British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What the F*ck!!! Beef (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-f%2Ack-beef-190639/)

Patrick Nov 12th 2003 6:56 pm

What the F*ck!!! Beef

What the hell happened to the price of beef, I just went to the Supermarket for my normal weekly shop and the price of steak has gone through the roof! It was about $4 cheaper last week. Mince, steak in fact anything cow related has shot up, this seems to have pulled the price of chicken up a bit too!

Beans on toast for tea!

Patrick

lanky1980 Nov 12th 2003 7:11 pm

No shit, i was in the supermarket at the weekend and actually asked the butcher if it was for real. Looks like im gonna have to go back to my british diet of pot noodles! I dont know why its shot up like it has, i saw something breifly on the news but on caught the tail end and no real facts

Jan Alaska Nov 12th 2003 7:16 pm

you've actually found pot noodles in the US ?

We're on a strict chicken and pork diet now .. cant afford beef or lamb, I'll let you know if the family start clucking or oinking lol !

Jan :)

Pimpbot Nov 12th 2003 7:38 pm

There was something on the news about this yesterday. Seems to be something to do with the mad cow break out in Canada. They interviewed a US farmer who was enjoying the renewed profits, but was worried that there would be an eventual backlash by the consumer.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...in-beef11.html

JulianB Nov 12th 2003 7:49 pm

Arse-about-face innit. The beef is all diseased, let's make it more expensive. Go figure.

BrigieDarling Nov 12th 2003 8:57 pm

I go to Costco's and buy it in larger packs!

I think all groceries have doubled in the last 5 years... it's no fun (not that it ever was) buying for 5 now as my boys eat more than I do! :mad:

Pimpbot Nov 12th 2003 9:03 pm

Yep, we are going to Costco now, after we spent $10 dollars at Frys for a bag of Chicken breasts that had just 5 in it. They were big buggers mind you.

RoB1833 Nov 12th 2003 10:18 pm

The price of lamb is a joke, we had it this weekend and it was $45 for a piece that would have been about 15 quid back home..... mind you it was worth it! :D

scotch03 Nov 13th 2003 1:47 am

It's good to be veggie.

NC Penguin Nov 13th 2003 12:55 pm

Originally posted by RoB1833
The price of lamb is a joke, we had it this weekend and it was $45 for a piece that would have been about 15 quid back home..... mind you it was worth it! :D
I find the price of lamb in the US to be slightly cheaper than in the UK. However, as in both countries lamb is more expensive than beef, chicken and pork.

RoB1833- was that a roast you had at the weekend? Yum! :)

NC Penguin

doctor scrumpy Nov 13th 2003 1:17 pm

had a Pork Phall last night with Pork from Giant. It was only $ 1.99 a lb for the meat. Where do you get Fenugreek from in NoVA ?

NC Penguin Nov 13th 2003 1:28 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
had a Pork Phall last night with Pork from Giant. It was only $ 1.99 a lb for the meat. Where do you get Fenugreek from in NoVA ?
If you have them in your area, if I were you I'd check Asian and Indian grocery stores. They'd probably be located in neighborhoods where those ethnic groups live.

At least that's what I've found in my area.

NC Penguin

PrincessofWales Nov 13th 2003 1:53 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Scrumpy....There are some Asian and Indian spice and produce stores around NoVa, one in Herndon off of Elden Street...IndoPac spices...and there is another in Centreville where you can get some decent chipatis (spelling?)

PoW

RubyWine Nov 13th 2003 3:04 pm

When 'mad cow' hit UK, the price of chicken, pork and lamb shot up!! wait for it to happen here !

:eek:

doctor scrumpy Nov 13th 2003 3:07 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you have them in your area, if I were you I'd check Asian and Indian grocery stores. They'd probably be located in neighborhoods where those ethnic groups live.

At least that's what I've found in my area.

NC Penguin
I tried Globa ( Asian / Hispanic ) & they had never heard of it lol.
Hopefully going to Fairfax Saturday to an Indian shop I have heard good things about. But will get Mother to send over red cross parcel of spices, much cheaper in the UK.