Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Good Airline?

What Good Airline?

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Hugh Jaas will become famous soon enoughHugh Jaas will become famous soon enough
Default What Good Airline?

Just read the thread on ‘flying with Baby’( great advice from all) anyone know flown with American Airlines? From Heathrow to LA? I have been recommended Virgin very highly, but they are expensive. I’ve heard good things about BA too.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 1:06 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Good Airline?

Originally Posted by Hugh Jaas
Just read the thread on ‘flying with Baby’( great advice from all) anyone know flown with American Airlines? From Heathrow to LA? I have been recommended Virgin very highly, but they are expensive. I’ve heard good things about BA too.
I've always flown with BA, and have never had a problem with them. Of course the ultimate test will come in November when we fly back to England for a couple of weeks with a 9 month old. From what I've been told and seen, they are very good when it comes to looking after small children and babies, and I know that anyone with youngsters is seated on the plane first.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with Virgin just once, they are great for dwarves and people without legs, .... I'm over 6ft and flyng Virgin again would be a last resort for me.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've flown with Virgin just once, they are great for dwarves and people without legs, .... I'm over 6ft and flyng Virgin again would be a last resort for me.
Best bet is getting the seats in business class, if you can't, I know they ain't cheap the ones' nearest the front, by the bogs, and the wing exit doors have loads of leg room.....
But BA is really good overall if you have kids, if not, eco seats aren't that great
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 7:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Best bet is .... the ones' nearest the front, by the bogs,, ..... have loads of leg room.....
I tried that once, but never again. There might be more room between the front edge of the seat and bulkhead than between the front edge of a regular seat and the back of the seat in front, but with the bulkhead there is nowhere to stretch your legs and feet underneath. I'd take a regular seat any, and every, time compared to a bulkhead seat.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:19 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I tried that once, but never again. There might be more room between the front edge of the seat and bulkhead than between the front edge of a regular seat and the back of the seat in front, but with the bulkhead there is nowhere to stretch your legs and feet underneath. I'd take a regular seat any, and every, time compared to a bulkhead seat.
We flew BA sitting at the bulkhead as we were using the fold down shelf to put a baby cot on. Even with the shelf folded down, we still got cheeky twats cutting across between the seat and the bulkhead to access the toilet on the other aisle.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:33 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

I've flown AA from Chicago to Heathrow and they were pretty good and our economy seats had extra leg room. Most of the big airlines are pretty good flying long haul. I've flown BA, AA, Virgin, United & Continental long haul with no problems. Wouldn't touch Air India with a barge pole though...
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by DaveC
..., we still got cheeky twats cutting across between the seat and the bulkhead to access the toilet on the other aisle.
Seems reasonable to me, if there is room to pass through, as the alternative is to walk half way, or more, down the plane to find a cross over point.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 9:02 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Seems reasonable to me, if there is room to pass through, as the alternative is to walk half way, or more, down the plane to find a cross over point.
The point being, Pulaski, that there was no room when we were sitting in our seats and the shelf was folded down with the baby in the cot. These dicks squeezed through without even an "excuse me."
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by DaveC
The point being, Pulaski, that there was no room when we were sitting in our seats and the shelf was folded down with the baby in the cot. These dicks squeezed through without even an "excuse me."
Yeah, I get/got what you are saying, but the other passengers would see it differently, and I see it as a six-of-one-and-half-a-dozen-of-the-other situation, which is another good reason not to take a bulkhead seat.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 9:37 pm
100% Pure

Fair enough, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree! We solved the problem on the return flight by putting our hand luggage on the floor for my wife to rest her feet on - she has very short legs!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

jockf is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew with Virgin from Heathrow to LA, the secret for a cheap fare is book with continental airways as they fly Virgin. I paid £280 return with continental and was flying next to people on a Virgin flight who had paid £450 +. I can also agree with the rest of the guys about the leg room...... there is more legroom on a cattle truck. I asked for extra legroom at check in and was directed to a sign, which asked for another £75 each to sit in an emergency exit!! yip I am well gonna pay for that responsibility!!!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

We flew American Airlines from LA to Heathrow in July.... The flight was economy... All in all a good flight... Food wasn't bad... Had the salmon... Flight attendants were very helpful... We travelled with our 4 kids by the way... I can't fault anything about the flight...

British Airways in comparison... Have no complaints except the attendants were not as helpful....

One thing.... NEVER!! use air france if you have a connecting flight!! It was disgusting!!!!

Virgin... They give that little extra..... You pay for it..... Thats life...

Depends what you want in your life.... A to B, or A to B with a bit of fluffy extra.....
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We've flown 3 times before our little one was a year old. Two times with Virgin and the third time was with BMI. Virgin was excellent. BMI was ok, except there was a moronic p**k posing as a flight attendant who kept looking daggers at our daughter, and she wasn't even crying. Anyway, I'd fly Virgin with a child, very understanding flight attendants!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jockf
I flew with Virgin from Heathrow to LA, the secret for a cheap fare is book with continental airways as they fly Virgin. I paid £280 return with continental and was flying next to people on a Virgin flight who had paid £450 +. I can also agree with the rest of the guys about the leg room...... there is more legroom on a cattle truck. I asked for extra legroom at check in and was directed to a sign, which asked for another £75 each to sit in an emergency exit!! yip I am well gonna pay for that responsibility!!!

LOL Have to agree about booking with Continental. I can't believe they get away with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.