Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What exactly is better about the US?

Wikiposts

What exactly is better about the US?

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What exactly is better about the US?

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I believe it's possible to travel to Seville from NYC.
Indeed, but not for an easy long weekend such as from the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_calling
If that's what you want, then you are obviously in the wrong country.
Something I would think you would be aware of before you came.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the earlier comment that a lot of Americans are brainwashed into believing this is the greatest country in the world. That said, I enjoy it here. Having a good job defintly helps. I don't have the best paid job in the world, but it pays enough to allow me to do the things I want and I enjoy it. I've found the accent goes a long way over here to. Sure occasionally have to put up with the fascination of 1776 (people here can't believe that the war isn't taught in UK schools. I delight in telling them we have a lot more history to chose from when selecting what gets taught). I'm lucky in that I've got a couple of real good friends here too. One, we constantly refer to each other by increasingly derogatory words, it's almost like he's English. I think I'm fairly fortunate though. If I really didn't enjoy it here, 8i think I'd be looking to head back home.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not dull at all. I'm talking about the country as a whole.

By meaningful travel.. would you rather visit Seville or Oklahoma City?
The one thing I have found over the years we have lived here is there is always something to see and do. Free, cheap or expensive, 1 hour away or 10 hours and there are certainly some beautiful and spectacular views and scenery to see.

I also have found over the years that a weekend trip of travel 300 or 400miles away is nothing, but doing that in the UK would mean a weeks vacation!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in the US for thirty years. I live in SW GA, the buckle of the bible belt. It's a bloody nightmare, so yes, religion is an issue for me. I was actually reported to my HR Dept, for being a "non believer".

My American husband died two years ago, I would have left then, but I have two adult sons that are American. As my sons are here, I live here. I am fortunate that I have a ton of paid time off, and that I can go back to the UK and spend time with my mum and sisters on a regular basis. I have spent the last couple of summers in the UK, by the end of August I am ready to come back to the US. I have a lifestyle here that I don't think that I could have in the UK. I am trying (with some success) to have the best of both worlds.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The one thing I have found over the years we have lived here is there is always something to see and do. Free, cheap or expensive, 1 hour away or 10 hours and there are certainly some beautiful and spectacular views and scenery to see.

I also have found over the years that a weekend trip of travel 300 or 400miles away is nothing, but doing that in the UK would mean a weeks vacation!
I fully agree but the same is true of Europe. That was my point. Btw I see you're in Texas. I recently had a very enjoyable weekend in Austin, despite the insane heat!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree but the same is true of Europe. That was my point. Btw I see you're in Texas. I recently had a very enjoyable weekend in Austin, despite the insane heat!
We are on the gulf Coast which is not as pretty as Austin but we spend a lot of our time off riding our trike along the coast. It's relaxing

It takes time to get the " but this isn't Europe " feeling out of your head. If you settle you will appreciate your surroundings more and hey, Europe isn't going anywhere. You might not visit so often but when you do you will probably see it differently ( and I mean that in a good way)
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

but was it meaningful.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnwoo
but was it meaningful.
In the same way as a decent night out in Williamsburg, yes.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I did San Francisco to Bilbao for a wedding on a long weekend

Worked thursday and flew evening via London, into Bilbao Friday afternoon. Wedding Saturday (it being a spanish wedding...we were dancing till 5am), ate my body weight in tapas on Sunday afternoon and evening, flew back on Monday - back at my desk Tuesday morning before going to Asia for a business trip that Thursday for 2 weeks

Would do it again in a heart beat.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Perspective from Bay Area here:

There's doesn't seem to be such things as "quality of life" here.
I have come to terms with the fact that I have to change what I feel are 'qualities' if I am to remain sane.

-No holiday (vacation) time - unless you've been been with a company for years.
This does depend on where you work and your industry. My OH (techy) has unlimited time off. Before his company changed to unlimited recently he had 20 days off a year which is a lot for US companies. I did just read on another forum about a woman 'going back to work after the baby part time, 30-35 hours a week' and almost snorted. PART TIME!

-No chance to go travel abroad, because of the aforementioned issue.
For us the price of flights is prohibitive most of the time. We're exploring the US instead: it's vast, there is no need to ever leave it, which is why most Americans don't.

-The healthcare system is an abomination.
It is. To be fair though, the quality of care we have received (and my OH has a chronic condition) has been exemplary. The costs, the admin, the willingness to hand our hardcore pharmaceuticals to anyone all the time is a joke.

-The people all seem to struggle understanding anyone who doesn't have an American accent
-I am absolutely fed up of being asked where I'm from 20 times a day
-Nobody gets my English humour at all, so I have simply stopped telling jokes.
Don't have this problem but that's because here in SF we are basically an Indian/Chinese majority so no one bats an eyelash at the accent. The humour, yes, I've given up too after getting into too many awkward situations. I search out British people and that is the only way.

-Don't have any friends because I can't connect with people here on any meaningful level.
See above. Although I have met far more 'genuine' people from the East Coast. Not got a single Californian friend. Once they realise you cannot further their career in any way, you are discarded. Plus, people don't go out drinking much (drive an hour to have one drink in a bar). No one over the age of 25 seems to do anything involving alcohol. My local bar shuts at midnight. I'm always the last person in there.

-Struggle to pay the rent and bills because of aforementioned issue.
Don't move to SF then. Prices are insane and I will never ever get used to it. Sure we earn more but then you spend all of it on having a roof over your head. Quality is shit. Everyone is out to trick you out of your money.

So yeah I ask myself on a daily basis why I am here. And I still don't really know. The weather is good. I can drive to a ski slope. It's the best place to be if you're in the IT world right now. I miss my friends terribly. I miss my old life terribly. I miss popping out for a quick pint at 10pm and a chat (but then again all my mates are now 'with child' or multiples of them so that probably wouldn't be happening anyway). I do think it's harder to meet people the older you get.

Have you asked your GF if she'd like to move to the UK with you?

Last edited by sherbert; Nov 2nd 2016 at 4:22 pm. Reason: fixing html
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
No one over the age of 25 seems to do anything involving alcohol. My local bar shuts at midnight. I'm always the last person in there.
Where in the bay area are you?!?!? I'm in Inner Sunset of San Francisco and all the bars are open till 2am, and it's a healthy mixture of ages in a lot of the time. Likewise..most things we're invited to (at least work related) are booze infested.

We're in our early 30's and are definitely not the oldest in the bars by a longshot.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Out in the sticks...
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BoxerBrad
Americans keep telling me that this is greatest country in the world. I have lived and visited many different nations, and I am just not seeing it!
Which always reminds me of this:

If you go to Canada you'll hear that many Canadians think theirs is the greatest country in the world. Many Australians think Australia is the greatest country. According to this study, they have a better case than the Americans. Although the UK is even higher in these rankings. Maybe you should try there!

America Is Not the Greatest Country on Earth. It’s No. 28 - Bloomberg
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

30% of Americans, those with 4 year college degrees are financially better of and can afford to have a quality of life. The rest, I think are hard done by and unhappy with life. This is reflected in mental health rate, maternal mortality, violent crime and homelessness.

I find it really hard to empathize with the poor here, it must really suck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.