Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What exactly is better about the US?

What exactly is better about the US?

Old Nov 4th 2016, 1:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What exactly is better about the US?

What happened to the OP? He appears to have gone AWOL.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because the train service is shit/expensive and once you've gotten to the other end, there's no way to get about and do anything without a car?
Uber's everywhere now - at least it's out here in G-Vegas so I can't imagine it's not somewhere that's actually worth travelling to on a train.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
No I was thinking of Jeremy Clarkson.

"If your A level results are disappointing, don't worry. I got a C and two Us, and I'm currently on a super yacht in the Med."
What are A levels, ain't got none of those and I've done OK since being here.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What happened to the OP? He appears to have gone AWOL.
More likely than not, a one hit wonder.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Mirage88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by US.tax.attorney
Sounds like your job situation might be clouding your view. When you're unhappy with your job, life is unbearable. Do something you enjoy. That's the great thing about the US. If there's a will, there's a way.
Agreed a lot of us are miserable because of job situation and get a job with better pay and do something you enjoy makes a big difference in quality and happiness of life. Having said that, this "that's the great thing about the US. If there's a will, there's a way" - that works everywhere for people regardless of which country you are in, from the richest in Western Europe and North America to the poorest 3rd world countries in east Africa.. how do you think there are so many North Koreans managed to get out of the regime each year?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mirage88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I initially read this as 'free car parks', of which of course there are now NONE in the UK. Paying for car parking with aggressive charges is a pet hate about the UK for me.
Like wise and you know what I do in that case, I drove a little further try to find free off street parking spot, there are even apps that help you do that these days
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mirage88
Like wise and you know what I do in that case, I drove a little further try to find free off street parking spot, there are even apps that help you do that these days
The last time I drove to London (cheaper than the train - especially given the cost of parking at a station! , easy, and more flexible too), I used "parkathyhouse.co.uk" (now apparently known as "justpark.com"). We were able to park about a 5 minute walk from Kew Gardens station for IIRC £14 for two whole days - we were staying at a hotel in central London.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

TXLonghorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mirage88
Agreed a lot of us are miserable because of job situation and get a job with better pay and do something you enjoy makes a big difference in quality and happiness of life. Having said that, this "that's the great thing about the US. If there's a will, there's a way" - that works everywhere for people regardless of which country you are in, from the richest in Western Europe and North America to the poorest 3rd world countries in east Africa.. how do you think there are so many North Koreans managed to get out of the regime each year?
This comment hints at a bit of ignorance likely due to a lack of experience and perspective. As a person who grew up in a 3rd world country, I can tell you that it is possible to improve your life situation anywhere, but what is the likelihood? In a typical 3rd world country you have little to no access to loans which means you're severely limited in your advancement. You might not be able to afford college. You may have a brilliant idea but you have no access to small business loans. Your best bet in this type of situation is to save up your meager earnings to send your children to college. I've seen many, many more people move up the ladder in the US than I have elsewhere.

Second, I assume the poster has a modicum of self-awareness. Otherwise, you can't set realistic expectations for yourself. I also assume he has the determination and patience required to take action. Without these traits, you're not going to get anywhere regardless of which country you are in, unless you happen to be born into wealth.

Last edited by TXLonghorn; Nov 4th 2016 at 4:39 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I initially read this as 'free car parks', of which of course there are now NONE in the UK. Paying for car parking with aggressive charges is a pet hate about the UK for me.
That's if you can find a space to park. I love being able to drive somewhere, park in less than a minute and not have to pay. I forget about the parking stress in the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Paid $58 to park in SF the other day (all day, for a conference).
Old Nov 4th 2016, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
More likely than not, a one hit wonder.
Probably in shock at the 'response' from certain people and wondering if he should bother coming back and sifting through the 341355 posts to find the 3 with useful information in them . <guilty as charged with this one>.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert
Probably in shock at the 'response' from certain people and wondering if he should bother coming back and sifting through the 341355 posts to find the 3 with useful information in them. .....
Well the OP asked a string of questions, and concluded with ".... And which country did you prefer, and why? " meaning that between the various questions he asked ending with a catch-all, pretty much every post has been "on topic", ..... improbable though that seems for BE.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 7:41 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well the OP asked a string of questions, and concluded with ".... And which country did you prefer, and why? " meaning that between the various questions he asked ending with a catch-all, pretty much every post has been "on topic", ..... improbable though that seems for BE.
No-one's started arguing about food yet, which has to be a first.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I visit the US for work regularly, as well as a number of emerging and developing markets. I live in Dubai - the pure definition of hell for many people.

In my opinion, the US has few redeeming features, and I hate going there. Oddly, they believe it's the centre of the universe, yet, I find it an inward looking backwater. Give me Asia, Europe or even the Middle East any day over the US.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
No-one's started arguing about food yet, ....
Nor the design and functionality of laundry appliances!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.