Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What the *****!!! Beef

What the *****!!! Beef

Old Nov 12th 2003, 6:56 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default What the *****!!! Beef

What the hell happened to the price of beef, I just went to the Supermarket for my normal weekly shop and the price of steak has gone through the roof! It was about $4 cheaper last week. Mince, steak in fact anything cow related has shot up, this seems to have pulled the price of chicken up a bit too!

Beans on toast for tea!

Patrick
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

No shit, i was in the supermarket at the weekend and actually asked the butcher if it was for real. Looks like im gonna have to go back to my british diet of pot noodles! I dont know why its shot up like it has, i saw something breifly on the news but on caught the tail end and no real facts
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

you've actually found pot noodles in the US ?

We're on a strict chicken and pork diet now .. cant afford beef or lamb, I'll let you know if the family start clucking or oinking lol !

Jan
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

There was something on the news about this yesterday. Seems to be something to do with the mad cow break out in Canada. They interviewed a US farmer who was enjoying the renewed profits, but was worried that there would be an eventual backlash by the consumer.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...in-beef11.html
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:49 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Arse-about-face innit. The beef is all diseased, let's make it more expensive. Go figure.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:57 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I go to Costco's and buy it in larger packs!

I think all groceries have doubled in the last 5 years... it's no fun (not that it ever was) buying for 5 now as my boys eat more than I do!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we are going to Costco now, after we spent $10 dollars at Frys for a bag of Chicken breasts that had just 5 in it. They were big buggers mind you.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:18 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

The price of lamb is a joke, we had it this weekend and it was $45 for a piece that would have been about 15 quid back home..... mind you it was worth it!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:47 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

It's good to be veggie.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 12:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
The price of lamb is a joke, we had it this weekend and it was $45 for a piece that would have been about 15 quid back home..... mind you it was worth it!
I find the price of lamb in the US to be slightly cheaper than in the UK. However, as in both countries lamb is more expensive than beef, chicken and pork.

RoB1833- was that a roast you had at the weekend? Yum!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

had a Pork Phall last night with Pork from Giant. It was only $ 1.99 a lb for the meat. Where do you get Fenugreek from in NoVA ?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
had a Pork Phall last night with Pork from Giant. It was only $ 1.99 a lb for the meat. Where do you get Fenugreek from in NoVA ?
If you have them in your area, if I were you I'd check Asian and Indian grocery stores. They'd probably be located in neighborhoods where those ethnic groups live.

At least that's what I've found in my area.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 13th 2003, 1:53 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Scrumpy....There are some Asian and Indian spice and produce stores around NoVa, one in Herndon off of Elden Street...IndoPac spices...and there is another in Centreville where you can get some decent chipatis (spelling?)

PoW
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

RubyWine is an unknown quantity at this point

When 'mad cow' hit UK, the price of chicken, pork and lamb shot up!! wait for it to happen here !

Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you have them in your area, if I were you I'd check Asian and Indian grocery stores. They'd probably be located in neighborhoods where those ethnic groups live.

At least that's what I've found in my area.

NC Penguin
I tried Globa ( Asian / Hispanic ) & they had never heard of it lol.
Hopefully going to Fairfax Saturday to an Indian shop I have heard good things about. But will get Mother to send over red cross parcel of spices, much cheaper in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.