British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What happens if L1/L2 visas expire whilst Green Card Application is pending? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-happens-if-l1-l2-visas-expire-whilst-green-card-application-pending-111393/)

Englishmum Sep 14th 2002 6:04 pm

What happens if L1/L2 visas expire whilst Green Card Application is pending?

We are considering applying for Green Cards; spouse is on an L1 visa and the rest of the family on L2 visas, with a child in Middle school.

What happens if we apply for Green Cards, but then the current L1 & L2 visas expire before the INS makes a decision on whether to approve the GC or not?

Would we have to pack up and return to the UK? Or does the INS annotate our passports so we could stay whilst the decision is pending? Could we still travel overseas too?

Would greatly appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Joachim Feise Sep 14th 2002 8:41 pm

Re: What happens if L1/L2 visas expire whilst Green Card Application

Englishmum wrote:
    > We are considering applying for Green Cards; spouse is on an L1 visa and the rest
    > of the family on L2 visas, with a child in Middle school.
    > What happens if we apply for Green Cards, but then the current L1 & L2 visas expire
    > before the INS makes a decision on whether to approve the GC or not?
    > Would we have to pack up and return to the UK? Or does the INS annotate our
    > passports so we could stay whilst the decision is pending? Could we still travel
    > overseas too?

It depends in which state the GC application is. If an I-485 is filed, you are no
longer in L status, but in "Pending Adjustment of Status". That would keep you legal
even when the L1/L2 expires. Of course, you should get a lawyer for the GC process,
and the lawyer can explain all this in detail.

Englishmum Sep 15th 2002 3:33 am

Re: What happens if L1/L2 visas expire whilst Green Card Application

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Joachim Feise:
Englishmum wrote:
    > We are considering applying for Green Cards; spouse is on an L1 visa and the rest
    > of the family on L2 visas, with a child in Middle school.
    > What happens if we apply for Green Cards, but then the current L1 & L2 visas expire
    > before the INS makes a decision on whether to approve the GC or not?
    > Would we have to pack up and return to the UK? Or does the INS annotate our
    > passports so we could stay whilst the decision is pending? Could we still travel
    > overseas too?

It depends in which state the GC application is. If an I-485 is filed, you are no
longer in L status, but in "Pending Adjustment of Status".

Thank you very much, Joachim. Personally I would love to have another expat posting back in Asia, but my husband loves his job in NYC......so it looks like we will probably go for the Green Cards and his employer has already agreed to sponsor us; the company will arrange for all the legal preparations thank goodness!