Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to expect from an employer

What to expect from an employer

Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:09 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to expect from an employer

It is small family owned company. That may be all they could afford. Not every expat works for a multinational company with deep pockets.

The owner sounds very naive regarding the costs and administration required to set up in the USA, many are. There is nothing wrong with that. The ones that persevere are the ones that learn from the initial experience and build on it. A handful do, so maybe this is just Chapter One.

Maybe they could look at partnering with someone already in the USA, something like a franchise. There are many small businesses owners that would be interested in such an opportunity. The OP could then liaise with that person, travel over here to train them and review progress on a regular basis. That would get a foot in the door and who knows where it could lead.

Old Dec 8th 2020, 4:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The OP could then liaise with that person, travel over here to train them and review progress on a regular basis. That would get a foot in the door and who knows where it could lead.
That would (on the face of it) seem permissible on the VWP though, would not require a visa.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least one person in your family is being realistic. I think for that money they might be able to find a local part-timer or an ad-hoc contractor to do what needs to be done here. It’s definitely not worth turning your life upside down for.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 9:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned, that's not a great salary, but more to the point, it's pretty clear the company doesn't really have a plan about starting up an entity over here. I'm not necessarily faulting them, but they do sound a bit naive in what having a US operation is going to entail.

If you are still interested, I would spend the next few weeks writing a business plan for operations in the USA. Look at the costs you anticipate for everything from legal to office space to staff, etc (there are plenty of websites that will help you make a budget) and then also give yourself a reasonable salary for a management position such as the one you propose (2x or 3x their offer). Go to them with the whole thing in a package deal and see if they are interested.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you are still interested, I would spend the next few weeks writing a business plan for operations in the USA. Look at the costs you anticipate for everything from legal to office space to staff, etc (there are plenty of websites that will help you make a budget) and then also give yourself a reasonable salary for a management position such as the one you propose (2x or 3x their offer). Go to them with the whole thing in a package deal and see if they are interested.
I think that's a brilliant idea.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear.. To put it in perspective I quintupled my wage moving from UK to USA and that was 17 years ago. I was not managerial or anything like that. In UK I was on a pretty crappy 20k in London at the time. I thought I would be super rich in los angeles with a house with swimming pool.. I have never felt poorer living in the USA. It's a constant mystery to me how seemingly I earn so much more than my UK counterparts and yet have to decide if I should splash out and buy some sausages at the supermarket (Sausages in our local supermarket are now $8 for 4!). Of course LA is very expensive compared to Nevada but not that much so in many ways. Health insurance alone can be incredibly expensive. Sorry this one is a non starter for sure.