Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What are the Income Tax implications in Florida?

What are the Income Tax implications in Florida?

Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:48 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the Income Tax implications in Florida?

Hi there,
ok In trying to decide whether we move to Florida or California, Im looking at various tax implications in both states.
I am aware that Florida doesnt pay income tax??
We will incorporate in either california or Florida, I Know that various people said we should go where its less taxing which is Florida.
In California we are looking to pay around 9% on our income, which we will probably form an S Corp (so the tax gets passed through to me the shareholder and I pay the income tax through the corporation) Simple. ok higher than Florida but a lot lower than the UK.
But in Florida I cant find this info anywhere i have looked on IRS.gov to no avail, googled and its full of blog sites.
Is there anyone out there living in Florida with a Corporation either S or C corp, that can share a little info about how you are taxed either as a company, personal or both? (we will be applying for an L1a)
thank you
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the Income Tax implications in Florida?

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
I am aware that Florida doesnt pay income tax??
I think you mean that in Florida there is no state tax on personal income.

There are lots of other taxes and, of course, you will still end up paying Federal taxes ...

But in Florida I cant find this info anywhere i have looked on IRS.gov to no avail, googled and its full of blog sites.
Why would you expect to find information about state taxes on a federal government web site?

Try looking here and here.

Last edited by md95065; Nov 8th 2009 at 4:38 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
I think you mean that in Florida there is no state tax on personal income.

There are lots of other taxes and, of course, you will still end up paying Federal taxes ...

Why would you expect to find information about state taxes on a federal government web site?

Try looking here and here.
Thank you for your help
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that, no matter where your business is based, if you have business income arising in other states then those states might tax you on that income.

E.g. if you are based in Florida, but travel to California to work on a consulting project, California might tax you on the income from that project.