Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is a good living wage in the US.

Wikiposts

What is a good living wage in the US.

Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:43 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a good living wage in the US.

Originally Posted by Tracym
Actually, sounds cheap to me - $50 per person is what I heard to budget years ago.

Of course, I'm in the Chicago area (but pretty far from the city). Might manage on that (but I doubt it) in the small town in Michigan I've spent a lot of time in.

For example, gallon of milk here is about $3.00 or so - if I'm lucky.
I had to call my wife and ask... She said we probably average about $150/week for food. Although she shops every two weeks (picking up a few things in between) and says she's never spent $300 in one trip. It's usually more like $170 every two weeks for the "big" grocery trip and lately add $30-$40 at the butcher since we're running low on venison..

Family of four, 8yo girl and 10yo boy.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I had to call my wife and ask... She said we probably average about $150/week for food. Although she shops every two weeks (picking up a few things in between) and says she's never spent $300 in one trip. It's usually more like $170 every two weeks for the "big" grocery trip and lately add $30-$40 at the butcher since we're running low on venison..

Family of four, 8yo girl and 10yo boy.
Well meat can be a big cost

Just from living in two towns (which aren't that different in size really) between Illinois and Michigan - I think I would spend half in Michigan.

Eggs here - $1.99, Michigan $.39 - $.69
Butter here - $3.99, Michigan $2.49

Just for example. There can be tremendous differences it appears, depending upon where you live.

And you're not too wildly different from the other poster then btw... They're averaging $50 per person, you are averaging $37.5. And apparently hunting for a fair portion of your meat, which is one of the more expensive items.

Wait till you have a teenage boy then - your bill will double They're eating machines...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:39 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

You can live very comfortably in a burb of St. Louis on $80K IF you have a decent health ins. package and don't try to live "large."
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:44 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you that STL would be one hell of a lot cheaper than that! $250/week for groceries? Christ....
That would be the max. I ever spent in a week for groceries when buying for my two teenagers, two adults, and two small dogs (plus my beer ration). I did quite a bit of 'above average' cooking also.

Now I just buy for 2 adults and 1 small dog. and my bill is about $75 a week, but we eat out a couple of times a week.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
You can live very comfortably in a burb of St. Louis on $80K IF you have a decent health ins. package and don't try to live "large."
... and don't see a need to visit people back home except once in a blue moon. Those flights to the UK can shoot an 'average' budget to pieces.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
... and don't see a need to visit people back home except once in a blue moon. Those flights to the UK can shoot an 'average' budget to pieces.
I think the questionn still is - I presume the OP wants to keep a similar standard of living to what they had. Grocery costs are different if you're buying filet steak or chicken.

What I still don't really know is - what is their standard of living now? I'm sure for that GBP, it could differ wildly if they're in London or out of the country.

So we seem to be answering somewhat with "What can you get by ok on" - rather than the (difficult) "What would be the equivalent"
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:30 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think the questionn still is - I presume the OP wants to keep a similar standard of living to what they had. Grocery costs are different if you're buying filet steak or chicken.

What I still don't really know is - what is their standard of living now? I'm sure for that GBP, it could differ wildly if they're in London or out of the country.

So we seem to be answering somewhat with "What can you get by ok on" - rather than the (difficult) "What would be the equivalent"
I agree. However, trips home should be a consideration for anyone who is considering emigration. Very few people can or want to cut ties entirely, particularly if they are close to their parents. (During the last 3 years of my mum's life I made at least a dozen trips home...)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

_jon_ will become famous soon enough_jon_ will become famous soon enough

We live in Worcestershire.

Our outgoings for mortgage, bills and insurance come in at £1700 per month, £1000 of that being the mortgage.

Wife has company car but we pay private fuel. I have a small £3K car and we have 2 Harleys.

We spend about £500 on the shopping bill, maybe a little less.

Our eating out varies now we have the baby, but easily spend £100 eating out per month (Balti's are cheap...).

Our income after tax and pensions must be about £3400, our outgoings come to £2600 ish, so a disposable income of £900 - £1000 per month.

Her company supply a great benefits package with health and dental Stateside.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:53 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

don't forget you'll need to save for college for the kids.

We're screwed unless we can get a skateboarding/BMX/Paintball/XBox360 scholarship for our son.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:37 am
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr

We're screwed unless we can get a skateboarding/BMX/Paintball/XBox360 scholarship for our son.
I here ya, we tried for that scholarship too but application was rejected. Seems that you have to fill out in standard English, not IM lingo.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Sep 19th 2008 at 4:40 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
I agree. However, trips home should be a consideration for anyone who is considering emigration. Very few people can or want to cut ties entirely, particularly if they are close to their parents. (During the last 3 years of my mum's life I made at least a dozen trips home...)
I'm sorry Elvira, I didn't really mean to quote you on my reply

I agree with you entirely - my comment was intended to apply to the thread overall, I didn't mean it in response to what you said.

I would think the expense of trips home would be a consideration, especially with 5 people.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:42 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr

I'm giving my kids the same deal my wife got... If you are in school full time you can stay at home for free and use one of the cars. If not, you pay rent, and are responsible for your own transport, so you better work. Tuition was her responsibility.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone's hunting for their dinner, ABY.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:09 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by meauxna
Not everyone's hunting for their dinner, ABY.
More for me!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

More for me!
One of my favorite sayings!

So tell me... how DOES possum taste? Let me guess... chicken...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.