Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What happened to the T?

What happened to the T?

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all
Default What happened to the T?

Language is changing all the time, as a student of languages many years ago I keep noticing differences, whether they are peculiar to NC I know not.

Middle T has disappeared from "twenty", "Martin", and several others.

Poor old H doesnt know whether its coming or going, as in otel but not hostel, uman but not hummer, and more.

Love to collect more!

Mar'in
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:05 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happened to the T?

My kids ask for a 'baddle of wadder' drives me ****ing mental.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:12 am
Just Joined

andy620 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the literal pronunciation that always catches my ear.

E.g Today the Fox news reporters always referred to Bob Geldof as GeldoRf, Johannesburg, South Africa as "Hoehannesberg" and did you know that the G8 summit next week will be in Scotland, England.

Happy 4th.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:17 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haldaman
Language is changing all the time, as a student of languages many years ago I keep noticing differences, whether they are peculiar to NC I know not.

Poor old H doesnt know whether its coming or going, as in otel but not hostel, uman but not hummer, and more.

Love to collect more!

Mar'in
Your missing T has been found. It turned up in the unlikeliest of places, right in the middle of our national tennis competition - WimbleTon.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Your missing T has been found. It turned up in the unlikeliest of places, right in the middle of our national tennis competition - WimbleTon.
If you listen carefully, they tend to say "Wimpleton." Sigh.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Love to collect more!

Mar'in
When I was a teenager growing up in Stockport, it was cool to say wa'er, bu'er, twe'y(20), Coun'y (Stockport County), Sa'dy (Saturday), par'y and so on. My Mum used to go mad and tell me that if a word has a T in it I had to pronounce it and I soon got out of the habit of missing T out of words.

25 years later here I am in the US and cannot ever bring myself to pronounce a T as a D. My children do when with friends but with me they always pronounce it correctly.

All my family are from either Stockport or Eccles and none of them pronounce 'er' as 'o' as in Manchesto. This seemed to become popular when the Manchester Bands hit the scene.

Don't get me wrong I have a strong northern accent but it makes me cringe when I hear 'wa'er' etc.

Amand'o' (Sor'ed)
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 2:22 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
My kids ask for a 'baddle of wadder' drives me ****ing mental.
Not surprised - it should be 'boddle of wodder'

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Love to collect more!

Mar'in

Hi Mar'in

With regard to your elusive 'T' - it's also on the run in parts of Yorkshire -my old homeland. Many folks in Leeds and parts of East Yorkshire practice what I believe is called by those who study the subject "the glottal stop" - meaning that the T sound is left at the back of the throat (I think that's accurate?) We had a Mar'in in our office in Leeds - and lots of my workmates pronounced it just like that.

Baddle of wadder in the US drives me mad too - Saying "bottle of water" is likely to bring forth all manner of unwanted beverages - I know from bitter experience!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Mar'in - I remember now! Your report of your DCF exercise on the Marriage site inspired us to go for the same route - the Haldaman effect - LOL!
Thanks (I think!!)
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hi Mar'in

With regard to your elusive 'T' - it's also on the run in parts of Yorkshire -my old homeland. Many folks in Leeds and parts of East Yorkshire practice what I believe is called by those who study the subject "the glottal stop" - meaning that the T sound is left at the back of the throat (I think that's accurate?) We had a Mar'in in our office in Leeds - and lots of my workmates pronounced it just like that.

Baddle of wadder in the US drives me mad too - Saying "bottle of water" is likely to bring forth all manner of unwanted beverages - I know from bitter experience!
Yes Dimsie, glottal stop it is and my Yorkshire ancestors too used it. It is also prevalent in my adopted city of Bristol.
Bristolese is well known for adding an 'l' to the end of words ending in vowels, and I have noticed it here Down South as well in two words, Goldsborough and Swansboro so far.
Mar'n and - even - Car'lyn!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mar'in - I remember now! Your report of your DCF exercise on the Marriage site inspired us to go for the same route - the Haldaman effect - LOL!
Thanks (I think!!)
Good for you, was it as successful as ours?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

Good for you, was it as successful as ours?
Yes, it worked, though we took a little longer than you I think. We probably just got under the wire at the end of August last year. Since then it appears the London Embassy has clamped down somewhat on DCF where the USC has not been resident for a substantial period in the UK. From what I've read on Visa Journey from time to time, several couples have been turned down and told to send their applications to the relevant US Service Centre.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Baddle of wadder in the US drives me mad too - Saying "bottle of water" is likely to bring forth all manner of unwanted beverages - I know from bitter experience!
What about salads consisting of "ledduce" and "tomaydoes"? When ordering lunch I got looks like I was speaking Greek until I realized that I was mispronouncing things!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 4:53 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

The "T' may be missing but the "R" has turned up in all sorts of places as in "Marzda" and "Nissarn".

And the one that gets me "erbs".

Last edited by Lynne; Jul 3rd 2005 at 4:57 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 5:01 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
The "T' may be missing but the "R" has turned up in all sorts of places as in "Marzda" and "Nissarn".

And the one that gets me "erbs".
They sell Neeesarns here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.