a heavy user of medical services, you end up paying one way or the other.
Yup.

The number one reason NOT to emigrate to the USA is there's no proper healthcare. Because this is an extremely capitalist society ( with corporate factions controlling much of the news outlet information ) you will only be told ' US= best healthcare in the world' because occasionally some billionaire flies here for a non-standard treatment no one else would even have an option on...that we get hotel-like facilities when we go into hospital ( assuming we're covered to even go there ) or some desperate family makes a last-ditch attempt to save a loved one that people in other countries would not attempt with the inevitable outcome- the family probably trying any last ditch attempt without realising the incurred massive debt.

If you're in great health, have family in Europe you could return to live with if you get sick- that would work. Otherwise you need to have a lot of skills to earn the money to live here really.

Everybody thinks it's easy over here. No it's not!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

After writing all the other stuff earlier I was trying to go through my household accounts in my head and think of bills I missed-

contents insurance
property tax
HOA fees
cable tv
water/ sewer
trash collection
cellphone
Car inspection/ car tag
AAA car recovery service

I may have missed something???
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
After writing all the other stuff earlier I was trying to go through my household accounts in my head and think of bills I missed-

contents insurance
property tax
HOA fees
cable tv
water/ sewer
trash collection
cellphone
Car inspection/ car tag
AAA car recovery service

Well you haven't paid rent/mortgage and you haven't eaten yet. Electricity, gas, health premiums...
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward

contents insurance
property tax
HOA fees
cable tv
water/ sewer
trash collection
cellphone
Car inspection/ car tag
AAA car recovery service

if you rent, you don't pay property tax or HOA fees, they are included in your rental price.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Without wishing to hijack this thread, I too am a bit curious but my situation is a bit different to the OP.

My wife is American and we plan on moving back to the US next year. She is from WA and to be relatively close to her family we are looking to settle somewhere in the PNW area at least initially. I am a Mechanical/Automotive Engineer (I currently work for Ford). My question is: For anyone who moved out on anything but an employment visa, did you apply for/secure a job before morning out or did you move roughly to an area where you wanted to be then find work accordingly?

As I say, I'd like to secure a job before heading out. But if not then the plan would be to live with the inlaws until a job somewhere came up.

Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunalready
Without wishing to hijack this thread, I too am a bit curious but my situation is a bit different to the OP.

My wife is American and we plan on moving back to the US next year. She is from WA and to be relatively close to her family we are looking to settle somewhere in the PNW area at least initially. I am a Mechanical/Automotive Engineer (I currently work for Ford). My question is: For anyone who moved out on anything but an employment visa, did you apply for/secure a job before morning out or did you move roughly to an area where you wanted to be then find work accordingly?

As I say, I'd like to secure a job before heading out. But if not then the plan would be to live with the inlaws until a job somewhere came up. ......
I moved on a CR-1, but although Mrs P had lived in the US prior to us getting married she was living in the UK when we were looking at moving to the US. I visited the US in the month before my visa was granted, and two-and-a-half months before we moved, to attend job interviews. I received three offers, and had a "proper career job" waiting for me when I arrived in the US.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Well you haven't paid rent/mortgage and you haven't eaten yet. Electricity, gas, health premiums...
You missed lunch already.

As to whether it's possible to find a job before moving, sure, but it'll be more difficult. Bigger companies (and probably some small) have auto CV shredders if it doesn't fit their mould of how a CV (sorry, resume) should look with the right key words in the right places. Networking is often going to be more productive.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I am trying to help here but you have to be specific enough to get the answers that you require, for example the term Engineer, does that mean a software one, Civil, Aviation, the list could go on.

If you are talking about software then I can help.

I moved to the states about 11 years ago, I have some Process and computer Engineering experience. I did not land a job in my field straight away that took several months, when I did get the job I had to move to another state (Question you should ask is what state is the best for your career) and worked for the first three years for a company which was a start up, my experiences were mixed (Question, what type of living are you after, such as kids, single life).

In the states they work you like a dog and the expectations is that you spend a lot of your life working and I mean really working, so if you want the just 8 hrs a day life then it may be difficult.

I hope this helps a bit but please be more specific about what you want to know etc.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by srh
Are there any graduates or people with 2/3 years experience who moved there and what was your experience like? Do you like it or hate it? would you move back?
Old Apr 1st 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

davejenk477 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm a civil engineer and have recently moved to the US. I sorted the visa myself as my wife is American, but I did manage to land a job before getting the visa. I applied for lots of positions, and made sure I mentioned that I didn't expect visa sponsorship and could arrange and pay for the visa myself. My situation is a little different from yours as I had around 7 years experience, I'm not sure how it would have worked if I was straight out of college.

I had much more success applying to smaller companies, I never got a response from the larger companies I applied to. I also found an engineering specific recruitment consultant helpful. I had initial telephone interviews and then flew out for an interview (at my own expense, we combined it with a trip to see my wifes family).

In terms of cost of living etc I have found that rent (Upstate NY) is similar to the UK (Sheffield) for a similar size place. We haven't bought yet so I don't know about taxes etc, but as we are renting we don't pay 'council tax' or equivalent, im guessing this is paid for by the owner. We do need 2 cars here though as oppose to one in the UK so that's an additional cost, and insurance is around $200 per month for 2 cars.

I have found that clothes, eating out, gas, drinks and most entertainment (eg cinema, sports, museums) etc cheaper than the UK, but we seem to spend a lot more on groceries. Things like cable, cellphone, water etc are similar to the UK.

Healthcare varies a lot depending what your company offers, luckily my wife works at a hospital and gets fairly cheap insurance. It is a high deductible plan though, so you need to be aware of the potential for a large out of pocket cost if something does happen.

Let me know if you have any other questions about living here or about engineering!
Old Apr 1st 2015, 6:21 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

just be aware that health insurance isnt the same as the NHS. We have fairly good health insurance and we still have to fork out several thousands in deductibles, co pays, etc. Thats on top of the premiums that come out of our salary too (and the premiums part that the company pays). Unless you have the best insurance that ive ever heard of - you will still have to pay if you have issues.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

slices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I moved on a CR-1, but although Mrs P had lived in the US prior to us getting married she was living in the UK when we were looking at moving to the US. I visited the US in the month before my visa was granted, and two-and-a-half months before we moved, to attend job interviews. I received three offers, and had a "proper career job" waiting for me when I arrived in the US.
I've been wondering about this recently, did you have any problems with interviews before your visa was granted. I've just changed jobs in the UK, and a lot of places I interviewed wanted to see my passport etc at the interview.

Most likely I'l be in a similar position next year, looking to visit the US around Easter and move in the Summer.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

rosemaryw is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are some thoughts, in no particular order:
I agree with the other respondents. It can be tough and rough in the US but I'm in my 31st year here.

Even if you have good health insurance, your copay can be 20% and tests and procedures often cost thousands. I was quoted $2500 for a root canal and crown. Ambulance fees just for a couple of miles' trip can run $6000 or more!

People go bankrupt over hospital bills. You must be destitute to get welfare. The US is no place in which to rely on social assistance/housing allowance. Cash is king here.

Often the high tech jobs are in expensive areas eg Boston. Silicon Valley, LA, SF Bay Area, Seattle.

I came to the US after a PhD in science and went through the J-1, H-1, green card and citizen route, having been sponsored by US government and US firm. Pay is typically considerably higher with an advanced degree. Job security and company pensions are a thing of the past. In states such as California, employment is "at will" so firms can let you go at any time and for no reason, AND THEY DO.

Regarding cost of living, there are websites that allow you to compare cost and quality of living for various cities within the US. Do your research. There are stark contrasts in both costs and quality of life across the US. Don't forget cultural differences and how well different communities will accept you.

Current and future job demand estimates/regional growth are published by the government and are likely just a google or two away!

Just because house prices may seem too good to be true in some parts of the US, that doesn't necessarily make them good investments. House prices have fallen by 50% or more relative to their peak in 2008 in some parts, but the price may still not be good value. Consider supply and demand. Homes in some regions have proven very difficult to sell. Some neighborhoods have been abandoned by the owners and left to the banks.

Have you discussed your intentions with your university professors? Mine had numerous contacts in the US and had worked/collaborated with firms and counterparts in the US. Perhaps you could consider doing a masters or other advanced degree at a reputable college in America? You'd have a ready supply of fellow students for your social life and to share an apartment with.

The more specific you are in your future questions, the more helpful may be the responses.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slices
I've been wondering about this recently, did you have any problems with interviews before your visa was granted. I've just changed jobs in the UK, and a lot of places I interviewed wanted to see my passport etc at the interview.

Most likely I'l be in a similar position next year, looking to visit the US around Easter and move in the Summer.
Well once I found a recruiter who was willing to work with me things went fairly well, though even she got very limited traction until I booked a week long visit to New York and asked her if she could schedule interviews. She did, and enough of them went well enough for me to have options.

I don't recall being asked for my passport at the interview stage, nor was, as best I remember, my visa status more than a minor part of the interview discussions; I assume that the recruiter had briefed them on my pending visa and that I would soon be free to take up employment in the US.

Needless to say, YEMV. Good luck!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 1st 2015 at 9:45 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 1:58 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious, where did the OP go? The green card thing interests me.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Far far away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.